Moving to Brisbane

KeeH

I have just received my visa to move to Australia with my partner and two children 8 and 2. We have decided to re-locate to Brisbane. Is there anyone who could recommend areas of Brisbane? We are looking for an area with decent priced housing around $350-$450 budget, and also somewhere with a school. Thank you

Too broader question I think, you cover a fair area with that criteria at present, where will you be working? commute distance/time? what sort of area do you want to be in, near the coast or further inland, or near the city?

If you can give a little more detail it will better help people to help you.

We live in Brisbane baysides, birkdale. It's ideal as you have the beach although it's not like the bigger beaches, it's more like a bay with a cafe and a pier but still nice it's 50 minutes to the Gold Coast and just over an hour to the sunny coast. Brisbane cbd is 25 minutes drive away. Maybe try places like birkdale, wellington point, thorneside, manly and maybe cleveland. We also have a great English curry place and an English shop and fish and chip shop here in birkdale which is popular with Brits. But as Keith and Linda said, give us a bit more info to what you are after :-)

Best advice I would give is base your home on where you will be working. No good living Bayside if working in the West. No good living North of the river if working on the South!

Personally I stay away from all the British stuff and places that all the Brits seem to flock to. I wanted to emigrate, not find another UK! But you have to work out what is right for you, what is important, and what you're looking for beyond the basics...

As the others have said its a broad question.

First priority should be securing work and then finding an area within a reasonable commute that fits your budget. Every suburb has schools or easy access to them so really dont worry about that.

Cal x

Thanks guys, at present I have not got a secured job. I am a boxer and will be using a gym in Nathan to train from. As part of my training I will have a job that fits around my schedule around the same area. Travelling to the CBD or Gold/Sunshine coast, wouldn't be a problem however not to far as both myself and my partner both drive. I'm just looking for an easy going friendly area that's good to raise my children and meet new friends. I'm sure having never been to Australia before, with all the research we have done it has more to offer in terms of quality of life than the other major cities?

Well if your going to be training in Nathan, the areas slightly north east of there are quite nice, Mount Gravatt, Carindale, Coorparoo, Morningside etc. I lived in Coorparoo for about a year and really liked it. Close to the city but still not far to drive to the Gold Coast :)

Well if your going to be training in Nathan, the areas slightly north east of there are quite nice, Mount Gravatt, Carindale, Coorparoo, Morningside etc. I lived in Coorparoo for about a year and really liked it. Close to the city but still not far to drive to the Gold Coast :)

Yep, I know a few people that live in Coorparoo too and like it, Camp Hill is another suburb, next one along. I have friends who are happy there - some nice little primary schools in the area too.

Hi Kee, I have just been doing a bit of research for top primary schools in this area for one of my clients relocating from India. They are working in murrarrie.

In the top 50 are Belmont, Bulimba, Coorparoo, Norman Park, Seven Hills, Tingalpa, Buranda, and the Manly out near the coast.

He is looking at Bulimba pretty closely at the moment and we are going to show him Manly today. Any further help required just PM me.

Prepair for an experience when looking at houses here, Im not the most positive person about the place, the cost of housing is one of the main reasons I'm heading back to the UK. Hopefully you will find something your happy with, just be prepaired, some of the prices they ask are mental.

They charge per 2 weeks so in effect you pay 13months rent a year, just something to notice.

Prepair for an experience when looking at houses here, Im not the most positive person about the place, the cost of housing is one of the main reasons I'm heading back to the UK. Hopefully you will find something your happy with, just be prepaired, some of the prices they ask are mental.

They charge per 2 weeks so in effect you pay 13months rent a year, just something to notice.

As a lot of people get paid fortnightly its like getting paid for 13 months! Awesome!

Yeah very good, very helpful. Im just trying to make the people aware that its not rent per month as it is in the UK, sorry to burst your little bubble but most get paid twice a month here, most on the 15th of each month then the last day of the month. So you can have three two week rent payments to make in one month which has to be budgeted for...just trying to let people know how it really is here.

Yeah very good, very helpful. Im just trying to make the people aware that its not rent per month as it is in the UK, sorry to burst your little bubble but most get paid twice a month here, most on the 15th of each month then the last day of the month. So you can have three two week rent payments to make in one month which has to be budgeted for...just trying to let people know how it really is here.

Not wishing to argue with you or burst your bubble, but rent is $xx per week, and the frequency of paying this could vary from agent to agent, state to state, but surely it's not rocket science to work out what you pay each month, and the vast majority of folk are intelligent enough to be able to work that out.

But back to the maths, 2 payments per month, times 12 months = 24 payments, therefor there are only 2 months per year, when an, lets say, extra payment will be needed to make up the 26 payments for the 52 week year, and things like this have been happening in the UK like forever, and not just on house rent

Also where do you get the figures that says most people get paid twice a month, I and most people I know get paid either weekly or monthly, with the monthly payment date being variable, some pay mid month thus paying half in advance and half in arrears.

Lots of lovely places Southside - I am based in Tarragindi, have also lived in Mt Gravatt East. Holland Park and Carindale. Holland Park has a lovely primary school but you have to be in catchment. $450 isn't that much this close to the city - I have found Carindale offers good value for money rent wise, or you could move a little further out (Wishart isn't bad...)

Archived