pack yourself or have the movers do it???

clan mac

Hi,

Should we let the movers pack our stuff or should we do it (as recommended by one company). What are others experiences please?

Check the insurance terms and conditions. Most insurance policies won't cover you for damage or breakage if you pack stuff yourself. So you have to weigh up the extra cost of professional packing vs the loss if stuff gets damaged.

If you're packing in a container or Movecube, I suspect you'd fit more in yourself, strangely enough. Professional packers tend to go overboard with padding etc (for obvious reasons - they're liable if things break!) and won't take the time to find the little corners to squeeze things into.

We packed almost everything ourselves, we saved a certain amount per cubic square feet doing this. But in hindsight I'd have let them do it. We aren't the most organised of families and we were still packing on the morning we left for the flight here !! We underestimated completely the size of the task we had set ourselves.

Also we managed to pack a tiny paper mâché box which we kept cufflinks in, cost at purchase - nothing we received a gift in it. Cost to destroy when it arrived here $250!!!

Guess a lot if it depends on your overall logistics if when you plan to leave the UK and arrive in Oz.

Thanks for the helpful replies, I think i'm gonna let the movers do it! Did you guys use the movers insurance or did you insure independantly through LP????

Sincere thanks

Lola x

We went for the shipping companies insurance for total loss only. I think the premium was around 2 - 3 % of the sum insured. I think it was higher if you wanted to insure for damage as well. As we packed ourselves this wasn't an option for us as I believe Rupert is correct in saying that if you pack yourself breakages aren't covered.

Archived