backpacking and money

becky4131

Hi guys,

New to the site but had a good read of a few threads and lots of great info on here :)

I will be landing in Sydney on 13th May after a 3 days stopover in Hong Kong to start my 12 months in Aus on WHV.

I have saved approx £6500-£7000 so hoping to travel around a bit before i have to start working (i hope for at least 3 months). Im unsure on how to bring the money with me....i was thinking of taking £100 worth hong kong dollars for stopover and small amount australian dollars for arrival and then open a bank account in Sydney and transfer sum of money from UK account to Aus account.

Do you think this is the best way to do it? I will have my debit card as back up until funds transferred and means i don't have to carry large amounts of cash.

What does everyone else do regarding bringing money?

Hi guys,

New to the site but had a good read of a few threads and lots of great info on here :)

I will be landing in Sydney on 13th May after a 3 days stopover in Hong Kong to start my 12 months in Aus on WHV.

I have saved approx £6500-£7000 so hoping to travel around a bit before i have to start working (i hope for at least 3 months). Im unsure on how to bring the money with me....i was thinking of taking £100 worth hong kong dollars for stopover and small amount australian dollars for arrival and then open a bank account in Sydney and transfer sum of money from UK account to Aus account.

Do you think this is the best way to do it? I will have my debit card as back up until funds transferred and means i don't have to carry large amounts of cash.

What does everyone else do regarding bringing money?

When I travel now and when I travelled for six months, I simply used my UK bank accounts and credit cards, I never carry any more cash when travelling than I ever would. They all work perfectly well in most parts of the world. Australian bank account is a good idea though and will be necessary once you pick up work.

Thank you!

I have pretty much everything else sorted but never even thought about the mone situation.

I really hope the money does last me 6 months....im not a big party person or drinker and been that little bit older (27 by time i get to Aus) i think il be sensible with spending.

Taken me 2 years to get to this stage...sold my property, car and belongings so really hope its as great as i perceive it to be :)

Only 2 weeks to go!!

Archived