Christian claims she was sacked for her beliefs

paulv

I disagree. Unless there is a very good reason, people should not be required to do things that they are uncomfortable with as part of their job. If it was essential for the children to be read a book about same sex parents then surely there would be someone else in the nursery who could have read the book to the children.

Would you say the same if it was a pacifist being asked to read books about the army? Or a Ukrainian books about the glories of Russia? Or a vegetarian about the animal slaughter process?

It seems to me that this is about oppression of a minority, in this case, those with religious beliefs.

I disagree. Unless there is a very good reason, people should not be required to do things that they are uncomfortable with as part of their job. If it was essential for the children to be read a book about same sex parents then surely there would be someone else in the nursery who could have read the book to the children.

Would you say the same if it was a pacifist being asked to read books about the army? Or a Ukrainian books about the glories of Russia? Or a vegetarian about the animal slaughter process?

It seems to me that this is about oppression of a minority, in this case, those with religious beliefs.

Reading to children is one of the most important things you can do as an adult to stimulate language, understanding, abstract thought - the list goes on. Refusing to read to them because you don't like the story is ridiculous. If I don't like red cars should my rights to not read anything with a red car be protected too?

I wonder if the girl in the story would have been dismissed if she was a Muslim or a gay person refusing to read literature she disagreed with.

Being gay isn't a fictional belief so that's a bit of a weird proposition. But Muslim pharmacists for example have been sacked for refusing to administer morning after pills etc as it's in their job description. Your belief system does not excuse you not doing your job.

If you read this carefully the sacking was for harassing a co-worker who is a lesbian. The storybooks about a gay couple bring up a child are a red herring and a smokescreen. I don't suppose such books exist and I would be surprised if anyone is compelled to read specific books to children anyway.

People of faith need to get over this feeling that they are in some way superior to others who do not share their narrow view of the world. It is the cause of so much strife in the world, this is just a small illustration of it

If you read this carefully the sacking was for harassing a co-worker who is a lesbian. The storybooks about a gay couple bring up a child are a red herring and a smokescreen. I don't suppose such books exist and I would be surprised if anyone is compelled to read specific books to children anyway.

People of faith need to get over this feeling that they are in some way superior to others who do not share their narrow view of the world. It is the cause of so much strife in the world, this is just a small illustration of it

People need to understand that there are people with their own views, and that people can give their opinion on things. I don't think you would find people of faith thinking that they are superior to others, yes they will have different opinions but not superior to others.

It just feels that way sometimes. My daughter goes to a non-faith school but is obliged to say a prayer before eating lunch for example and then thinks that we are inferior because we do not follow what to me is a bizarre ritual at home meals. This gentle indoctrination of moral superiority is pervasive. I just wish people of faith could enjoy their beliefs without feeling it necessary to indoctrinate the next generation in this way.

It just feels that way sometimes. My daughter goes to a non-faith school but is obliged to say a prayer before eating lunch for example and then thinks that we are inferior because we do not follow what to me is a bizarre ritual at home meals. This gentle indoctrination of moral superiority is pervasive. I just wish people of faith could enjoy their beliefs without feeling it necessary to indoctrinate the next generation in this way.

Surely there is a way to explain things to your daughter?

I went to catholic schools for both primary and secondary education an we never said prayers before meals.

I believe they say, or did say, prayers before council meetings over here?

Surely there is a way to explain things to your daughter?

I went to catholic schools for both primary and secondary education an we never said prayers before meals.

I believe they say, or did say, prayers before council meetings over here?

Yes. We tell her that we do not thank God for our meals because we do not believe in God. The teachers say the opposite so in her view the teachers are right and the parents are wrong. Simple question of fact to her, she hasn't actually found 'faith', it has been taught. I am forced in effect to tell her I am an atheist and tbh I would rather not have done

Yes. We tell her that we do not thank God for our meals because we do not believe in God. The teachers say the opposite so in her view the teachers are right and the parents are wrong. Simple question of fact to her, she hasn't actually found 'faith', it has been taught. I am forced in effect to tell her I am an atheist and tbh I would rather not have done

That's fine then isn't it? She realises that you don't believe in God and can take the prayers before meals with a grain of salt then. Why would you have preferred not to tell her you are an atheist? That's not a bad thing is it?

That's fine then isn't it? She realises that you don't believe in God and can take the prayers before meals with a grain of salt then. Why would you have preferred not to tell her you are an atheist? That's not a bad thing is it?

It is not a bad thing to be an atheist but I am not happy with having to tell her that I am at a time which is not of my choosing and at an age where it is probably not really appropriate. I would rather that she makes her own mind up based on a variety of life experiences without me or the schools trying to tell her what religion or faith she should or shouldn't have. I feel that at a young age kids are really impressionable (so many of those with religious beliefs pounce on the impressionable and the vulnerable and try to convert them).

It is not a bad thing to be an atheist but I am not happy with having to tell her that I am at a time which is not of my choosing and at an age where it is probably not really appropriate. I would rather that she makes her own mind up based on a variety of life experiences without me or the schools trying to tell her what religion or faith she should or shouldn't have. I feel that at a young age kids are really impressionable (so many of those with religious beliefs pounce on the impressionable and the vulnerable and try to convert them).

But if you do explain your beliefs to her then she can experience 2 different ways, surely that is better than keeping her in the dark. That would certainly help in he decision making process.

But if you do explain your beliefs to her then she can experience 2 different ways, surely that is better than keeping her in the dark. That would certainly help in he decision making process.

There are more options than christianity and atheism though. I am happy for religions to be taught but I don't hold with getting children to observe religious rituals.

Being gay isn't a fictional belief so that's a bit of a weird proposition. But Muslim pharmacists for example have been sacked for refusing to administer morning after pills etc as it's in their job description. Your belief system does not excuse you not doing your job.
can't recall you ever starting a thread about Muslim pharmacists imposing their beliefs on others .and probably best I don't hold my breath .

I find this very unlikely to be true given I've not seen this written in job descriptions, nhs contract or law that a pharmacist must give a morning after pill.

More likely is the situation that the pharmacist in question refused to refer someone on to another pharmacy where they will give the morning after pill...which is in opposition with professional guidelines and perhaps their pharmacies nhs contract.

Your point still stands however, one's belief should not get in the way of the care of a patient in need.

I get the points made of the beliefs of religious people...i've sometimes felt in life that a religious persons belief is held so tightly and so real to them that they cannot accept the mere possibility that someone does not believe...nevermind actually acknowledging the concept of belief in nothing as just a valid position as their own.

Archived