Good Private Schools in Brisbane - Year 11

tina0101

Hi

Does anyone have first hand experience of private schooling in the Brisbane area south Brisbane in particular)? Our son would be going into Year 11 January 2015 and we are keen to look at private schools for him but there seem to be so many!!

He'll almost definitely go onto university afterwards and an atheist, so some of the more religious schools are out!

Thanks in advance for any help.

Hi

Does anyone have first hand experience of private schooling in the Brisbane area (north Brisbane in particular)? Our son would be going into Year 11 January 2015 and we are keen to look at private schools for him but there seem to be so many!!

He'll almost definitely go onto university afterwards and an atheist, so some of the more religious schools are out!

Thanks in advance for any help.

Northside is a large area can you give us suburbs you are looking at as a starting point ?

Northside is a large area can you give us suburbs you are looking at as a starting point ?

To be honest we are trying to be as flexible as possible. I am hoping to secure work in East Brisbane in the Wynumm area so perhaps something a sensible distance from there. We are willing to be guided by the schools.

I think Sandgate is as far north as we want. If you have any suburb advice at the same time that would be great.

Thanks in advance!

Hi, difficult as most private schools have an association with some church group. St Pauls in Bald Hills is a very good school http://www.stpauls.qld.edu.au

Have you considered travel time if you live on the north side and work in Wynnum ? You have to cross the river every day and it is a very busy road. What about looking on the south side ? Is it an option ? In capalaba which is 20 minuets from Wynnum is Sheldon College a brilliant school, http://www.sheldoncollege.com

Have a look at where is as well http://www.whereis.com you can enter a suburb press find and it will bring up a map, add a different suburb in the box below your first suburb and press directions, it will give you route, km, and time.

Thanks for all this Tina2 and family of five.

To be honest, we don't really know where we want to live in Brisbane!! I have looked online at Sheldon College and it looks good. We're just trying to get a feel of a few areas on people's opinions so we have places to focus on when we get out there!!

x

• 1 month later...

There are some great public and private schools in Brisbane.

Some good public schools include, Kelvin Grove (just a couple of km's from city centre, it's a Arts specialty school), Cavendish Road (On the south side of Brisbane, it's a sports specialty school). When it comes to private schools, it totally depends on your budget.

Some good schools, but very expensive, include Brisbane Girls Grammar school, Boys Grammar school and are both inner city. There are quite a few single sex private school inner city and cheaper than the Grammar school, All Hallows' School (girls), Gregory Terrace (boys).

There are also some good co ed private schools, including Hillbrook Anglican college and Cannon Hill Anglican College and St Peters Lutheran College. -

You will need to contact a number of schools to see which ones actually have a place for your son. Not all schools have room and many students move to private schools in the later years. You will also need an idea of which subjects he intends to study as not all schools teach all subjects. In Victoria he would be doing a minimum of 5 subjects including English - someone will tell you how many it will be in Qld. He will also need an idea of what he will be studying at university so that he does not cut off options by choosing the wrong subject mix.

Thanks guys.

We've been in contact with Ormiston College and Canterbury College. Both seem like good schools, but that's just from online reading!! He's looking at Maths, English, Drama, Physics and then we're a bit more flexible on the other two, which seems to fit in with most schools where I've looked online.

I may have a look at some of the state schools mentioned too. I would love it if we could get him into Brisbane State High, but there is nothing in our rent bracket!!

Thanks guys.

We've been in contact with Ormiston College and Canterbury College. Both seem like good schools, but that's just from online reading!! He's looking at Maths, English, Drama, Physics and then we're a bit more flexible on the other two, which seems to fit in with most schools where I've looked online.

I may have a look at some of the state schools mentioned too. I would love it if we could get him into Brisbane State High, but there is nothing in our rent bracket!!

Ormiston is where we are looking for our daughter but it is south of Brisbane. We registered last year.

Archived