Coastal living.

Captain0

So work is not a problem but school is. Sorry but Victoria is bigger than the UK and you have not given much information about where you want to live. Even Melbourne is the size of Greater London so unless you give some specific information, difficult to help.

Acreage on beach front will be very difficult to find anywhere unless you have very deep pockets.

Join up with the Life in Victoria forum there is a link at the foot of this one. A lot of the members are already settled here and may be able to help you.

Thanks Petals,

Have been looking at properties in East Gippsland. Bairnsdale, Lakes Entrance, etc., as they are outside the Melbourne commuter area. But are open minded and would welcome thoughts on these and other areas.

Bairnsdale is quite far from the sea, about thirty to forty minutes drive. Lakes Entrance is ok, I used to like it a lot not so much now. Its good for fishing and a holiday destination with a lot of holiday lets and motels etc.

Metung is lovely on the Gippsland lakes.

Also could look at places like Foster which is near to Wilsons Prom, Inverloch very nice small town in Gippsland. Cape Patterson, very quiet but near to Wonthaggi for schools. Phillip Island I like but only on the Western Port Bay Side, i e Ventnor.

We live on the Mornington Peninsula and there are acreage properties around us and we are about 20 minutes to the beach.

You could also look at the western side of Port Phillip Bay south of Geelong going Warrnambool places around there, Port Fairie, Portland.

I personally prefer South Gippsland to the western side of Melbourne but that is because I know it well and find it prettier.

Realestate.com.au will give you an idea if you look at the areas I have provided. Also Wiki is a good source of information for the Shires and the Shire Web Sites have all the information about schools and other information relating to the infrastructure around the area.

Beach front acreage anywhere near Melbourne is rare and would cost a mint. Mt Eliza has two of Melbourne's best schools - Toorak College and Peninsula Grammar. There are beach front properties available but you would be looking at several million dollars. Go further back from the beach and the properties are more affordable. Just over the Victorian border in NSW at Merimbula water-front properties are much more affordable. Here's an example:

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-nsw-merimbula-110026297

Venus Bay? One of the cheapest. You can get a big block with several acres in 3rd Estate. Quite remote but some of them have their own access to the beach.

Unfortunately the beach is dangerous around there, local knowledge needs to be taken into account.

Good info.

I have stayed at the campground on Wilson's Prom, beautiful.

Metung looks interesting.

What are the options of travelling to Sydney from there? I drove the Princes Highway before and flew back. Any regional airports?

Regards

Captain0

Dont know that the East Gippy schools generally have that great a reputation (I know Orbost isnt that crash hot and, given the populace, not that surprised) - have you checked out www.myschool.edu.au

Gippsland would be more tedious if you wanted to drive to Sydney regularly too - the Hume would probably still be quickest although you could nip up through Cann River, Bombala, Canberra. Still take quite a while though (8-10 hrs I should think)

Long journey to Sydney - but I guess that is the case anywhere in Victoria. 12 hour drive for most so you need to live reasonably near an airport if you want to go there regularly. Nice though the scenery is, there are certain drawbacks to living in places like East Gippy.

From the results on the myschool website it looks as if we may need to broaden our search area.

We will only travel to Sydney 2-4 times a year.

Hmm, yup!

You could try down the other side of Geelong and look at Geelong schools - some good privates there. Further from Sydney but closer to Avalon which offers accessibility.

A lot of people who live in the country send their children to boarding school.

If you want accessibility to any special schools you really need to narrow your choice of area to live in the country. In fact you really need to live on the fringe of Melbourne or inner Melbourne for choice.

Archived