Think like a 10 pound pom

jasepom

The ten pound poms came out here in their droves. For them they did not have the option to hop back on the plane and go home. They stuck it out and made it work.

So you guys who are having second thoughts about staying maybe you should think about the positives and forget the negatives.

Its a great country if you want it to be.

I agree, it is a great country. The thing is, there's one big difference between the ten pound poms and many of the people on this forum.

The ten pound poms left Britain because they were struggling there. When they got to Australia they still had to struggle - but it was worse back home, so there was no point going back.

The poms who come today aren't leaving poverty. They had a pretty good life in the UK, but they thought Australia would give them something more. When they got here they realized it's not better or worse, it's just different - and that's not enough to make up for the distance from family and friends. So no wonder they go home.

Australia has a higher standard of living than the uk so it is better for a lot if people. We have the 2nd highest Humsn Debelopment Index in the world.

There was a story I recently heard about a truck driver in Hull who was made redundant. He moved to Perth and got a jobs a a truck driving instructor. He now earns twice as much and lives in a fabulous house. For him it was the best thing that happened to him.

I love Australia and I love Devon, I will be going back to live one day, thats a given.

A word of warning: if you're thinking you'll retire back home one day, be aware that there are lots of complications, such as not being able to get your Australian pension back in the UK, being taxed on your superannuation, being taxed on investments etc etc. So don't assume you can spend your working life in Oz then head back to the UK in your old age as you'll be well out of pocket if you do. There are probably things you can do to improve the situation but you'd need to think about it in your forties - don't wait till your sixties like us, as you'll find yourself in strife.

Not to mention the fact that countries don't stand still while you're away. If you stay in Australia for 20 or 30 years, the Devon you go back to won't be the Devon you left!

Australia has a higher standard of living than the uk so it is better for a lot if people. We have the 2nd highest Humsn Debelopment Index in the world.

We'd be at the top of the table, but we were marked down for spelling and grammar. Or just because we've got fat fingers.

Guest Ptp113
I agree, it is a great country. The thing is, there's one big difference between the ten pound poms and many of the people on this forum.

The ten pound poms left Britain because they were struggling there. When they got to Australia they still had to struggle - but it was worse back home, so there was no point going back.

The poms who come today aren't leaving poverty. They had a pretty good life in the UK, but they thought Australia would give them something more. When they got here they realized it's not better or worse, it's just different - and that's not enough to make up for the distance from family and friends. So no wonder they go home.

It's far better here when poms take the blinkers off. Most these days don't and then wonder why they don't get it.....

They were the so called whinging poms who escaped the uk arrived in paradise and complained that they lived in barracks and had to eat a different diet. You cam please some people.

Woo-hoo, the good life!. We're not talking luxury apartments here, this wave of migrants did it pretty tough. They endured a lengthy passage by sea to get here, and were often settled in isolated rural areas in a country that was not as highly-developed as it is now. Communicating with the folks back home was pretty much limited to the odd letter and many felt that they couldn't go home because of the loss of face involved. Factor that in, and it's no wonder they felt sorry for themselves. I know I would!.

I get it that you love this country, and that your wife not choosing to live here frustrates you, but the challenges that this group of migrants faced were significant, and it's to their credit that so many overcame them and went on to build lives here.

Shut up, least they were in Australia, after all.

Geographically you're right. But the Australia, and the lifestyle, they came to isn't the same as that you aspire to enjoy. They didn't have Wifi coffee shops and swimming pools to enjoy. They had work to do, and rewards to reap if they cracked on with the job in hand. But it was still a gamble for them. At about the same time, many went to Zimbabwe (or Rhodesia, as it was then). They worked hard too, but didn't end up with the same long-term benefits. That's life.

One of the biggest problems migrants faced in those days was that due to severe luggage restrictions, they weren't allowed to pack a sense of self-entitlement. Maybe they ought to reintroduce that bit of customs legislation......

If you want to work as hard as the 10 pound Poms, you could. But somehow, I don't think you'd hack the conditions.

Archived