Moving expenses

oldun

Good morning and a happy Friday all,

Our application for a visa has been accepted (form 80 completed and sent - more fun than one person should have in a whole lifetime) and waiting for CO to be appointed. I am starting to sort out my approximate costs and would be grateful if anyone would be willing to share how much their moving cost were. I am looking at particularly the cost of removals, say a 20ft container and shipping one dog out. If anyone has any advice on any other expenses that are 'hidden' or maybe just not normally thought of then any advice is very welcome.

Any recommendations (or non-recommendations) of Removal firms used would also be gratefully received.

I understand that this can be a bit personal, so if anyone is happy to let me know but would prefer it as a PM rather than on the forum just let me know.

Have a great weekend and Easter all.

cheers, Chris

Hi, we're in the process of moving in a couple of months. Our removal costs are coming in at £5500 for a 20ft sole use container to go to Mackay. For a shared container it was £5300 this is based on a 3 bed semi. Hope that helps. Sorry dont have any knowledge of moving with pets.

I'd suggest posting in Pets re your dog as that is a whole other thing. Depends on size, not weight and you need rabies blood work and vaccine etc done well in advance of shipping. Can cost a couple of thousand for a small dog to 4K plus for a big one, plus quarantine, vet stuff UK side and so on.

Guest Guest 47403
Hi, we're in the process of moving in a couple of months. Our removal costs are coming in at £5500 for a 20ft sole use container to go to Mackay. For a shared container it was £5300 this is based on a 3 bed semi. Hope that helps. Sorry dont have any knowledge of moving with pets.

My advice would be get some more quotes for your shipping, we have sole use of a 20ft container for £1800 less than you.

My advice would be get some more quotes for your shipping, we have sole use of a 20ft container for £1800 less than you.

I have 2 quotes both from reputable movers and they are both going to do a full pack/unpack, sole use of a 20 foot container for £2500.

Guest Guest 47403
I have 2 quotes both from reputable movers and they are both going to do a full pack/unpack, sole use of a 20 foot container for £2500.

That sounds good MTT infact in sounds a bit to good to be true especially if you are heading to Tas, what are the companies please?

That sounds good MTT infact in sounds a bit to good to be true especially if you are heading to Tas, what are the companies please?

Baz, I'm not going to Tassie anymore, but Perth. Goods shipped from Manchester port. My quote also includes storage prior to going if I need it and it's not time limited storage. The company I am going with are a trusted company and the area manager is an old boss of mine going back (quite) a few years so I know that my things will be in safe hands. I have yet to get a quote from Pickfords, whom I used to work with, but tbh, I don't think that the two quotes I have can be beaten. It's all in the negotiation!

Get in touch with Pet air they are fab

were just starting out I have to pugs so that's a nightmare to ship them out

You need to start process of dogs quiet early they need to have rabies jabs and blood test this can take some time

Look in the pet section on here there will be a lot more info for you

Guest Guest 47403
Baz, I'm not going to Tassie anymore, but Perth. Goods shipped from Manchester port. My quote also includes storage prior to going if I need it and it's not time limited storage. The company I am going with are a trusted company and the area manager is an old boss of mine going back (quite) a few years so I know that my things will be in safe hands. I have yet to get a quote from Pickfords, whom I used to work with, but tbh, I don't think that the two quotes I have can be beaten. It's all in the negotiation!

Fair enough if it's mates rates, can't fault you for that.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Baz, who gave you such a good quote? we've been quoted between 4100 and 4600 pounds for a 20 foot container from Somerset to Perth (Mandurah)

What is the company name? keep it in mind for the future...

thanks

Guest Guest 47403
Hi Baz, who gave you such a good quote? we've been quoted between 4100 and 4600 pounds for a 20 foot container from Somerset to Perth (Mandurah)

Get john mason in for a quote , I'll be surprised if they don't beat that.

I got 6 out, white and co were cheapest, you can't really give a price just for the container as it's also worked out on the volume, you might only need three quarters of a sole use 20 footer, so obviously there's less time/materials to pack and move everything.

Crown relo were the most expensive by far, nearly 1k more.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

What is the company name? keep it in mind for the future...

thanks

WOW!! That is so cheap, can you tell me who you were quoted by please?

One was with Pearson Home Moving, who didn't come round at all but quoted me this price on the basis of sole use of a 20 foot container. Once I had a few different quotes in, I used them to then negotiate with the movers of my choice, who were giving me a good deal anyway but then I showed them the Pearson Home Moving quote and they matched it. The movers I am thinking of using are Britannia Bradshaw but tbh, until I sell my house, nothing is finalised and it wouldn't surprise me if I change my mind completely and use someone else! Having worked in the industry, I can tell you that there is so much competition for business that it is always worth negotiating and if you do get a cheap quote from someone then use it as a bargaining tool as you will find that whilst the removers will tell you that the cost of the empty container is (for example) £2300 to ship before packing etc., wages for packers/removal people are paid regardless of whether they are twiddling their thumbs at the office or packing up your house. Obviously they are in it for profit but if the choice is giving you a good deal and making (for example) £50 because it's a slow day, or pricing you realistically to make (for example) £300 but you say no because it's too expensive compared to Joe Bloggs down the road, they are going to take your £50!

ETA: If you want the email/phone number of the person at Britannia Bradshaw, please feel free to PM me.

You will be sorry when the mover goes bust because they are being pushed to braking point on price and not even a 10 % margin and your goods are on the sea with no body to sort out the hassle of a shipping container not paid customs etc. price is not always profit.

Archived