Welding jobs - Mackay or Gold Coast

hogg2007

Hi, due to move in 8 weeks and still undecided where to go for the best!!!!

does anyone have any knowledge of the job market for welders in either Mackay or the suburbs of Brisbane or Gold Coast.

Just don't know where to go for the best. Don't want to get to mackay to find no jobs and then have to pay a fortune to move further south!!:arghh:

Any help would be appreciated!!!

What do you want to weld? Up here the market tends to be off highway trucks and mine infrastructure, wouldn't have thought there'd be too much of that on the Goldie. I still see ads for boilermakers locally in Paget, the industrial area of Mackay. Be aware though, the Mackay ads will say stuff like "wanted for shutdown work on mine site". You'll probably have to fork out a couple of thou for all the inductions and mine competencies so those won't be walk-on jobs.

People will tell you Mackay is hideously expensive and two years ago I'd have been one of them, but prices have fallen dramatically in the last 18 months.

What do you want to weld? Up here the market tends to be off highway trucks and mine infrastructure, wouldn't have thought there'd be too much of that on the Goldie. I still see ads for boilermakers locally in Paget, the industrial area of Mackay. Be aware though, the Mackay ads will say stuff like "wanted for shutdown work on mine site". You'll probably have to fork out a couple of thou for all the inductions and mine competencies so those won't be walk-on jobs.

People will tell you Mackay is hideously expensive and two years ago I'd have been one of them, but prices have fallen dramatically in the last 18 months.

A lot of hardface welding for all the mining gear. Can't say how much work there is, though.

Cheers, Bobj.

Hogg2007,

Completely feel your pain! I was doing my own head in with a similar dilemma. We fly to Brisbane in 2 weeks and it was only the other week that we voted Mackay over the Sunshine Coast. May or may not be the right decision. However making the decision to move 'down under' is massive in itself let alone knowing where to settle in such a vast country. If Mackay is right for us then that is a massive bonus, however if we end up moving it would not surprise me. Even if you have a job before you fly there is still no guessing where may be right. You still have plenty of time and hopefully something will just feel right.

Mackay like to hire locals and alot of tickets/ lisences are required for type of wrk there..i would def go to gold coast..lots more opportunities..we started off in central/north qld...I got a job but my husband struggled due to not being local or having aus licenses for wrk sites...we went to brisbane for the weekend and he got a job in one day :) hes not a welder but I still think you will have better chance in brisbane/gold coast and would highly recommend you dnt go to mackay wthout a job lined up. Good luck

Archived