Tenant wants to decorate, and more!

Lindor

I've lost the will where that's concerned....

I've given the current agents notice and am putting it up with another agency as the two buyers that the current agents have found ended up making offers that they couldn't afford!

It's a frustrating business! I frequently had hell on with the estate agents when I was selling my flat!

Right now, the house just seems like a noose around my neck. All I want to do is sell it! How hard can it be......

Maybe adjust the price, maybe it is overpriced?

Maybe adjust the price, maybe it is overpriced?

No, in fact, the agent didn't want to put it on as cheaply as it did eventually go on and then I dropped the price.

I think my mistake was the agency as I googled them the other day to look for reviews and they were ranked as 12 thousand and something amongst 12 thousand and something estate agents in England! I should have known better really as it took them over 8 months to sell next door and then they sold it for £35,000 below the asking price (different house style completely to mine and I do think it was a tad overpriced but certainly not by £35k!).

No, in fact, the agent didn't want to put it on as cheaply as it did eventually go on and then I dropped the price.

I think my mistake was the agency as I googled them the other day to look for reviews and they were ranked as 12 thousand and something amongst 12 thousand and something estate agents in England! I should have known better really as it took them over 8 months to sell next door and then they sold it for £35,000 below the asking price (different house style completely to mine and I do think it was a tad overpriced but certainly not by £35k!).

That's fair enough however in today's market which is extremely bouyont most houses sell pretty quickly if they are priced accurately. Your house as well as anyone else's is only worth what someone is willing to pay and with right move and the like agents are no longer so important, so if I were you and that desperate I would review what you are asking for the property.

That's fair enough however in today's market which is extremely bouyont most houses sell pretty quickly if they are priced accurately. Your house as well as anyone else's is only worth what someone is willing to pay and with right move and the like agents are no longer so important, so if I were you and that desperate I would review what you are asking for the property.

I had 8 estate agents come to value my house. It was valued at £20,000 more than I put it up for. Houses in the area where I live generally take around 6 months to sell, mine's been up for four. The reason I am getting rid of the agents is because in that time, only 3 viewings have been conducted. The house at the end of the road is still up for sale after 5 years (different house types), the one that is the same as mine sold just as I put mine up for sale but was up for 9 months and another house at the other end of the road has just sold after 4 years. I don't think it's the price......

An update if anyones interested :) I got an email yesterday from the letting agent to say that the prospective tenant has apparently been offered a council house so isn't moving into mine. What they really think is that she, along with a few other of their clients, have been 'poached' by 2 employees who walked out a few weeks ago and set up a new business!

No way! That's very naughty!

No way! That's very naughty!

It is! The estate agents emailed a couple of weeks ago telling me what had happened and said if they contacted me would I let them know, they didn't but apparently they've been targeting landlords with more than one property!

I had 8 estate agents come to value my house. It was valued at £20,000 more than I put it up for. Houses in the area where I live generally take around 6 months to sell, mine's been up for four. The reason I am getting rid of the agents is because in that time, only 3 viewings have been conducted. The house at the end of the road is still up for sale after 5 years (different house types), the one that is the same as mine sold just as I put mine up for sale but was up for 9 months and another house at the other end of the road has just sold after 4 years. I don't think it's the price......

Only 3 viewings is a worry. Is it a very slow area or something?

*In general*, I agree with Andy - everything will sell at its real market value - but if there's no demand in the area it can be very difficult

Presentation (everyone knows this but many pay lip service to it and try and justify issues with "oh, they'll want to put their own stamp on it" - yep, but only after they think they've got a bargain. buyers are generally rubbish at looking past presentation and decor so don't expect them to), understanding the market as in the likeliest customers (young families, couples, whatever) and presenting it to pitch to them, being objective about a house's faults and making the best possible case for those (eg, last house we sold only had one bathroom and no separate toilet, couldn't do much about it as it was a listed building, but we renovated the bathroom to the max, psychologically trying to counter peoples' thoughts that there was only one room by making it to die for), all that stuff

But none of it is worth a lot if you can't get anyone through the door. What made you go with these agents?

Only 3 viewings is a worry. Is it a very slow area or something?

*In general*, I agree with Andy - everything will sell at its real market value - but if there's no demand in the area it can be very difficult

Presentation (everyone knows this but many pay lip service to it and try and justify issues with "oh, they'll want to put their own stamp on it" - yep, but only after they think they've got a bargain. buyers are generally rubbish at looking past presentation and decor so don't expect them to), understanding the market as in the likeliest customers (young families, couples, whatever) and presenting it to pitch to them, being objective about a house's faults and making the best possible case for those (eg, last house we sold only had one bathroom and no separate toilet, couldn't do much about it as it was a listed building, but we renovated the bathroom to the max, psychologically trying to counter peoples' thoughts that there was only one room by making it to die for), all that stuff

But none of it is worth a lot if you can't get anyone through the door. What made you go with these agents?

The agent was down to Mr MtT and he can be so stubborn at times, that it's best just to try things his way to prove it's not going to work.

I completely re-decorated the house prior to putting it up for sale and had all the carpets cleaned. Everything is in very neutral colours and the 3 viewers that have been, actually loved the house and 2 made offers but then it turned out they couldn't afford it and the other couple wanted a bigger garden. It's a relative new build (we bought it off plan) and is still under the NHBC warranty thing. I have the boiler serviced yearly. I've even repainted the front door! The new agents that have been round said that it's not the house but the agency as they agreed with what you said, 3 viewers isn't enough. When I pointed this out to the agents, they told me that I only need one buyer. Well, yes but the buyer has to walk through the door!

• 2 weeks later...
The agent was down to Mr MtT and he can be so stubborn at times, that it's best just to try things his way to prove it's not going to work.

I completely re-decorated the house prior to putting it up for sale and had all the carpets cleaned. Everything is in very neutral colours and the 3 viewers that have been, actually loved the house and 2 made offers but then it turned out they couldn't afford it and the other couple wanted a bigger garden. It's a relative new build (we bought it off plan) and is still under the NHBC warranty thing. I have the boiler serviced yearly. I've even repainted the front door! The new agents that have been round said that it's not the house but the agency as they agreed with what you said, 3 viewers isn't enough. When I pointed this out to the agents, they told me that I only need one buyer. Well, yes but the buyer has to walk through the door!

Feeling your frustration MtT:arghh:.... Hope the new agent works out!

Edited by Rossmoyne
Spelling fingers were not engaged at time of post!!

Feeling your frustration MtT:arghh:.... Hope the new agent works out!

@Rossmoyne It's gone from bad to worse sadly as I have given the old agents notice and despite the fact that they haven't sent any viewers since the 20th March, they are insistent on keeping the house during the notice period, which means that the new agents can't put it up for sale until 12th May! The old agents have been very nice in pointing out (three separate times by letter) that should another agent be instructed and "introduce" a buyer (not sure what that means, does it mean if someone views it and later puts an offer in?) during the time that I am still under contract with them, then I will be liable for dual agency fees.

I phoned the Head Office of the agency on Wednesday to ask why they were being so pedantic about this and basically the lady at Head Office agreed it was madness for them to keep it when they couldn't sell it and said she would get the Branch Manager to call me. I'm still waiting........

@Rossmoyne It's gone from bad to worse sadly as I have given the old agents notice and despite the fact that they haven't sent any viewers since the 20th March, they are insistent on keeping the house during the notice period, which means that the new agents can't put it up for sale until 12th May! The old agents have been very nice in pointing out (three separate times by letter) that should another agent be instructed and "introduce" a buyer (not sure what that means, does it mean if someone views it and later puts an offer in?) during the time that I am still under contract with them, then I will be liable for dual agency fees.

I phoned the Head Office of the agency on Wednesday to ask why they were being so pedantic about this and basically the lady at Head Office agreed it was madness for them to keep it when they couldn't sell it and said she would get the Branch Manager to call me. I'm still waiting........

Blimey cannot understand why the old Agents are being so stupid.... You only have 9 days until the new agents take over, so just relax as much as you can and then let them get on with it! Hope it sells soon.... :biggrin: