Undecided on what is best for us

RNB31

Would holiday club 3 days a week be an option?

Depending on your wife's occupation could she email around a few offices similar to where she would look at working to discuss in their experience whether term time is an option in that employment market? Or even working agency shifts?

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah I didnt think they would come cheap

I think we could settle for 3 days a week before, after and hol care if we could see good financial benefits from it. If he enjoyed them then we would look for my wife to maybe increase her days to 4 during term time and back to 3 out of term, if who she was working for allowed this. My wifes job really is office based and is office hrs from like 8-6 mon-fri. We need to look further into if there is much demand for 3 day a week jobs and at the required salary.

I not sure this would allow us a 2nd but to be honest one of the reasons for oz is that there appears to be more job ops in my field than where I am currently located, although I have a good job, if I was to ever lose that it would be hard to get the same money. I would would hope to up my salary after a few years in oz, so I think if we decided the money looked ok for the 3 days then a 2nd would really be dependent on career progression.

My first option when I started this forum I know is a no go its just too tight, if we are to do this then it is going to have to involve me full time and my wife 3 days full time hrs to even consider it and include the care set up above.

More thinking ahead..

At least you are working things out in your own mind and making sure you know the full pro's and con's of moving. I think a lot of people tend not to do this.

Have you had a look at the demand for your wife's work in Australia and in the various states? Perhaps if there is a high demand they would consider her for 3 days a week. I am sure there are plenty of working mums in Australia too.

Another thought, would you consider full time initially for your wife, until she has settled into the role and is legally entitled to request flexible hours (again I am not sure of the Australian law in this area)?

Yeah my wife should have no bother getting full time work and we think initially she will get work quicker than me so this is an option for sure, if she could then reduce her days within that employment then great, I suppose you never know until you are there. There will defo be a lot of parents looking for part time, aussies and expats but right time right place plays a massive part sometimes.

How does your wife feel about all this? Will her maternal desires be thwarted and will that be an issue? How will she cope being isolated and away from any family support? What will you do if you cant find work for 3-6 months (increasingly not unusual unfortunately)? What if your wife cant find a job or if it is full time with the annual 4wks per year leave and no rights to parental leave if your child gets sick in the first few months?

Honestly, in this climate I wouldnt be moving anywhere unless I had a job offer in hand and even then, taking a career break and trying it out might be a sensible option. There was another thread on here recently with someone who said they had spent £100k thus far on the process and were struggling to find decent jobs and had almost exhausted all their resources. Of course, not everyone encounters the same issues but they are not unusual and doing it on the smell of an oily rag and counting every cent is going to be very stressful.

It still seems to me like your figures are really tight - not too comfortable at all especially when you havent factored in a whole lot of other things like the visit to the doctor, the prescriptions, the visit to the dentist, repair of property, sundry diy, buildings insurance (if your own place), repairing the lawn mower, the occasional medical scan, replacing the washer (insert whitegoods of your choice), needing to fly home for an emergency etc We had an average credit card spend of $5k pm for the two of us running two cars in Canberra - no mortgage/rent and no rates in that. We werent profligate by any means and sure we could have had more baked beans on toast but we felt the need for comfort in our old age. I dont say that everyone's outgoings would have to be $5kpm but it doesnt take much to rack up that amount. Add another $2-3kpm for rent (or, if you are lucky, mortgage) and you are spending over $80kpa before you blink.

Perhaps put out feelers for jobs you would kill for and if you get one then you have something concrete in hand and can compare directly with what you've got and make a decision from there.

Hi QUOLL thanks for the post

My wife is on board with it all, are we are still thinking over all options. The one thing I can say 100% is that we are not phased by the whole missing or being away from family if we make the move (reasons I'll not go into), we are lucky enough that they will be able to visit, and we would only be going home to the UK maybe every 5 years if that.

The question you have raised are ones that go through my head all the time, but truth is we will budget for 3-4 months without work, and we have other funds in the UK to go into if needed. We have both put the job feelers out and my wife has had good feedback form agencies and when we stayed their for 9 months before she got contract work really quick and good pay, I have had a couple of companies get back too me and I have to contact them when I have more fixed dates, its a start at least, the problem is until we have more fixed info for companies they are not very interested. I would like to secure a job before but its unlikely and I suppose this is one of the major risks for all who take the leap.

I have asked about a career break but its not an option in my current role, with my wife they would have to replace her and not policy to keep jobs open, we have a feeling they might change their minds if it came to it and get a temp for a few months.

The same figures as I posted before for outgoings and with myself on 60k and my wife working 3 days full time hrs and using care for those days we are in green by $950, that there will have to cover savings, hols, and the wear and tear thats creeps up on you...

Out of interest which figures do you think are far too tight on my budget?

It really depends where you are as to how much things cost - I'd be upping broadband to $80, fuel to $250/300 pm if you are running two cars and, as you indicated, living quite far out. Need to add parking - all depends on location but could be $50pw (and for two cars?). Need to add building insurance in addition to contents insurance (just renewed ours at $700 pa). Add in a medical budget - even if you go to the doc and get a script a month that's $32 plus whatever you pay for doctor (Poms seem intent on bulk billing but the co-pay is $30 per visit). Then three of you visiting dentist twice a year at $100 a visit (child may be covered by school dental). Will you want Cable TV (another $70pm)? Subscriptions to Unions, professional bodies? Our water is closer to $100pm, all depending on usage and what you use gas for your electric could be more (we have solar hot water, no aircon, scavenged wood heating and your estimate is only a little more than ours). I reckon you are light on food, toiletries, cleaning stuff too - probably another $50pw?

Ive always found that my expenses always expand to meet my income! No matter how well I'm doing there'll be the unexpected (new tyres on the car this week!), last month it was something else surprising. If you can keep an emergency trip home in the bank too, you never know when you'll need it.

Thanks for your info

With the fuel we hope my wife or I may find work within driving rather than public transport so the Day ticket money would add to the fuel, but yeah I agree if not then some months we may use more than others. Building insurance yip that will need to be added.

We are looking at Brisbane, and somewhere like north lakes

Medical is a hard one but we will have funds in the UK for a bail out if required, but with what we have left over I think we could cover things, the health insurance I think covered the basic for the dentist, I know if there was any big bills for our kid our parents would bail that out. Cable TV we can live without, Oz TV in general in dire!

Food I did an online shop and its was a big shop we did as we would in the uk and $1000 should cover us, but I agree some months might be more than others, same as UK...we just have to scrap that date night or new something like we do in the uk.

I have also accounted for $400 a month for 2 cars to cover insurance, rego and maintenance

As for emergency trip home, if it was required again our parents would get us home for any emergency

I have the same concerns over the money but with $950 left over...even if I said $350 overflow, $300 savings and $300 hol fund I think thats a good start.

Its the best the figures have looked, no a deal sealer but something to rethink

We have 3 kids (7, 5 and 3.5y) and are hoping to get a job offer and make the move on a 457 (we've submitted a skills assessment but aren't hopeful so are assuming PR is a no-go). I don't work as childcare costs are too prohibitive and, even if I could earn £54 a day to cover the before- and after-school childcare costs (or £81 a day in the holidays) I wouldn't unless I came out with sufficiently more to make it worth my while. Not to mention the fact I'd need to buy a car and pay all the associated maintenance / running costs out of my wages... So, in short, we'll be making the move with just my husband working, hoping to earn around $120-$130k, although I fear this may include Super... :-/ So that brings it down quite a bit (by 9.25% as far as I'm aware).

Whilst I agree somewhat with the "if it ain't broke...." opinion, I also agree that life is for living and you only get one chance at it. Our life is good but we've always felt there's something missing, and that there must be more to life than working in the week, going to the park and coffee shops at the weekend, having the odd holiday every few years.... And the thought of staying here and waking up in 10 / 20 years' time realising nothing has changed and it's too late to change it, fills me with premature sorrow. Why does something have to be wrong with your life in order to want to move abroad? Why can't it be just for an adventure, like we plan it to be? If your life were awful and you were trying to escape it, one might accuse you of running away from your problems and that would be an equally wrong reason to move....

I'd rather regret something I HAVE done than something I haven't. For us, we just want an adventure, to get it out of our systems and then return to the UK and get back to our lives... but at least we'll have done it and can then settle down, knowing we've lived our lives to the full and have seized an opportunity that many are not fortunate enough to come across. It would be so much easier to knock it on the head and stay, to NOT break out of our comfort zone, to NOT spend £15k that could have gone off the mortgage, to NOT upset our families, to NOT destabilize the kids by taking them out of school and away from their friends....

But life isn't about doing the easy thing. It's about doing the right thing for you and your family. If you feel that the right thing is to go, then do it regardless. If it's to stay, then the same applies and I hope you can make a happy life in the UK. But just make sure you don't wake up in 10 years' time with regrets about what 'could have been'....

We don't have rose-tinted specs on either - in fact we're decidedly UNexcited about the move as we're overly cautious and don't want to set our hopes up to be disappointed. We know we'll be slightly worse off financially and the life over there - although different - probably won't be any better, but so long as it's no worse then 'different' works for us, and it'll be good for the kids to explore a new country, culture, and to gain independence and broaden their horizons from what we hope will be a positive move.

That said, we've still not found a job so will probably end up either staying in the UK or trying somewhere else (possibly the USA). Watch this space! ;-)

I-F :-)

Thanks for the post Itchyfeet76, I agree that live is for living and better to regret the things we do rather than regret not doing them, but in my own opinion I have to weight up the practicalities also. For reasons I'll not go into I know how short live is, but this is what has probably made my eyes open more to the bigger picture other than just follow your dreams no matter what.

To be honest if my wife could stay and home and look after kids, and I could have a 2nd, and I was looking at $120-130k a year, I would not be posting...I'd be there already.

I cant regret in 10 years that I never moved to oz if I dont go as hopefully my life will still be good in the UK, I'll have my family and the savings and hols I want, I wouldnt want to live my life just now thinking I dont want to wake up in 10 years with regrets.

Hopefully your husband gets a job offer soon and you can further your plans

I've lived in brisbane all my life and your figures mostly look all good if its two people your budgeting for. Except shopping. In my case that's more than double what I would spend. We shop for two every week never go over $100, sometimes around $80 and I eat well. Steak twice a week and cooked meals every night, including fish and chicken. We healthy eating couple.

I've lived in brisbane all my life and your figures mostly look all good if its two people your budgeting for. Except shopping. In my case that's more than double what I would spend. We shop for two every week never go over $100, sometimes around $80 and I eat well. Steak twice a week and cooked meals every night, including fish and chicken. We healthy eating couple.

just read you have a child so will push it up, but not to those figures you have put down. I could feed a family of 10 and have a deep freezer full of left over meals for $1000 a month. Good luck.

Also rates , $180 where I am (3 months).

Its hard to gauge food and spending costs but its more the other outgoings I need compared. I spend in the UK £500-550 which covers all the things detailed before not just food alone, I did an online shop and $1000 seem'd to cover it, and compare with my UK spend Id say thats about right $1000.

Thanks for the post and comments

just read you have a child so will push it up, but not to those figures you have put down. I could feed a family of 10 and have a deep freezer full of left over meals for $1000 a month. Good luck.

Also rates , $180 where I am (3 months).

Yeah I thought those figures of 1k a bit high. I know somebody in Perth with two teenagers that spend $400-500 p/m on groceries

I said the same earlier RE the food budget, but the family budget in the UK is high too so perhaps its just their quality of living. I think they are looking at ensuring they get the same quality of life in Australia as they do in the UK so I suppose they may reach $1000. $1000 for us as a family 5 would be an overspend and a luxury shop, but each to their own!

All I know is that in the UK at the end of the month the food shop toiletries and cleaning products and this is planned meals, so we buy what we need, we buy things on offer all the time and the bill is about £550, oz is more expensive and I have done an online shop and thats what it comes too, I have no idea where I could cut down other than buying tesco value, asda smart price etc on every product and lower the standard of meat that I buy...Anyway the bill is what it is, I have come across mixed views on this in the past some higher, some on par some lower, I wish I was lower.

Its the other figures that need reviews other than food and spending, thanks again for the posts

We got a good deal on broadband and mobile package. Don't bother with a landline. Save a bit that way.

Also the house we are buying has solar panels for electric and hot water on a fab tarrif till 2026 so we'll not be paying anything for electric.

Your shopping bill, as has been said is high. I buy a fair bit of own brand stuff here and tbh it's fine. A tin of chopped tomatoes is a tin of chopped tomatoes only over a dollar difference in price less buying budget own brand. Still buy brand names but also plenty of own brand or brands we don't have in the UK which are cheaper. Example, Domestos bleach, over $3 a bottle here. Another brand sold here, half the price. You learn what is decent or works and change over. Saves a bit.

Meat from a butcher I find cheaper and better quality than supermarket. Chances are you'll save a bit that way.

$800 seems excessive for going out, hobbies etc. We don't spend anywhere near that for social stuff, either as a couple or with our son.

I don't buy clothes monthly. I tend to buy my kids clothes in advance when sales are on, that sort of thing. And mix it up with where from. Cheap tees that only last a summer are fine and saves a small fortune over more expensive ones that will get the same amount of wear.

School fees and uniform seems high to me. Our school fees for the year in a state primary are $238 or so. A couple of trips or extra costs at say $50 total the year. Uniform was all $2 an item from the second hand shop apart from his 2 pairs of school shorts ($5 a pair), shoes and socks. Oh and one new school logo polo shirt at $15. All up second hand I bought 2 school jackets, 2 school sweaters, 3 school tops and 2 fleece gilets. All for less than $20.

We got a good deal on broadband and mobile package. Don't bother with a landline. Save a bit that way.

Also the house we are buying has solar panels for electric and hot water on a fab tarrif till 2026 so we'll not be paying anything for electric.

Can you give some details about your phone deal. Like how much it costs and what caps there are?

And with you electric bill, you'll still have to pay a daily service charge, won't you? Even if you manage to export enough during the day to cover you consumption at night.

We are going to be on a locked in much higher tarrif than by today's rates. Service charge or anything else, we'll be good. Hubby did the sums ;)

Our broadband phone deal is with Naked DSL. 150GB a month iirc. We don't have a landline phone, not worth the cost tbh, we'd never use it. Mobiles I can't recall the exact details but I've never gone over and get free calls, texts etc.

We are going to be on a locked in much higher tarrif than by today's rates. Service charge or anything else, we'll be good. Hubby did the sums ;)

Our broadband phone deal is with Naked DSL. 150GB a month iirc. We don't have a landline phone, not worth the cost tbh, we'd never use it. Mobiles I can't recall the exact details but I've never gone over and get free calls, texts etc.

It's a pity you can't post the dollar amounts. This sort of info would be useful to new migrants. Maybe when hubby gets home, you could ask him to fill us in.

It's a pity you can't post the dollar amounts. This sort of info would be useful to new migrants. Maybe when hubby gets home, you could ask him to fill us in.

We just did the research online, compared deals, the usual.

It's been a dream of yours and your wifes for years and here you are talking yourself out of it before you've tried it. At least you are being realistic about kids but I think you are overanalysing everyhting a tad. If you did the same about marriage, kids or buying a house you would probably never done any of those things either.

Who knows what job paying how much you would get? We just came, with a two year old, no jobs to come to, never been before, didn't know anyone here, not a lot of money behind us. It was the days before the internet too, so you couldn't research the hell out of everything and trawl the net, taking everyone's opinion into account.

I think every person that comes has a different experience and story to tell but if you don't try it it's going to pass you by. You must be fairly young to have a child so what have you got to lose other than dollars if it all goes wrong? Chances are it won't and if you're like us, it will be the best thing that's ever happened.

Just though I'd post my telco experience, with as much detail as I can.

Initially, we went with Telstra because I wanted to get the most reliable connection possible. Other telcos may be just as reliable, they might even use the same infrastructure.

We were paying 100$ per month, for 100Gig broadband, and reduced international call charges (about 4$ /30 minute call).

I had a telstra mobile from work.

My wife got a Virgin mobile, but the reception was patchy.

In the end I got myself a PAYG telstra mobile. 100$ for the phone plus sim card. I pay 15c/min to all national and mobile numbers, and the credit lasts 3 months.

I swapped to a lower plan for the landline. Now it's 50Gig for 75$, but with free international calls to landlines. I recently made several calls from Oz to a UK "hospital line" (which is just about the most expensive call you can make). These turned out to be at about 10c/minute, although calling the same number from a UK landline costs 50p/min.

We don't use the landline very much. But I'm happy with the internet speed and uptime. I don't use the mobile much either, and at 15c a minute it's a steal in my opinion.

GSM boroadband has it's positives, but like all radio based technology, it can be very patchy here in Oz. I think I'd only consider it if there was no adsl where I lived.

We live on the gold coast and our WEEKLY bills work out to;

Rent - $510

Food - $250-$300 (2 adult 2 kids, 4yrs and 2 yrs, cant get it under $250 but it doesn't go over $300)

Water - $25

Electric - $50

Mobiles and Broadband Bundle - $60

Wifes car fuel - $70

My car fuel - $70

Childcare (after CCB rebate etc, 4yr old 3 days a week, 2 year old 1 day a week) $125

Foxtel - $26

Wifes Car Insurance - $13.50

My Car Insurance - $12.50

Wifes work parking - $24

Wifes car rego - $13

My Car Rego - $13

Swimming lesson - $25

We havent got contents insurance yet and are waiting for quotes on life insurance.

We take home about $2000 per week between us and try to save $250 a week also.

We had a great life and standard in the UK and were just curious about a life down under, an itch we had to scratch you could call it....wouldnt say we regret it as such but wouldnt say it was worth it either. Sunshine aside we havent gained anything.

All the best

Archived