Ielts writing tips please

Catsrus

Hello, I am doing my third attempt at the ielts exams this Saturday and was hoping people could share some tips on how to get a level 8. I get level 9's no problem on the other exams but can't seem to get above 7.5 in the writing.

I am am an accountant so am wondering if I am writing too simply? Should I use more complex words than usual? I have a language degree so honestly though my writing was fine, but that seems to be wrong!

Any words of wisdom please.

Thank you

Have an intro, main body and conclusion. .make sure your writing is easy to read...always refer to the question..dont go off topic...watch punctuation and spelling..you dont need to use complex language. .I got 9 after third attempt. .for me writing it with a clear begining, middle and end seemed to make a difference. ..bit of luck needed too I think ;)

Send me a PM and I'll send you a writing guide that may help. Trying to spin the question so you can show your language skills can help. It's an intense way to spend the day but best of luck and if you need my revision guide, just shout.

Hello, thank you everyone for your kind help. Have started watching the YouTube lessons and reading through the writing guide sent to me - am feeling more hopeful about getting an 8. Have sent my previous two exams for remark and will just keep resitting till I get there as my skills assessment is back to this is the only thing stopping us putting in our EOI.

Thanks again

mel

Hello, I am doing my third attempt at the ielts exams this Saturday and was hoping people could share some tips on how to get a level 8. I get level 9's no problem on the other exams but can't seem to get above 7.5 in the writing.

I am am an accountant so am wondering if I am writing too simply? Should I use more complex words than usual? I have a language degree so honestly though my writing was fine, but that seems to be wrong!

Any words of wisdom please.

Thank you

Hi, I got a very high mark and my writing skills are awful.

Two bits of advice:

1) Practise, practise, practise. Seriously, write a letter and an essay every night for a few weeks and get someone to pass comment. Also make sure you're writing more than 150/250 words and learn to judge how much you have written so you save some time in the test.

2) Make it real to you. I can't stress this enough. If you need to write a letter complaining to a landlord, don't try and make something up - if you're like me you can't. Instead think of a problem you have had either as a renter or owner and write about that - the words will come flying in. And in your essay try and think of an angle you actually have opinions about - because personally, if I don't have an opinion about something I can't bring myself to write 10 words never mind 250.

Guest Guest95262

I managed 8.5 on my first attempt,I didn't use any complex words my grammar was basic and i repeated the same thing over and over, i wasn't to confident when i walked out of the test thats for sure, my spelling can be terrible so I just made sure I didn't use words I couldn't spell. I know for a fact both my questions were just over the amount of words needed. To me it just seems like one of those tests you can't really revise for, I tried for 1 hour before but its impossible to revise writing and get it checked online, what I did do was look at some answers for the writing so I could see the structure.

maybe ask to get it re assessed because honestly my writing seemed crap, I was the only native english speaker on the day though.

Hi, I got a very high mark and my writing skills are awful.

Two bits of advice:

1) Practise, practise, practise. Seriously, write a letter and an essay every night for a few weeks and get someone to pass comment. Also make sure you're writing more than 150/250 words and learn to judge how much you have written so you save some time in the test.

2) Make it real to you. I can't stress this enough. If you need to write a letter complaining to a landlord, don't try and make something up - if you're like me you can't. Instead think of a problem you have had either as a renter or owner and write about that - the words will come flying in. And in your essay try and think of an angle you actually have opinions about - because personally, if I don't have an opinion about something I can't bring myself to write 10 words never mind 250.

Hi, sorry, I got called away earlier.

I read Eats Shoots and Leaves and part of some grammar book just to give myself a tune up too. ES&L was particularly excellent and quick to read.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone, I just thought I would thank everyone for their help with this. It really made a difference. I watched all the YouTube stuff mentioned and read through the various tips from everyone. It really helped to hear how others got there on the end.

so I got my results this week from my third attempt and my writing score jumped from 7.5 to 8.5 with your help. So thank you all so much for taking the time to help me. I submitted my EOI today - yippee!

Best wishes

Melissa

• 2 months later...

Archived