McKinnon found guilty

Guest Guest66881

Guest Guest66881

Melbourne prop Jordan McLean has been found guilty of a dangerous throw by the judiciary after his chief involvement in a three-man tackle on Alex McKinnon left the Newcastle back-rower with a devastating spinal injury.

The Storm player was met by a media storm at NRL headquarters in Sydney for one of the most-anticipated judiciary hearings in the game's long history.

McKinnon remains in Melbourne's The Alfred hospital in a serious but stable condition with a broken neck and facing the possibility of never being able to walk again.

The 22-year-old was brought out of an induced coma at the weekend following surgery last Tuesday for damage to his C4 and C5 vertebrae.

http://au.sports.yahoo.com/league/news/article/-/22330867/alex-mckinnon-tackler-mclean-faces-nrl-judiciary/

That really was sickening.

I'm sure he didn't intend it obviously to bring about what happened.

One of the reasons I hate Rugby League. In this case they have 3 people tackling 1 guy and it is so dangerous when they lift him off the ground.

The poor gut looks like he may never walk again.

Guest Guest66881

Yeah i don't think it was intentional but they do tend to try this sort of tackle and get away with it, shame for the guy he's only 22 i think?

Guest Guest 47403
There should be a ruling against lifting in NRL as this type of tackle is so dangerous. It only takes one bad placement of the players head and this leads to a really bad injury like here. Something needs to be done

Sorry Jase but nothing wrong with that tackle at all, sometimes you need to lift people legs in league to ground them. It was an accident nothing more, you get the same life changing injuries in ametuer union in the UK every week.

I know what your saying Baz but your heart is in your mouth when you see this tackle. They don't have this in American football and those guys wear helmets. Three guys on him plus lifting it was never gonna end well.

My wife used to care for paraplegics when she was studying and a lot if those can from Rugby. You said it yourself life changing accidents every week in Uk. Why is that acceptable ? Has to be a good time to make the sport safer.

You see tackles like this in every game of NRL. Seems the league have decided to blame the player doing the legal tackle rather than take blame themselves for allowing it

Guest Guest 47403
I know what your saying Baz but your heart is in your mouth when you see this tackle. They don't have this in American football and those guys wear helmets. Three guys on him plus lifting it was never gonna end well.

My wife used to care for paraplegics when she was studying and a lot if those can from Rugby. You said it yourself life changing accidents every week in Uk. Why is that acceptable ? Has to be a good time to make the sport safer.

Thats the thing Jase my heart wasn't in my hands when I saw the tackle until i saw in slo mo from a different angle, no malice at all imo

I feel almost as sorry for the guy who did the tackle and got the blame as the guy who was injured. Nothing worse in sport than injuring someone else. I broke a friend of mines leg in a tackle at soccer. No malice, 50-50 ball and we both went in hard. I head the crack too.

I think the way the guys stepped back after the tackle they knew something was wrong. Must be terrible for all concerned.

There is something seriously wrong with the game if these sort of 'accidents' can occur.

There's a risk to just about any sport Parley. That's an attraction in a way, the element of danger and risk. Don't ever look at how dangerous some of the newer "extreme" sports are mate and the injuries and deaths that go along with them. I watched a film on snowboarding called "the crash reel". It was about a young guy who nearly died and now does talks about traumatic brain injury. During the filming one of his friends gets killed. Makes you realise how those young guys are really pushing the boundaries of what's safe.

There's a risk to just about any sport Parley. That's an attraction in a way, the element of danger and risk. Don't ever look at how dangerous some of the newer "extreme" sports are mate and the injuries and deaths that go along with them. I watched a film on snowboarding called "the crash reel". It was about a young guy who nearly died and now does talks about traumatic brain injury. During the filming one of his friends gets killed. Makes you realise how those young guys are really pushing the boundaries of what's safe.

The same 'who-dates-wins' attitude existing in Motorsport until Jackie Stewart formed the drivers association to make the sport safer. Basically he was sick and tired of seeing his friends die needlessly.

It's not an extreme sport it's just a sport like basketball or hockey. You don't play it for the thrill of it you play cause you want to compete. Dangerous tackling is just unnecessary risk taking.

Even guys who take risks aren't stupid they jump out of planes with a reserve parachute. Rugby players who are happy to take repeated blows to the head are insane. Even boxing has been made safe

It was a terrible accident . Tragic but he tucked his head under and it all went wrong . He was trying to twist and land on his front . No amount of rule changes short of non contact will prevent something like this happening again. Boxing's not safe , it's safer than it was .

there are terrible accidents and tragedies in most sports . I wish him all the best in his recovery and hope McLean comes to terms with it .

Archived