Working holiday visa advice

Benm912

Hi all, my girlfriend and her family are moving over to Australia this year and I plan to go with them. I've been looking at a working holiday visa but my only issue is that I'd have to do 3 months of selective work if I want to extend it to a two year visa. I don't mind but I'd rather have a job based around my experience (computing) as money worries me greatly. My current plan is to get a working holiday visa and then try to get sponsored when I'm over there, but I'd rather secure a job before going.

My first question is this, how difficult is it to get a working visa without actually being in the country during the application process? Unfortunately I do not have enough points to apply for a skilled visa so that's not an option. Secondly, if I do go on a working holiday visa am I only allowed to work for 6 months in total? Or is it just 6 months with one employer? This has always confused me as it's not very clear...any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hello Benm912.

Have a look at the Visa Applicants tab at this page from the Department of Immigration website:

http://www.immi.gov.au/Visas/Pages/417.aspx

The 6 months restriction applies to working for any one employer in Australia.

There are also answers to a number of Working Holiday visa questions at this webpage:

http://www.ozmigr8.com/faqs-2/visa-faqs/

Best regards.

Thanks for the replies, the reason I say is it difficult if you're not in the country (I did mean Aus, sorry that wasn't very clear!) is because a lot of jobs I've seen state that they don't do phone interviews, so I'd assume you'd physically need to be there. Quite difficult when you live on the other side of the world!

Ive had a look at that website, thanks for clearing that up for me! That makes me feel much more comfortable about the situation, I was worried that I'd be unemployed for 6 months and would have to live off my savings which I didn't particularly fancy doing. Overall it'd quite a big change and I just want to be as prepared for it as possible!

Thanks for the replies, the reason I say is it difficult if you're not in the country (I did mean Aus, sorry that wasn't very clear!) is because a lot of jobs I've seen state that they don't do phone interviews, so I'd assume you'd physically need to be there. Quite difficult when you live on the other side of the world!

Ive had a look at that website, thanks for clearing that up for me! That makes me feel much more comfortable about the situation, I was worried that I'd be unemployed for 6 months and would have to live off my savings which I didn't particularly fancy doing. Overall it'd quite a big change and I just want to be as prepared for it as possible!

You asked if it is difficult to apply for the "working visa" if not in the country. Now you seem to be asking if it is difficult to apply got jobs if you are not in the country. There is no such thing as a "working visa" either, could you clarify what you mean, are you still talking about the working holiday visa? It is a bit difficult to make good suggestions if we are not quite sure what you mean.

So you apply for the working holiday visa before you arrive in the country. You are not going to get far in your job hunt until you arrive in the country though. Due to the restrictions on employment in a WHV, you will be ruled out of many opportunities. If you want to increase your employment prospects then skilled migration is the way to go, how come a young man can not get enough points?

Sorry, when I said working visa I meant a sponsored visa, so how difficult is it to get a sponsored visa when not in Australia. My current plan is to get a working holiday visa and then get sponsored while I'm over there. I was wondering how easy it'd be to get a sponsored visa without being in Australia. I hope that's a bit clearer! I'll be applying for the working holiday visa whilst I'm in the UK, so that's not an issue, I was just wondering how hard it'd be to get sponsored without being in Australia.

The reason I can't get a skilled visa is because my job isn't on the list of required jobs. I did a little test thing to see if I'd have enough points and it said I didn't so a skilled visa wasn't on the cards for me. What restrictions do I face applying for jobs outside of Australia?

Sorry, when I said working visa I meant a sponsored visa, so how difficult is it to get a sponsored visa when not in Australia. My current plan is to get a working holiday visa and then get sponsored while I'm over there. I was wondering how easy it'd be to get a sponsored visa without being in Australia. I hope that's a bit clearer! I'll be applying for the working holiday visa whilst I'm in the UK, so that's not an issue, I was just wondering how hard it'd be to get sponsored without being in Australia.

The reason I can't get a skilled visa is because my job isn't on the list of required jobs. I did a little test thing to see if I'd have enough points and it said I didn't so a skilled visa wasn't on the cards for me. What restrictions do I face applying for jobs outside of Australia?

Ok, well an employer sponsored visa is not called a working visa, try to use the terminology or you will confuse people trying to help..:wink:

If your job is not on the skilled occupation lists then you cannot get sponsored either. Have you checked the lists properly, I thought there were plenty of IT occupations on there. There is a SOL and CSOL to check. Oh and it would be very difficult to get sponsored before you are even here.

Again, it is extremely unusual for someone your age not to pass a points test, I think you need to double check that too. Speaking English and your age should provide most of the points..

I've had a look at the consolidated skills list and my job is on there, however, I'm not 100% sure what this list is. I know it's not on the skilled occupation list, what's the difference between SOL and CSOL? Sorry if this is an obvious question!

CSOL requires sponsorship by an employer or state, SOL is for independent skilled migration. It's generally easier to find work when you're already in the country as employers then a) know you're here and readily available for work vs waiting for a visa to process, b) know you've successfully gotten a visa, and c) they don't have to go through the hoops, cost and effort of sponsoring you.

Archived