Medical Diagnostic Radiographer emigrating to Australia

sazza

Hi All,

my husband and I have been wanting to make the move to Australia since 2008, so we have decided to take the plunge, and say this is the year that we are going to start applying. I was wondering if you guys could give us some guidance. My husband would be main visa applicant, he is the medical diagnostic radiographer and I am a neonatal nurse. We have 2 young children so I wouldn't start work straight away (maybe 4 weeks) but would like to have a job in place before I move out there, however my hubby would start work straight away. I would like a bit of guidance in what my husband and I should do first. Are we better going through an agency? If so which one is good in dealing with radiography jobs. Should we apply to the AIR (Australian Institute of Radiography) first? Or sort the visa?

Also after much deliberation we have decided that we would like to move to a suburb of Sydney. Which a suburb is ideal for young families.

Many Thanks,

Sara

Also after much deliberation we have decided that we would like to move to a suburb of Sydney. Which a suburb is ideal for young families.

I'll leave the visa question to those more expert in that field.

But I just wanted to say that Sydney covers a huge area and commuting around it can be very slow. I would leave the choice of suburb until you know where you will be working.

Personally, I would start with the visa not the job. If you go with job agencies you will probably be stuck on a temporary visa in whatever place is happy to sponsor. If you getter visa sorted first, you will have PR from the start and it will open up more choice in work opportunities for you.

Read about skill select on the immigration website, in particular the 189 visa. Also consider who is the best main applicant, it could be you or your husband. Who will be the main earner or start work first doesn't matter.

There are families living happily in every suburb so your question is very broad. Take one thing at a time and my advice is visa, job, suburb.

With young children, you would be crazy to even consider a temporary 457 visa - you get no assistance with childcare expenses and you're also ineligible for Family Tax benefits. You should only be considering an independent or state sponsored permanent visa (which are points tested) or an employer sponsored permanent visa.

If your husband wants to practise as a radiographer in Australia, he needs to have his qualifications recognised by AIR before he can do so. If he wants to apply for any points tested visa (189, 190 or 489) or for a direct entry employer sponsored 187 ENS visa, he can't get any further into the visa process until he has a positive skills assessment from AIR. If you want to work as a nurse, you will need nursing registration from APHRA and if you're the main visa applicant (or if you want to claim points for partner skills on his application), skills assessment from ANMAC. No registration or skills assessment takes any less than several weeks and is usually more like several months - seems to me that the first step should be skills assessment for the primary applicant (and the other partner if you want partner skills points) and registration for you and accreditation for your husband. Then worry about the visa. Then the job/s and finally, the suburb or you could end up spending hours in terrible traffic to get to and from work - Sydney's a hugely spread out city.

Hi All,

my husband and I have been wanting to make the move to Australia since 2008, so we have decided to take the plunge, and say this is the year that we are going to start applying. I was wondering if you guys could give us some guidance. My husband would be main visa applicant, he is the medical diagnostic radiographer and I am a neonatal nurse. We have 2 young children so I wouldn't start work straight away (maybe 4 weeks) but would like to have a job in place before I move out there, however my hubby would start work straight away. I would like a bit of guidance in what my husband and I should do first. Are we better going through an agency? If so which one is good in dealing with radiography jobs. Should we apply to the AIR (Australian Institute of Radiography) first? Or sort the visa?

Many Thanks,

Sara

if you fancy Queensland I know that QDI (Queensland diagnostic imaging) are very short on radiologists. Try contacting them. They could get you out pretty quickly on a 457. On your husbands wage you wouldn't be entitled to any ax benefits anyway. Depends how quickly you want to get over but both of your jobs are in demand here.

im in a similar field myself, same company sponsored me and my family were out here 3 months later. That was 6 years ago and we are now settled permanent residents. Brisbane is nice, we are happy.

they may even help with relocation costs.

up to you.

Good luck.

Hi Sazza

I've found there are not many radiographers on this site, which is a shame, so l was delighted when I read your thread.

Im a Therapy Radiographer & just getting all my paperwork together for AIR. I've just got my reference to get from my manager, then get all my documents certified & in the post!

I've been advised to get my occupation assessed with AIR first, then unfortunately l have to do the English IELTS test as I'm 43 and need the extra points, then submit my EOI & wait!!! I'm going for a PR as l have 2 children school age and I've been advised this is the best option and you get Medicare.

We are looking to move to Queensland, as my occupation (as well as your husbands) is on the state sponsored list, this would probably be the most sensible option for us. We are hoping to move next year once my eldest has finished his A'levels.

Stay in touch it would be great to compare notes!

Jules

PS. Are there any Brits working in QLD that has a Radiotherapy Department? I'd love to have a contact to let me know how to get jobs, is it possible to get one lined up before l leave or better once your on the ground? There seems to be a lot of agencies for the nursing profession but very limited for Radiographers, or am l not looking in the right place?

Thanks,

Thanks for all your replies. The prospect of moving is so huge but we are determined to do it his time. Permanent resisdence is definitely the best for us, thanks for highlighting that. Do I go through the Australian immigration for that? Or use companies such as visa bureau?

Sorry if I am being a bit thick, it's just so massive I don't know where to start.

Thanks

Sara

Thanks for all your replies. The prospect of moving is so huge but we are determined to do it his time. Permanent resisdence is definitely the best for us, thanks for highlighting that. Do I go through the Australian immigration for that? Or use companies such as visa bureau?

Sorry if I am being a bit thick, it's just so massive I don't know where to start.

Thanks

Sara

If you want to be taken through it step by step, then best get an agent to help you. If you are happy to work your way through it yourself then this is also possible and will save money, but does require a lot of reading on http://www.immi.gov.au and probably other websites as well.

First steps. Properly assess who is the main applicant, this does not need to be the main earner or the one who will get a job first. It should be whomever can get a visa the easiest. Take a points test and look into skills assessment to see who can pass the most easily.

Once decided focus on one thing at a time. First you will need to get skills assessment and IELTS completed. This can be the hardest bit of the process, you don't deal with immigration for skills assessment, you deal directly with the authorised skills assessing body for your occupation.

After that you lodge an expression of interest with immigration. Then when you get an invitation you lodge your application. From there you just await further instructions.

It would probably be easier for me to get a visa because I am younger than my husband and English is my first language, where his is polish. But he has scored well on IELTS. However, I want to work part time because of my children. Does the main visa applicant have to work full time? If you are sponsored by the employer then I understand this to be correct?

It would probably be easier for me to get a visa because I am younger than my husband and English is my first language, where his is polish. But he has scored well on IELTS. However, I want to work part time because of my children. Does the main visa applicant have to work full time? If you are sponsored by the employer then I understand this to be correct?

Yes you will have to work full time if sponsored by an employer. But if you want to move permanently, employer sponsorship is in my opinion not as good as skilled migration. With a skilled migration PR visa, you are free to do as you please work wise.

Thanks, so if I went for a skilled migration visa, and was successful, how would I go about getting a job? Would I search for a job myself or through an agency?

Sorry for all the questions :err:

Thanks, so if I went for a skilled migration visa, and was successful, how would I go about getting a job? Would I search for a job myself or through an agency?

Sorry for all the questions :err:

You would go about getting a job same way as you would here. It might be through an agency or it might not be, whatever is normal for your profession.

But really, if you are getting confused, then you have to stop trying to tackle everything all at once.

One thing at a time is the best strategy if you are doing this on your own (without migration agent I mean).

• 1 year later...

Hi guys,

I'm in the process of heading over to Australia and from my research it seems AHPRA now covers registration for radiographers. I know it's been a while since someone posted but would be keen to hear what your out comes were?

Cheers

Archived