Any advise on selling house in UK?

Guest Pinhead

Guest Pinhead

I'm in the process of tarting up my house for sale. I aim to put it on the market at the end of May with my flight to Oz in the middle of February 09.

Does anyone have any advice on getting a (relatively) quick sale (i.e find a definite buyer in 6 months)?

I've never sold or bought a property through an estate agent before and would welcome any advice on what to do to present my house well and how to pick a good agent.

My house in right on the border between some really nice, expensive houses & some that are a lot less nice ones. So it's difficult to choose agents to go with, ones who would be selling a house at the lower end of their range or those at the upper end.

I was thinking about giving the agent an incentive to sell by agreeing to pay 2% fee if they sell it at the full initial listing price or 1 1/2 % if they don't. I'd make sure they commited to valuation first. Any thoughts?

Hi Pinhead

That sounds like a good idea to me. The only thing that occurs to me is what would happen if you decided to change your agent because you were unhappy - someone told me that each agent prepares their own HIP pack and if you leave that agent, you can't take the HIP with you (meaning you have to fork out for a new one). :chatterbox:

Hopefully the person who told me this is wrong and I'm hoping that someone in the know will correct me on this if so because I would be interested in knowing for sure.

Wishing you luck with your idea - let us know how you get on !

Thanks

Mrs Tyke x

Guest wardy

Personally I would not go for a commission based fee negotiate a fixed fee sale. Ours was valued at just under 200k and we got 3 agents down to a fixed fee of £1250 after negotiations the one we chose offered to do it for £850.

EA's at the minute need you more than you need them EA are going under because there are not enough houses to sell.

If you want to offer bonus on top if they sell it thats your decision but you are probably better to give that incentive to the buyer, say you could pay solicitors fees etc.

Another thing dont get an agent who offers you a sole selling rights contract they will want paying even if you find your own buyer get a sole selling agency contract.

Many EA also offer a 16 week exclusivity and you are tied in with them get it down to 8 weeks.

Check also the multiagency agreement some will want more commisssion if you engage another agent we agreed to pay 1% if they sold it while we were also advertising with someone else.

A property lawyer friend of mine gave me these tips I didn't know any of this until I put my house onthe market 4 weeks ago.

I am glad we did negotiate a small fee we sold it in 3 weeks to the 2nd offer.

Make sure you dont get a dip in service because you are paying less we didnt because they were scared of me :cute:

good luck

Guest wardy
Hi Pinhead

That sounds like a good idea to me. The only thing that occurs to me is what would happen if you decided to change your agent because you were unhappy - someone told me that each agent prepares their own HIP pack and if you leave that agent, you can't take the HIP with you (meaning you have to fork out for a new one). :chatterbox:

Hopefully the person who told me this is wrong and I'm hoping that someone in the know will correct me on this if so because I would be interested in knowing for sure.

Wishing you luck with your idea - let us know how you get on !

Thanks

Mrs Tyke x

The solicitor doing our legals is doing our HIP pack. Apparently many delays are caused between the EA and solicitor in trying to send the HIP.

Mortgage broker friend of mine said it has been a nightmare sometimes the HIP packs don't open on the computer after being sent by email

If you have your solicitor doing it theres no delays mine cost £295

Guest Clare Pickersgill

Hi there

Some excellent advice from Kaye I could not have said it better myself! I was an estate agent until earlier this year and the only extra advice I can offer is not to be scared of them! keep yor cool, set out what u want from the off and keep tabs on them. They are terrible with feedback so keep ringing them for it be firm without being too pushy but let them no u want a good service. Best advice given was defo go with a fixed price, make sure everything is included, adverts assisted viewings if needed, so no nasty shocks at end!

Best of Luck

Clare P

Guest Pinhead

Thanks all for the advice.

The only thing I was worried about with using a fixed price was that the agent may keep telling you to cut the price so that they can get a quick, easy sale rather than actually earning their money.

Personally if I could sell it without an agent I would but in the current climate it wouldn't be a good idea.

Guest wardy
Hi there

Some excellent advice from Kaye I could not have said it better myself! I was an estate agent until earlier this year and the only extra advice I can offer is not to be scared of them! keep yor cool, set out what u want from the off and keep tabs on them. They are terrible with feedback so keep ringing them for it be firm without being too pushy but let them no u want a good service. Best advice given was defo go with a fixed price, make sure everything is included, adverts assisted viewings if needed, so no nasty shocks at end!

Best of Luck

Clare P

Thanks clare.

Sounds like me keeping tabs without being pushy :biglaugh:

we did actually tell the EA we were moving to Aus and they pulled out all the stops we even got feature house in one paper, they didnt tell anyone we put our viewers in the picture when theyarrived just in conversation nothing pushy.

Most comapnies advertise on rightmove make sure they do most people look on there.

My hubby turned out to be great at the viewings we left him to it and went out.

Thanks Kaye and Clare for your superb advice!

I'm so glad I joined this forum, I have bookmarked this page so I remember what I need to do when the time comes to sell...if it ever does come!!

Kaye, I can't believe you made anyone scared of you, you're too nice for that :yes:

Mrs Tyke x

Guest wardy

Kaye, I can't believe you made anyone scared of you, you're too nice for that :yes:

Mrs Tyke x

AWWWW thanks :cry:

So are you :wubclub:

Guest Sunsh1ne

Hi

1. We had our HIPS done with the Agent - it was done quickly and available on the internet - when we changed agent we kept the same HIPS - you only need to waste your money once on them !!!

2. Make sure you read the marketing material and view the photos - is there anything you want to change or improve on - we added extra bits like NEFF appliances in the kitchen, allocated parking etc - things the EA left out. I also didn't like the photos they took - too dark, didn't include views etc so took my own.

3. Don't feel you are harrassing them every time you call - this is exactly how I felt but towards the end became much more 'say it as it is' and not intimidated.

4. Ignore whatever the viewers tell you about your home. Of the 8 viewings we had 6 loved the house but didn't give any other constructive feedback.

Finally remember it only takes one person to like it .....

Good luck - it's great that you are giving yourself sufficient time.

Sunsh1ne

Archived