Films, TV and Books

SarahCipo

Waiting for the visa grant seems like an eternity, I'm not even half way through yet... Sigh! To fill all that time, as well as working and saving, clearing out a lifetimes worth of junk and making endless mental packing lists, I've been trying to watch as much Tv and films as I can which are either Australian films/ tv shows or are set there. Ive been reading 'Down Under' by Bill Bryson as well which is excellent.

Does anyone else do this? Does anyone have any good recommendations? My favorites are below:

Films

Two hands

Muriel's wedding

The castle

Candy

TV

Underbelly

Border security

Poms in paradise

Wanted down under (revisited)

Bondi vet

Mrs Biggs

Books

Down Under by Bill Bryson

Great selection Sarah, the Castle is one of my favourite comedies.

I'd also recommend Kenny about a toilet engineer in Melbourne. And of course you can't have a list about Australian films without incl Priscilla.

Films:

Priscilla Queen of The Desert

Kenny

Strictly Ballroom

Razzle Dazzle : A journey into dance

The Dish

Babe and Happy feet (both made in Oz but not Australian:)

Books:

The Slap

TV:

Winners and Losers

Rake

btw Razzle Dazzeke stars the excellent Brit actor Ben Miller (the worst week of my life

I couldn't get into Bill Bryson's Down Under, seemed a bit written on the hop to me but did so and have it in my book case. Funnily se a number of back packers on our Perth beaches reading it.

Anyway as for films, see a few real Aussie ones. If your coming to Perth, Fran made in 1985, remains one of the most vivid articulations of the city.

To get a feeling of the undercurrent, can be quite tough, but true to form check out the following....

Snow Town from 2011

Mad Bastards 2010

Suburban Mayhem 2006

Sommersault 2003

Australian Rules 2002

Return Home 1990

Long Weekend 1978

Wake In Fright 1971

For TV

Ja'mie Private School Girl

Swift And Shift Couriers

Houses

All rather hardcore OZ comedy. Give you an introduction into the Bogan culture of OZ.

Archived