Want to break the lease within a weeks time due to cockroaches and flooding in Laundry

mansawant

Hi all, any info, advice much appreciated. We just moved in a rental property in Sydney signing 12 months term on 5 March. We dumped our stuff and came back at night to see the lounge and kitchen full of cockraches. As my son was really scared of them paid $110 next day and did pest control. However next day realized that tlthey are coming from next door as that door was covered with 15-20 cockroaches from outside. When we came for inspection some one was living next door but when moved in that property was empty. Though we did pest control on Thursday they are coming from the front door with babies. Its just 4 days and we are felling we are living in hell as there was flooding in Laundry as well. The sandy water with bad smell came from the Laundry outlet and we have to clear the mess. My wife did cleaning 5-6 times within last 4 days. Our unit is nice but we can't leave with cockraches. I have told estate agent buy nothing has been done so far. Are we able to break the lease within a weeks time of moving in. We have signed 12 months term starting from 5 March. My son is so scarred that he woke up twice yesterday night shouting it's there on the wall in the bedroom.

Does anyone know whether we are allowed to break the lease due to these reasons.

Many thanks

.....Mansawant

You can break the lease whenever you want. Just be prepared to pay for re-advertising and rental until a new tenant is found.

If the flooding is due to some issue with the house rather than a blockage you've caused. the landlord has to get it sorted so bug the agent. Not sure what you can do about the cockroaches; it's outside the remit of the agent to get other properties sorted, though if you're in a unit block with a body corporate you can get them onto it, as they look after all the properties on the block and each owner/landlord is paying money each year to a fund to deal with issues with the units.

Archived