WHV is expiring and need a bridging visa whilst I apply for 190. waiting on IELTS

Conn3rz

So I finish my working holiday visa in 12 days. I've been successful in getting state sponsored on a 190 visa, however, I complete my IELTS test tomorrow but don't receive my results until after my current visa expires. I'm British but need 8 in a lll bands for extra points. Is there anything I can do to gain a bridging visa as I can't apply for my 189 until my IELTS results are in my hand and they take 13 days. I don't want to overstay and that affect my new application, even that its only ONE day .... HELP? I really don;t want to have to leave as I get priority processing if I'm still in the country....My life is here already so leaving really can't be my only option - Can it?

Correction - 189 skilled state nominated.

So I finish my working holiday visa in 12 days. I've been successful in getting state sponsored on a 190 visa, however, I complete my IELTS test tomorrow but don't receive my results until after my current visa expires. I'm British but need 8 in a lll bands for extra points. Is there anything I can do to gain a bridging visa as I can't apply for my 189 until my IELTS results are in my hand and they take 13 days. I don't want to overstay and that affect my new application, even that its only ONE day .... HELP? I really don;t want to have to leave as I get priority processing if I'm still in the country....My life is here already so leaving really can't be my only option - Can it?

Correction - 189 skilled state nominated.

Where did you get the idea that you get priority processing if you're still in the country? All valid EOIs are processed with exactly the same priority and AFAIK, the same applies to visa applications.

If you haven't actually made an onshore visa application, I don't think it's possible to get anything other than a very limited specific duration Bridging visa and you may not be eligible at all given your circumstances. Even if you can get one, they're very restricted - no work, can't leave the country.

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/1024i.pdf Bridging visas

Agreed, there is no priority processing.

You can not get a bridging visa without having applied for another visa. It is literally like a bridge over the gap between the two visas. No second visa, no bridge.

Your best bet would be to see if there is any way you can hurry up your results.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies. Bit the bullet and packed my bags, cancelled the Bali flight and flew home to the UK instead. Flew at 11pm on Thursday, got my IELTS 16 hours later!! Anyway, visa lodged from home and now I'm awaiting a Case Officer. All documents uploaded apart from UK police clearance, Australia Police Clearance and medical...can I go ahead and apply for these now or do I have to wait until I'm asked for them? Anyone know?

Is this an easy visa to get? I've never seen anyone at all say they have had this visa.

I think that's the one I referred to in my answer. If I've understood the details, you can get a maximum of 10 working days. I included a link to the Bridging visa info so the OP could see if that option was worth considering.

Bridging visa D:

there are 2 sub-classes of Bridging visa D:

• Prospective applicant

For a non-citizen who is unlawful (or will become unlawful within 3 working days) and wishes to make a substantive application but is unable to do so. For example, where an incorrect form has been used or the correct application charge cannot be paid.

In these circumstances a Bridging visa D is granted for 5 working days to allow a valid application to be made.

Note:

Only 2 visas can be granted for this purpose since an applicant last held a substantive visa.

I think that's the one I referred to in my answer. If I've understood the details, you can get a maximum of 10 working days. I included a link to the Bridging visa info so the OP could see if that option was worth considering.

Bridging visa D:

there are 2 sub-classes of Bridging visa D:

• Prospective applicant

For a non-citizen who is unlawful (or will become unlawful within 3 working days) and wishes to make a substantive application but is unable to do so. For example, where an incorrect form has been used or the correct application charge cannot be paid.

In these circumstances a Bridging visa D is granted for 5 working days to allow a valid application to be made.

Note:

Only 2 visas can be granted for this purpose since an applicant last held a substantive visa.

That is correct.

Thanks for all your help guys.

Just for anyones info on bridging visa; I spoke with DIPB and you are only eligible for bridging visa A or B and can never go back up the alphabet on to a better bridging vas, furthermore, you cannot apply for the 190 visa whilst on anything after a bridging visa B. Also, bridging visa A and B can only be grafted once another substantive visa has been applied for.

Archived