Trying to get sponsored in Perth.. Anyone have any advice??

Tinkers26

Hi, me and my partner travelled australia 2010-2012 and are trying to get back now on a sponsorship, I am an optical dispenser and have worked in this field for over 5 years now and have recently gained my cert 4 in optical dispensing, however I have been told that I am not eligible for a 186 visa as I need 3 years post qualification experience, I know I am eligible for a 457 visa but I'm struggling to find an employer willing to sponsor me on this due to the high wage bracket ($54,000 a year!) my partner is a roof tiler and has 10 years experience in this but he doesn't have any certificates to show, however he did go to uni and got a degree in business management. Does anyone have any information on the best and quickest way we might be able to get sponsored in WA as I have been home over a year now and hate living in England!! Any advice wouldbe greatly appreciated! :)

I have applied for every job going in WA for an optical dispenser and have heard nothing back yet, i am tempted to go on a tourist visa and try once I'm back there, but it's risking a lot leaving my job and apartment when a sponsor isn't guaranteed!

Be patient, finding a willing sponsor can take time, especially if you are looking in largely populated areas (cities). Have you considered

living in regional WA? I wouldn't recommend coming out here on a tourist visa to find a sponsor, especially if you are giving up a job and home. Has your partner considered becoming Australian qualified via a RPL (recognition of prior learning)?

First of all, are you aware that a company sponsored visa is only a temp visa? For a maximum of 4 years and no guarantee of staying beyond?

Have you spoken to a good migration agent to see if your partners work experience may substitute for qualifications? That would would be my first starting point.

You have to remember that first, not every company can sponsor. Then you need to consider that a lot that can will not out of policy. Then you need to consider if your qualifications / experience are so good that a company is going to go through the hassle and expense of sponsoring you over a local applicant.

Not to be rude but I think you may find it hard to get sponsored with those skills, your partner may have more luck but it is very dependant on where you wish to live and the work available and other tilers will tell you work is up and down. It may be best to work out how much money it would cost to live where you wish to go then work out what the work is like in that state / city. Cheaper than flying out here and ending up with no work which does happen to many!

Archived