Keeps license with 16 points to drive daughter to private school

Guest Guest66881

Guest Guest66881

A businessman with 16 points on his licence has been allowed to carry on driving so his daughter can stay in private school.

Record dealer Michael Craig claimed his business would suffer and he would have to move his six-year-old daughter from Dundee High School if he was given the usual totting-up ban.

Craig – who boasted three months ago about how well his business was doing – claimed it would struggle to survive if he was hit with the six-month disqualification.

Perth’s Justice of the Peace Court was told that Craig was already on 12 points when he was clocked speeding on the A9 near the Perthshire village of Greenloaning.

The court heard he had escaped a previous ban for hitting the 12-point mark due to an ‘oversight’ by the English court where his previous case was dealt with.

Yesterday, Craig, 50, of Longforgan, near Dundee, admitted speeding at 73mph in a van with a limit of 60mph on the A9 Perth to Stirling road on April 24, 2013.

Pleading exceptional hardship, Craig said: ‘My daughter is at Dundee High School. My father wanted to pay for her first two years at the High School.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2573592/Father-allowed-driving-16-points-licence-daughter-private-school.html:confused:

Grew up about 17 miles from Dundee (and 16 from Perh).

All the kids of the pretentious parents went to Dundee High. Had a reputation for drugs even back then as do a lot of schools where the kids have too much pocket money.

admitted speeding at 73mph in a van with a limit of 60mph on the A9 Perth to Stirling road

Seems harsh - everyone drives fast on the A9 apart from the lorries. I would regularly go over 90. Most of the Perth to Stirling bit is dualled anyway and should have a 70 mph limit.

Seems harsh - everyone drives fast on the A9 apart from the lorries. I would regularly go over 90. Most of the Perth to Stirling bit is dualled anyway and should have a 70 mph limit.

Can't see why it's harsh. 13 mph over the limit is more than the 10% + 1 mph "allowance" that is typically given before prosecuting and whilst I will admit to having exceeded the speed limit on the A9, 90 mph is reckless given the number of fatalities that road has seen with innocent parties normally the victims.

Someone who has racked up 16 points obviously has a blatant disregard for the rules of the road. A ban would have given them time to consider their actions.

Archived