Hello from a Forum Newbie with a WHV!

leggyblondebird

Hi all!

I have been in Australia on a WHV since 27th December 2012. I love every minute of the experience and intend to keep living this dream for the rest of my life. I now have an Aussie boyfriend so I will be applying for a partner visa before the end of my second year WHV.

I found getting my second year visa really easy. I spent three and a half months working on a stud farm in Upper Lansdowne, NSW. It was fantastic and I really enjoyed the experience. I am a very outdoorsy person but prior to coming to Australia I spent three years working as a PA and event planner so it was certainly a change to not be in an office! I worked long days, around 6am-11pm and did it all for free, just doing some babysitting for pocket money, but I loved it all. I was a real part of the family and even long after leaving, I still keep in good touch with the family I lived with. I had no previous experience with horses either, and I was the only farmhand and single handedly ran the place a lot! We had 30 horses, 40 organic beef cattle, lots of chickens, three cats and a dog. There were also the two children that I helped take care of around the farming for my pocket money, so it really was an incredible learning experience and I really felt like I had given a lot back to the country for the amazing experiences it continues to provide me with. I also really felt that I had earned my second year visa. It was nice to feel like I deserved it so much!

So now I am temping with a local council and saving to make a life with my boyfriend. We have been seeing each other since I arrived here and officially became a couple in September 2013, so this September we can apply for the partner visa and I will be able to stay. I stayed with him and his family a lot before and during my farming, then moved in properly mid-July 2013 and have been living there and working in the area ever since. I am a little concerned about the partner visa application, but we are building up a good bundle of evidence so we shouldn’t encounter too many problems, I am hoping.

I joined here for advice (both giving and receiving) and just a general feel for a community in a similar position, to talk about all the awesome aspects of this wonderful country. And to say that if you have ever tried to call IMMI…my gosh! I called four times and each time waited for half an hour before giving up. I finally got through 15 minutes into the fifth attempt. I was just trying to find the answer to a question regarding exact work limitations as the VEVO documents are so vague. Got there in the end though, and I will hold that woman to her answer!

Anyway, that’s a little about my experience here. I continue to explore the place by regular long drives, walks and camping trips with my boyfriend and just keep falling further and further in love with the country. I know this is where I want to be.

I look forward to meeting lots of you and finding out about all of your experiences.

Hattie.

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi Hattie welcome to the forum.

Wow it sounds like everything has fallen in to place for you and sounds like the move here has done you good.

When you have time I would love if you could post more about your WHV experience over here http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/backpacking-whv/

We have a member who is currently unsure whether to come for a holiday or come out on a WHV, I think the latter would be better and give her more options, I'm sure she will have many questions for you if she sees your post.

Guest Ptp113
Hi all!

I have been in Australia on a WHV since 27th December 2012. I love every minute of the experience and intend to keep living this dream for the rest of my life. I now have an Aussie boyfriend so I will be applying for a partner visa before the end of my second year WHV.

I found getting my second year visa really easy. I spent three and a half months working on a stud farm in Upper Lansdowne, NSW. It was fantastic and I really enjoyed the experience. I am a very outdoorsy person but prior to coming to Australia I spent three years working as a PA and event planner so it was certainly a change to not be in an office! I worked long days, around 6am-11pm and did it all for free, just doing some babysitting for pocket money, but I loved it all. I was a real part of the family and even long after leaving, I still keep in good touch with the family I lived with. I had no previous experience with horses either, and I was the only farmhand and single handedly ran the place a lot! We had 30 horses, 40 organic beef cattle, lots of chickens, three cats and a dog. There were also the two children that I helped take care of around the farming for my pocket money, so it really was an incredible learning experience and I really felt like I had given a lot back to the country for the amazing experiences it continues to provide me with. I also really felt that I had earned my second year visa. It was nice to feel like I deserved it so much!

So now I am temping with a local council and saving to make a life with my boyfriend. We have been seeing each other since I arrived here and officially became a couple in September 2013, so this September we can apply for the partner visa and I will be able to stay. I stayed with him and his family a lot before and during my farming, then moved in properly mid-July 2013 and have been living there and working in the area ever since. I am a little concerned about the partner visa application, but we are building up a good bundle of evidence so we shouldn’t encounter too many problems, I am hoping.

I joined here for advice (both giving and receiving) and just a general feel for a community in a similar position, to talk about all the awesome aspects of this wonderful country. And to say that if you have ever tried to call IMMI…my gosh! I called four times and each time waited for half an hour before giving up. I finally got through 15 minutes into the fifth attempt. I was just trying to find the answer to a question regarding exact work limitations as the VEVO documents are so vague. Got there in the end though, and I will hold that woman to her answer!

Anyway, that’s a little about my experience here. I continue to explore the place by regular long drives, walks and camping trips with my boyfriend and just keep falling further and further in love with the country. I know this is where I want to be.

I look forward to meeting lots of you and finding out about all of your experiences.

Hattie.

Newcastle is one of the best areas in Oz imho.