Online citizenship application - attaching forms

Perez

Hi all,

I'm about to put in my citizenship application but am a little confused. Hoping someone has already gone through this successfully and will be able to offer some advice.

With regard to attaching documents to the application (scanned forms such as the police checking one) as well as documents, the site guidance specifies that the files should be jpeg format and less than 500kb per file.

In the case of multi page files (such as the police checking form), what needs to be done? At the moment we've scanned each page as an individual jpeg, and will upload individually making sure the page number is in the filename. Is this the way to do it?

It's a bit weird that they won't take other formats such as pdf as this would make it much easier!

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Just take them with you to the interview. That's all we did as we did both of our separate applications on an iPad and couldn't upload. It didn't cause any hassle.

Thanks. Submitted my application.

I called DIAC and they advised to do as best as I could with regard to attaching the images. They said that if images couldn't be attached then certified documents would need to be sent to them by post. It was suggested that this could be done at the same time as the application, in order to reduce any delay caused by them having to ask for them.

In the end (with a bit of fiddling with image qualities), I got all the pages under 500kb (and still readable).

So now I just have to sit back and wait to get invited to an interview!

• 4 weeks later...

Yes this 500KB JPEG stipulation is absurd, when every scanner I've used scans as PDF. So any ideas about how to convert my nice PDFs to smaller JPEGs?

The other option is to post - they keep repeating this on the site but never actually tell you which address, so I'm wary of posting it to the Melbourne office (which I stipulated online) in case they go astray.

Would they need the electricity bill and form 1195 certifying as well? Seems a bit strange to get a household bill certified...

Yes this 500KB JPEG stipulation is absurd, when every scanner I've used scans as PDF. So any ideas about how to convert my nice PDFs to smaller JPEGs?

The other option is to post - they keep repeating this on the site but never actually tell you which address, so I'm wary of posting it to the Melbourne office (which I stipulated online) in case they go astray.

Would they need the electricity bill and form 1195 certifying as well? Seems a bit strange to get a household bill certified...

I would suggest using photoshop or another image editor such as GIMP, Paint.net... capture each page and save as a separate JPEG.. upload as required. This worked for me although was a bit fiddly.

Bit of a painful process and not one for the technophobe!

With regard to certification, online docs don't need to be certified, but postal ones do. Conflicting information exists on the DIAC site, but I confirmed this with them by telephone.

So I uploaded all documents as JPEG, none were certified and I was fine. I took the originals to the appointment and they checked them.

Good luck!

I used Adobe Pro to convert my PDFs to JPEG's because I was at work, but my backup plan was just to take photos of the documents rather than scan them. I used Paint to reduce the size before uploading. I didn't upload form 1195 at all, I just took it to my interview and it was fine. Randomly at the interview I was asked to provide my Medicare card which wasn't one of the docs I'd uploaded!

Hello,

I am about to apply for citizenship soon. I am planning to apply online. Can I get "One passport-sized photograph and Identity declaration signed by an Australian citizen with the appropriate authority" completed before the actual day i become eligible to apply for Citizenship? or I have to Wait till I am eligible, then get this documents signed?

Hello,

I am about to apply for citizenship soon. I am planning to apply online. Can I get "One passport-sized photograph and Identity declaration signed by an Australian citizen with the appropriate authority" completed before the actual day i become eligible to apply for Citizenship? or I have to Wait till I am eligible, then get this documents signed?

I don't think it matters - I would say you can in fact as the declaration is not concerned with citizenship eligibility, only identity.