Rabies vaccine/blood testing

Hi Bob,We had our little Shih tzu cross Llhaso Apso vaccinated last year as we thought our move was imminent. However, we lost our buyers and so had to remarket our property. Hence we didn't continue with blood testing etc as we were unsure how quickly another buyer might come along. Anyway it's 7mths since the rabies vaccine and we are now in a position to continue. Please can you kindly advise our way forward or whether we need to start vaccine process from scratch. Many thanks

Dear Mrs Kenneyboy

You are better to start again from scratch unless you are in a rush to go to Australia. The risk of taking the blood now is that the antibodies have gone down then it will be a blood sample wasted.

Basically if you are in a rush to go to Australia then get the rabies vaccination redone and the rabies blood sample done on the same day - this way you have got all angles covered. If you are not in a rush get teh rabies vaccination done, then wait 3-4 weeks and get the blood sample done.

The blood sample now lasts for 24 months so you can get it done as early as you wish (within reason)

Bob

http://www.petairuk.com/australia

Anybody?

I took my cat for her rabies jab on Friday and I'm sure the vet said it was 180 days before they leave quaranteen, so I guess you can take off the 30 days

Please don't quote me though x

Hi bob,

Sorry to jump in on this thread but I'm hoping you might be-able to advise me ( again )

Im not sure if you remember but my furbaby BUSTER flew to Australia in November 2012, we then moved back to the uk in July 2013, buster had a rabies vaccination (inactivated) and his parvo, distemper,parainfluenza,bordetella vaccination on 31/05/13 we have now decided to move back to Australia, can you tell me what I need to do? Or do I have to do everything from scratch again?

Thanking you in advance bob

Kind regards

Rebecca

Archived