Need advice on sponsorship or how to stay in Australia.

milo 52

Hi everyone,

I have been in Oz for just over a year now and I am on a working holiday visa, my plan when I came out here was to get sponsorship. I have just finish 6 months with a company who sponsor a lot of people and more than likely would of sponsor me if I payed for it. They are base in Sydney and all the work is in Sydney and to be true I do not like Sydney and don't want to be tied down here for two years.

The place I would like to live is Queensland and get sponsorship there, but it is so hard to get a job there I am a plumber by trade with Oz licence. I don't mind what I do there if I get sponsorship from plumbing to working in the mines need contacts.

Is there any other way of staying in Australia or should I give it a few months and ring back up my Sydney company and be tied for 2 years there.

Thanks Milo

Yeah if I could get sponsorship from QLD company that would make my day, When can you apply for permanent residency?

I have heard of a skilled migration visa but does that mean I can only work for plumbing company's or any company. I thought you had to stay with the company that gave you sponsorship for a minimum of two year before changing jobs.

If you get PR through skilled migration you can do any type of work.

Most companies sponsor on a 457 temp visa, as it's an employer sponsored you need to remain with your sponsor while you are on the visa or find a new sponsor to take over the 457 obligations. there is a misconception that after 2 years you are then automatically able to apply for PR.

You can apply for PR at any time if you meet the direct entry conditions - positive skills assessment and 3 years work experience. After working for the same employer on 457 for 2 years you are exempt from the skills assessment - but you still need a willing employer to sponsor for PR.

If you want to work in QLD, and you can get a positive skills assessment and pass the points test - the 189 visa would give the flexibility that you are looking for.

Yeah if I could get sponsorship from QLD company that would make my day, When can you apply for permanent residency?

I have heard of a skilled migration visa but does that mean I can only work for plumbing company's or any company. I thought you had to stay with the company that gave you sponsorship for a minimum of two year before changing jobs.

You should do some research of the various work-related visas on the DIBP website to give yourself a better understanding of how they work and what you may qualify for.

Archived