Teaching skills assessment

Reena1991

Hi, hoping someone can answer my question. We are in the middle of applying for SS for south oz and OH has just passed his skills test as a mechanic. We are getting the visa based solely on his occupation, no points are coming from my occupation as a primary teacher.

My question is this: once we arrive, can I just register as a teacher in South Aus, do the required first aid and police checks and start doing relief work or do my skills need to be assessed by AITSL, the oz teacher skills assessment agency? Our migration agent says no as we are not using my occupation for the visa but I wanted to check as don't want to arrive and then find out that I do need to do it as it will be so much harder to get all the required paperwork over there. Am really hoping I don't have to have skills assessed as it's more money to spend out and another load of paperwork to deal with!!

Anyone know the answer to this?

Thanks for reading!

Hi, hoping someone can answer my question. We are in the middle of applying for SS for south oz and OH has just passed his skills test as a mechanic. We are getting the visa based solely on his occupation, no points are coming from my occupation as a primary teacher.

My question is this: once we arrive, can I just register as a teacher in South Aus, do the required first aid and police checks and start doing relief work or do my skills need to be assessed by AITSL, the oz teacher skills assessment agency? Our migration agent says no as we are not using my occupation for the visa but I wanted to check as don't want to arrive and then find out that I do need to do it as it will be so much harder to get all the required paperwork over there. Am really hoping I don't have to have skills assessed as it's more money to spend out and another load of paperwork to deal with!!

Anyone know the answer to this?

Thanks for reading!

No, as your husband is the main visa holder you will not need to do AITSL.

However, you will need to register with the teaching registration board in your state.

There is a fee and they will assess your qualifications and then if successful, give you permission to teach ( you must have four years of university education).

Do make sure to bring all of the required documents with you. A lot of paperwork is needed and it can take a few weeks to process. You would be wise to look up the website and gather all the documents you need before you arrive. University transcripts and details of your supervised teaching pracs will be required as a necessity.

Archived