Baby passport help

sarahfrankolly

Hi.

my husband, our four year old son and myself are all from the uk, British at birth and hold uk passports with 176 visa's in now that we live in Australia

I've had a baby here in Australia and now I'm trying to get him a uk passport so we can all travel on the same passports to Bali in june. The question is on the passport form "is he a British national at birth " I want to say yes but I'm doubting myself, can anyone clarify this for me?

also would the 176 be automatically added to his passport or does he not need it?

would I just be better to get him an Australian passport?

many thanks

He doesn't need a visa he is an Australian Citizen by birth and a British Citizen by descent.

not sure about the form is there no guidance for completing it?

He can just travel on the Australian passport, he will need one anyway as citizens are expected to travel with it.

Well he is automatically a British citizen at birth given he is your son.

He is automatically a British Citizen by Descent.

So if the question reads exactly as you have stated it the answer would be Yes.

It does sound an oddly worded question though, are you sure it doesn't ask if he was born in the UK ?

Yes, your baby is a British citizen 'by descent' and has been a British national since birth.

Because he's an Australian citizen, he really should have an Australian passport as well as a British one, particularly if you will be doing much overseas travel. The problem is that it isn't possible for anyone to travel to Australia without an Australian or NZ passport or a valid Australian visa (the airlines won't carry them) but because he's an Australian citizen, he can't get one of the usual Australian visas. If he only has a UK passport, he will need an Australian Declaratory visa in it - that's the only kind of Australian visa available to an Australian citizen. An ADV costs $185 - a passport is $122.

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/931.pdf Australian Declaratory visa

Hi,

thanks for the quick response.

the question is def asked "was the applicant a British national at birth" and when I look in the help section all it goes on about is people from other countries having babies in the uk or the forces. Super frustrating and the passport Australian side couldn't help me much with the uk passport questions.

So would people think I'm better to travel with us on uk passports and him on an Australian one?

Thanks again

Well he needs to travel on an Australian passport anyway, so whether you get a UK one as well is up to you. You all go through the same line at customs, pick the shortest as they don't split families.

tbh I wouldn't bother with the UK one yet as they are only valid for a short time when very young so may be an unnecessary expense.

are you all planning to get Australian citizenship, I do believe it is good for a family to have the same citizenships as each other.

All Australian citizens are required to exit Australia and enter Australia on an Australian passport.

So if he is an Australian citizen because of his birth here then I would just get him an Australian passport.

You may have border troubles if he is a Australian citizen and enters Australia on a British passport.

So without the risk of sounding dumb it doesn't matter that the rest of his family are on uk passports as I thought that would arouse more suspicion.

ill def get the Aussie passport with the attached visa that ozmaniac suggested but moving forward will a uk passport be only of use if we travel around Europe and serves no purpose if we come in and out of Australia as that's the only passport he is allowed to travel on here?

So without the risk of sounding dumb it doesn't matter that the rest of his family are on uk passports as I thought that would arouse more suspicion.

ill def get the Aussie passport with the attached visa that ozmaniac suggested but moving forward will a uk passport be only of use if we travel around Europe and serves no purpose if we come in and out of Australia as that's the only passport he is allowed to travel on here?

The ADV I suggested is ONLY needed if he's travelling on a UK passport. If he has an Australian passport, no visa is needed at all. Bottom line - get an Australian passport for him and forget about a UK passport until you want to travel to the UK or elsewhere in Europe with him.

It doesn't matter that the rest of the family are travelling on different passports - that's a very common occurrence these days.

My oh and I have different nationalities and travel with our lo different passports- no one has ever questioned it. The only issue we have ever had was my oh has 2 current passports for the same country, he entered Australia on a tourist visa on one - pr was granted on the other after - their system couldn't cope with it.

Archived