WA still topping other states

And 79days with no rain...who would want to endure that...Two years was enough for me in the relentless sun of WA...Now live in beautiful cool,rainy Tasmania, and the best move I ever made..

The last 3 months, at least, has been like paradise for me. I love this weather, that's what we came here for. Don't think I'd like Tas one bit. Goddess job we aren't all the same.

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Very true of course. Away with the naval gazing and self righteous indignation, by those of considerate number that continue unabated to keep the place programmed back to the future.

This city should be oozing with a wider, more diverse range of folk, capable of lifting the city to greater heights.

Away with the parochial and conservative complacency, what this place needs is an edge. It needs quirkiness and more folk less mainstream, that can turn this city around, from a place built on envy and greed and competition over material pursuits , a non untypical American Mid Western city and disengage from Bogan dictation of values to something far more interesting, soulful and rewarding.

The recent Fringe and Festival of Perth, along with the Writers Festival was certainly steps in the right direction.

With such uncritical mass no wonder Perth fails to reach its potential.

There's been so much happening in Perth and Freo over the last few months we've been spoilt for choice. The Perth festival has been going for a few years now so it's nothing new. There is always heaps to do in Perth and surrounds. If you're into sports events too there's been world class triathlons and adventure races held close to Perth in the last few weeks. Don't even have to travel that far.

I fully understand how England's underclass, not a term I'd use but working class coming perhaps from council estates, grey skies and poor prospects are rightly defensive of their adopted country . Land and swimming pool would have been beyond many folk's wildest dreams. Perpetual blue skies, the beach, everything shinny and new, I really get it and don't mean to sound ferocious, but that is not al there is. We can and indeed have the right of living in a rich country and state far more.

I'm frombthe type of background you describe flag and would never consider myself, my friends and family who haven't moved from those areas to be England's underclass. They are closer to what a lot of people think of as normal, working class English people. Most pretty happy in their lot. There is an underclass in the UK but they aren't the working class living in decent estates.

But people do don't they? Because they will never lose they are told, They forget that interest rates are at an all time low and don't think what will happen should they go up 3%. they think oh my house has gone up $200k lets remortgage and buy a boat and a holiday. Oz has higher debt per household than UK and US ever did but hey i am sure it will be fine the sun shines and wages are high here..................

People would be fools if they did any of the things you mention col. If they believed the real estate people in the UK or here that tell you you can't lose, or mortgage your house to get a boat you can't afford then more fool them.I guess there will always be people who expect something for nothing but most soon learn differently. I don't know one person who would dream of mortgaging their house to buy a boat on a whim. The people we hang around with are as careful with their money as those we knew in the UK.

P

So you agree that your children should have a lifetime of debt ahead to not live at home until they are 50 or in an undesirable area?

No and I don't expect they will have a mortgage or starting life much different to ours. I expect they will buy something that they can afford, in a decent area.not expect to buy a 4x2 a stones throw from the beach for their first house. It's just common sense and new houses are still being built and sold in massive numbers.

The last 3 months, at least, has been like paradise for me. I love this weather, that's what we came here for.

It's been great hasn't it?

Bit cold on occasion, but at least I can leave the jackets in the wardrobe, and know it'll be a nice day out.

But it has told me I need to modify the car a little to assist in cooling. A big v8, Barbagallo raceway, 36 degrees, and 2 ton of car gets the brakes nice and warm.

It's been great hasn't it?

Bit cold on occasion, but at least I can leave the jackets in the wardrobe, and know it'll be a nice day out.

But it has told me I need to modify the car a little to assist in cooling. A big v8, Barbagallo raceway, 36 degrees, and 2 ton of car gets the brakes nice and warm.

Haha my husband disagrees - he's desperate for some rain!! He started football training again last month, been going to training sessions twice a week, came back last night with his hard ground boots wrecked and split already. He's going through those type of boots so quickly - another $150 to fork out, he blames the lack of rain!

The last 3 months, at least, has been like paradise for me. I love this weather, that's what we came here for. Don't think I'd like Tas one bit. Goddess job we aren't all the same.

But while the weather is a feature of life in Perth, it is hardly unique to it. Plenty of places in Europe have equally decent summer weather, with an added buzz and festivals.

Haha my husband disagrees - he's desperate for some rain!! He started football training again last month, been going to training sessions twice a week, came back last night with his hard ground boots wrecked and split already. He's going through those type of boots so quickly - another $150 to fork out, he blames the lack of rain!

Strange, my racing boots are fine.

Tell him to stop playing girly ball, and he'll be fine.

But while the weather is a feature of life in Perth, it is hardly unique to it. Plenty of places in Europe have equally decent summer weather, with an added buzz and festivals.

Nice places for a holiday, but I wouldn't want to live there.

Those are expensive boots Nic. Tell him to get down salvos or get some second hand ones. If he's expecting rain in the football season he might be disappointed.

Might surprise you flag but a lot of us are more than happy to have That and find Perth and surrounds to be everything they were looking for and expecting. Some are just happy.

Some are very content with the lights out 9pm "lifestyle", Others would deem there's a little more to live than the white picket fence,(although in decline) in suburbia. All to their own. Just allow the disgruntled a voice as well. That way so many of their kid's may not be fleeing to Melbourne. (for one) As I have stated there have been improvements. Just can't allow those that make the decisions to rest on their laurels. More work to be done.

Those are expensive boots Nic. Tell him to get down salvos or get some second hand ones. If he's expecting rain in the football season he might be disappointed.

Hmm I don't think I'll be convincing him somehow! He wants some addidas ones as they are the only one's that work with his 'style' of play.... or something.... wasn't really listening to be honest!

There's been so much happening in Perth and Freo over the last few months we've been spoilt for choice. The Perth festival has been going for a few years now so it's nothing new. There is always heaps to do in Perth and surrounds. If you're into sports events too there's been world class triathlons and adventure races held close to Perth in the last few weeks. Don't even have to travel that far.

Yes as I wrote the Festival was good. In fact such events are what we need more off. Especially during the off season in the colder months. Things that get folk out and about. Not all have an interest in sport and to foster a city with an interest in arts and culture, would be a great start.

Some are very content with the lights out 9pm "lifestyle", Others would deem there's a little more to live than the white picket fence,(although in decline) in suburbia. All to their own. Just allow the disgruntled a voice as well. That way so many of their kid's may not be fleeing to Melbourne. (for one) As I have stated there have been improvements. Just can't allow those that make the decisions to rest on their laurels. More work to be done.

I dont know anyone who would be happy with a lights out at 9pm lifestyle flag. I think it's a sweeping statement that City dwellers think happens in the suburbs. Don't know why anyone would flee to Melbourne, it's different but just another big City and the beaches, weather and traffic are nowhere near as good as here. I'm sure you're disgruntled voice and posts adds a balance to all the people that love it here.

I dont know anyone who would be happy with a lights out at 9pm lifestyle flag. I think it's a sweeping statement that City dwellers think happens in the suburbs. Don't know why anyone would flee to Melbourne, it's different but just another big City and the beaches, weather and traffic are nowhere near as good as here. I'm sure you're disgruntled voice and posts adds a balance to all the people that love it here.

Folk especially young flee to Melbourne for a host of reasons. Vibe, diversity, more happening, better opportunities for the educated. Perhaps the daily weather report isn't so significant to those and better public transport options I guess, as two I know of don't even bother with car ownership.

Folk especially young flee to Melbourne for a host of reasons. Vibe, diversity, more happening, better opportunities for the educated. Perhaps the daily weather report isn't so significant to those and better public transport options I guess, as two I know of don't even bother with car ownership.

Probably can't afford cars living in Melbourne. I love your statements about educated people moving away flag. You come across as a bit of a snob th.

Australian might have big personal dedt. Maybe that's because we have the healthiest , highest earning workforce in the world. Not uncommon for some to pay houses of in ten years instead of thirty see how good the banks here do. People need to understand what's going on in mining industry and stop reading the papers. Notice how many kiwis are now being employed in the mines after they laid of some slack Aussies last year. The kiwis will work for less. The mining companies will be back in swing in the not to distant future, they know what they are doing, and what they did is working for them. Construction being slow in Perth is laughable too. Try advertising for hired help or getting a tradie to do a job around your house. Be lucky to get a phone call . That's why wages are increasing , subbies paying more to get help. As long as China continues buying up everything we will continue doing well. Some find the negative in everything. Your in one of the healthiest economies in the world.

The UK and US banks were posting new record profits every year up until they went POP! People said the same as you in UK and US and most under 40 had never experienced a recession so believed it was never ending. It is the young people who suffer not the grey heads who bought their homes cheap in a differant era .As for China buying everything I am pretty sure they are buying less as they have large stockpiles not to mention they have built ghost cities........... But hey wages are increasing and we live in the worlds healthiest economy. Maybe a couple of years back but times are a changing. The downside of capitalism is that economies boom and bust, always have always will

The UK and US banks were posting new record profits every year up until they went POP! People said the same as you in UK and US and most under 40 had never experienced a recession so believed it was never ending. It is the young people who suffer not the grey heads who bought their homes cheap in a differant era .As for China buying everything I am pretty sure they are buying less as they have large stockpiles not to mention they have built ghost cities........... But hey wages are increasing and we live in the worlds healthiest economy. Maybe a couple of years back but times are a changing. The downside of capitalism is that economies boom and bust, always have always will

The UK and US banks were heavily invested In the worthless housing loans that the US had bundled up and given fancy names to. Luckily not a lot of Aussie banks were exposed. That made us all a bit lucky.

Agree that there will always be boom and bust wherever you live but we came here in a recession anyway. Simply because here is where we want to be and it suits us. Didn't dream that we would drop into a boom 20 years. It's not made a heap of difference to us tbh. I'm in IT and the wife is a nurse so we''ve not had the massive Paypackets of some. Not that we're complaining, it was our choice.

It's worked well for our eldest and even our youngest who has autism has ma aged to get work.

Archived