Can you study while while on a work visa in Australia?

Priyanka

Hello everyone,

I am planning to move to Australia. I am a software engineer by education from a very elite institute in India (Indian Institute of Technology Delhi) and have worked for both finance and software industry for three years in total. I want to do a part time culinary course from Australia and I can work along side (in either IT or finance). I am planning to get a part time job say maybe 4 days or something.

I wanted to know what kind of visa would suit for the part time work and would I be able to study while being on that visa? I like the option of the work visa and then study part time with it better than being on student visa and work part time (20 hrs per week).

I see that the software engineer profession is amongst one of the skillsets.

Thank you so very much,

Priyanka

• 3 weeks later...

My profession or studies is one amongst the skill sets. I think I can get the skilled independent or state sponsored visas. I guess that is done by registering on the point based system test on the immigration website. But how it works further then? I will be employed by the government or I wil be working independently on a private basis. like self employed.. ?

Thanks for the help.

You apply for a visa. If they want you they invite you to apply. Then if you get the visa you come over and you find yourself a job. If you can't find a job you don't work. You can be self employed.

You will need a skills assessment done and ielts done before you can apply.

I looked for the PR option. I can do whatever I want then with a PR. Can study or work or whatever. I need to know what are the practical timelines of getting a PR?

I will complete the EOI by say March end. Then how much time can I expect will take to get a PR?

Archived