skills assessment to get a job - necessary?

pomsuser

Hello, I got my visa already as my wife was main applicant. I did not need to have my skills assessed. However to get a job is it necessary to have skills assessed by relevant authority? Mine would need to be done by australian computer society

Hello, I got my visa already as my wife was main applicant. I did not need to have my skills assessed. However to get a job is it necessary to have skills assessed by relevant authority? Mine would need to be done by australian computer society

No requirement whatsoever for IT. I did exactly the same, had a job lined up before I left the UK.

Good question. I was wondering the same thing (I'm in IT too, have applied for partner visa).

I have been assured that no one will be asking for a skills assessment, which would be great as I could really do without the additional hassle & cost.

Get yourself an Australian email address (or at least a none UK one), an Australian mobile number (you can buy a SIM online) and ideally an address and update your CV with them.

You need to either already have a planned arrival date or be willing and able to move with a months notice of course.

Otherwise look for companies recruiting internationally - Australian companies do advertise on Jobserve and with any luck you may even get a relocation package thrown in - we did :)

Get yourself an Australian email address (or at least a none UK one), an Australian mobile number (you can buy a SIM online) and ideally an address and update your CV with them.

You need to either already have a planned arrival date or be willing and able to move with a months notice of course.

Otherwise look for companies recruiting internationally - Australian companies do advertise on Jobserve and with any luck you may even get a relocation package thrown in - we did :)

Thanks a lot for the tips! Will try to do that

Hi I lined up IT job before I left uk. I just used seek but only applied to companies directly not to adverts placed by recruitment consultant.

A few different companies interviewed me via skype one gave me two rounds of online tests. I found agencies were not interested in me being out of the country

Hi I lined up IT job before I left uk. I just used seek but only applied to companies directly not to adverts placed by recruitment consultant.

A few different companies interviewed me via skype one gave me two rounds of online tests. I found agencies were not interested in me being out of the country

That's why I didn't tell them until they'd already selectd me as the 'perfect' candidate ;)

Thanks a lot for the tips! Will try to do that

I would really take care with that approach. Potential employers will soon realise you are not actually in Australia and many will be unimpressed with a candidate that tried to deceive. Personally I would rule you out on the spot.

It is hard to get a job before you arrive. We contacted employers a few weeks before we were due to arrive and arranged meetings for the week we got there. SO having a firm arrival date will help a lot.

I agree with Rupert. I'm HR so am responsible for recruitment. Unless you have direct product/industry experience, we aren't interested in sponsoring people. If you have relevant skills/experience, we will talk with you if we know you a) already have PR status and b) have a firm arrival date. A lot of candidates will be very upfront and include their PR status on the CV since that's a typical question to ask candidates.

Archived