20 years old. no friends. won't be moving back for 1-2yrs.....

Ani

Hi Ani,

Why not tell us a little bit about yourself? Where in Australia you are and what you are doing?

Making friends was one of the hardest parts of moving to Australia for me, and I have moved many times in the UK without it being difficult. Age and circumstances come into it. Do you have the opportunity to meet people your own age day to day?

Have you used the Meetup app? That might be a good way to meet like minded people.

I'm in brisbane currently studying.

I am surprised it would be difficult to make friends with fellow students. Have you joined any university clubs or societies?

Your posts are rather brief, I wonder if when you are talking to people you are similarly reserved? When I was much younger people perceived me as 'aloof' or 'stuck-up' and believed I thought I was better than them - actually I was just painfully shy so never initiated conversations with people.

I haven't started studying this year yet, although most of the students come from here i believe. But also as i said i would like to met people who fit the description i have provided. Although it would also be nice if we had a few things in common too.

maybe don't be so precise with your "requirements"... chat to people, see what they're like. Often having nothing in common / or being very different, is what brings people together. I'm sure there will be plenty of new people to meet when you start studying, and most will be the same age as you, if they are also studying.

I always find it hard to meet new people but just talking to people about anything/everything, always seems to break the ice :)

I think once you start your course it will get a whole lot easier and maybe take a part time job too to expand your horizons, you are very likely to meet other Europeans on WHV that way.

Live in the moment though, I don't think you can plan for sustainable relationships they just happen. One of my favourite pieces about friendships is this..

Reason, Season, or LifetimePeople come into your life for a reason, a season or a lifetime.

When you figure out which one it is,

you will know what to do for each person.

When someone is in your life for a REASON,

it is usually to meet a need you have expressed.

They have come to assist you through a difficulty;

to provide you with guidance and support;

to aid you physically, emotionally or spiritually.

They may seem like a godsend, and they are.

They are there for the reason you need them to be.

Then, without any wrongdoing on your part or at an inconvenient time,

this person will say or do something to bring the relationship to an end.

Sometimes they die. Sometimes they walk away.

Sometimes they act up and force you to take a stand.

What we must realize is that our need has been met, our desire fulfilled; their work is done.

The prayer you sent up has been answered and now it is time to move on.

Some people come into your life for a SEASON,

because your turn has come to share, grow or learn.

They bring you an experience of peace or make you laugh.

They may teach you something you have never done.

They usually give you an unbelievable amount of joy.

Believe it. It is real. But only for a season.

LIFETIME relationships teach you lifetime lessons;

things you must build upon in order to have a solid emotional foundation.

Your job is to accept the lesson, love the person,

and put what you have learned to use in all other relationships and areas of your life.

It is said that love is blind but friendship is clairvoyant.

— Unknown

You really never know when and where you will meet lifetime friends & when you do geographic distance matters very little.

Easier said that done to embrace the locals. I'm not sure which country the OP is from but friendship tends to differ in complexion over there. All I can advise is tread the water carefully, be friendly but vigilant and seek out those perhaps from elsewhere, to form a bonding through being different/foreigners before trying to understand the locals which takes some time.

Easier said that done to embrace the locals. I'm not sure which country the OP is from but friendship tends to differ in complexion over there. All I can advise is tread the water carefully, be friendly but vigilant and seek out those perhaps from elsewhere, to form a bonding through being different/foreigners before trying to understand the locals which takes some time.

Students are a friendly bunch, not sure what locals you deal with.

Being friendly and making friends being very different. The OP may in be search of folk that she can form a deeper understanding/connection with than the often flakiness found here.

Is that a superiority complex I detect ? Honestly, Aussies are amongst the friendliest people in the world. If you don't try and connect then inevitably you won't make friends. Yes you can go to Australia and only meet people from your own country if that's what the OP wants.

Yes being friendly really is the be all end all isn't it? honestly i've met some really friendly people that have seemed quite nice but they turned out to hate aboriginals and maoris.

Ani if thats the case (and not all Australian's hate aboriginals and maori's lol)you either (1)Choose to ignore,blank those people out or (2)Befriend them anyway and show compassion towards them for their ignorance!I have to say though,and I'm not saying its ok to do this but....Some aussies have a different sense of humour,so...although in bad taste,they might just be messing around/joking about the aboriginals/maori's?Remember no one is perfect.I'm not saying you should'nt be selective when it comes to making friends,but everyone has their faults and unless you find the faults really offensive,then I would go for it.

Archived