Shipping costs

Lynne78

Hi guys, I know that this has been covered in previous posts, but was wondering how people went about shipping stuff home and how much it cost? I'm just trying to get my budget sorted - the sooner we save enough the sooner we can get home!

When we moved here we had a part container and won't have much more to take back. We had the guys come and pack everything and take it away. I'm quite interested in the self pack option that I've seen some people mention - partly to save money but also as I think I'll find it easier to get organised if I can pack as I go.

Any recommendations of companies in the Perth area would be appreciated!

P.S now the decision has been made to come home we (although my husband more so!) are becoming more negative about Oz by the day. Any tips on how to stop becoming seething balls of hatred while we save for our departure?!!

Hi Lynne,

We used Grace and they allowed us to self-pack (although we opted for them packing fragile items and wrapping furniture), it didn't save much money (but every bit helps!) but it was easier when we were trying to get rid of as much stuff as possible for us to pack just what we wanted to take rather than having to move the stuff we didn't want to take out of their way IYKWIM.

We also went through the negativity thing, I think it is human nature - I'm not sure whether it is to crowd out any doubts or whether it is because you live with denial about how awful it is just to cope that when it is finally nearly over you admit it! A bit of both probably - i certainly didn't admit how lonely I was until the end.

If possible I would line-up some 'chance of a life-time' things to do - even little things - that emphasise the good about Australia. I planned quite a lot but time/money meant we didn't manage to do most but we did try to 'make the most of it whilst we can'.

I've been getting quotes in this week from Perth to Cheshire. We have just a little less than a container load, quotes have ranged between $8,000 - $7,000. Grace are coming out the best so far, we are going to pack all the small stuff ourselves and let them dismantle and wrap the big stuff, this option is coming out at $6,800' but I'm haggling at the moment to try and get a better price so will let you know.

This price is groupage though, so may add a couple of weeks to the timescale, but this saves about $1000. All companies have quoted roughly and extra thousand to send it in a sole use 20 foot container.

Hi Lynne,

We used Grace and they allowed us to self-pack (although we opted for them packing fragile items and wrapping furniture), it didn't save much money (but every bit helps!) but it was easier when we were trying to get rid of as much stuff as possible for us to pack just what we wanted to take rather than having to move the stuff we didn't want to take out of their way IYKWIM.

We also went through the negativity thing, I think it is human nature - I'm not sure whether it is to crowd out any doubts or whether it is because you live with denial about how awful it is just to cope that when it is finally nearly over you admit it! A bit of both probably - i certainly didn't admit how lonely I was until the end.

If possible I would line-up some 'chance of a life-time' things to do - even little things - that emphasise the good about Australia. I planned quite a lot but time/money meant we didn't manage to do most but we did try to 'make the most of it whilst we can'.

LR, can you remember how much they charged you and were they good? Also, what does IYKWIM mean?

We too find it lonely here, although I do like it here, there are some negatives that I will never be able to live comfortably with here. We aren't sensing any kind of community feeling like you get in the UK. Although we lived in a semi rural village where everyone knows most people, or knows of them at least. I don't want to winge about Perth though as it is really beautiful, but think I just like it for holidays, living here isn't for me. Would of liked to have spent some of my retirement years here though, but that will never happen now though, as we won't even get PR let alone citizenship lol!!

Hi Emma, yes just re read what I wrote, we are getting quotes for just less than a 20ft container. We asked for quotes for both groupage and sole use. The groupage is coming up in most quotes to be $1k cheaper, but then obviously it may take a bit longer few weeks max is what they have all said.

Will keep you posted. Missing good old Cheshire, can't wait to get back to my old haunts .......

LR, can you remember how much they charged you and were they good? Also, what does IYKWIM mean?

We too find it lonely here, although I do like it here, there are some negatives that I will never be able to live comfortably with here. We aren't sensing any kind of community feeling like you get in the UK. Although we lived in a semi rural village where everyone knows most people, or knows of them at least. I don't want to winge about Perth though as it is really beautiful, but think I just like it for holidays, living here isn't for me. Would of liked to have spent some of my retirement years here though, but that will never happen now though, as we won't even get PR let alone citizenship lol!!

We were VERY happy with Grace, we had a 20ft sole use container and the guys that loaded it were brilliant - squeezed in far more than we were quoted for (& no extra cost) - it was $6444.42 - had to find the invoice!

If you know what I mean - IYKWIM - I spend too much time online :)

I haven't read you previous posts but it doesn't look like you have spent very long in Perth - where are you living? Most of the new suburbs are pretty soulless IMHO but it's not the same everywhere - South Fremantle certainly has a community feel and in the Perth Hills too. It does take time to get connected and it is more likely through school or surf life-saving or clubs/hobbies/interests maybe than the neighbourhood. I have to be honest though even having all those connections I still felt lonely as I had a great community but no real friends and that was after 5 years.

We were VERY happy with Grace, we had a 20ft sole use container and the guys that loaded it were brilliant - squeezed in far more than we were quoted for (& no extra cost) - it was $6444.42 - had to find the invoice!

If you know what I mean - IYKWIM - I spend too much time online :)

I haven't read you previous posts but it doesn't look like you have spent very long in Perth - where are you living? Most of the new suburbs are pretty soulless IMHO but it's not the same everywhere - South Fremantle certainly has a community feel and in the Perth Hills too. It does take time to get connected and it is more likely through school or surf life-saving or clubs/hobbies/interests maybe than the neighbourhood. I have to be honest though even having all those connections I still felt lonely as I had a great community but no real friends and that was after 5 years.

Thanks for the reply LR, that's good to know you had a positive experience with Grace. We've been quoted more than that for less than a 20ft going groupage, but it's still the cheapest quote so far, so think we will use them anyway, no other option.

No we have only been here 9 months, but situations get complicated really. We aren't as well off financially here, early days I know, but we are struggling with the money we earn and tbh the only way we are surviving here is to use money we still have in the UK. We aren't by any means flash with the cash.

Also, we have an unhappy teenager too. She's found it hard making friends, she has plenty in school, but none really want to have anything to do with her out of school. To us life is too short for any of us to be unhappy. We had a great life in the UK, we came here for an adventure and a new challenge really, but for us it's not paid off. My daughter is 14 on Friday, so schooling wise we have to decide on staying here for the next 7 years until my son finishes his schooling, or quit whilst we are ahead and can afford to go back with the savings we have. She will be going into year 10 this September.

I know now we haven't given it long enough, but think we realise we have made a mistake and think we should just get on with it and move back.

If it was just my and my husband, it would be totally different and we would stay for a few years before we contemplated moving back, but we are putting the kids first tbh.

We wish we had just kept Oz as a holiday destination, although I do love the place and really regret not seeing more of OZ, we will be back ......... Just not to live.

Ok, stereotypical girl when it comes to weights and measures! How much can you fit in a 20ft container? We don't mind not having our own - had part container load on the way over and will have same amount (or less going back).

Also, Taylors4, we have given it 3 years (said we'll give it up to 18 months more to save before we leave but I really don't want to stay that much longer) and I wish we'd kept it a holiday destination rather than moving here. Although, in other ways I don't regret it....decisions decisions, eh?!!

Ok, stereotypical girl when it comes to weights and measures! How much can you fit in a 20ft container? We don't mind not having our own - had part container load on the way over and will have same amount (or less going back).

Also, Taylors4, we have given it 3 years (said we'll give it up to 18 months more to save before we leave but I really don't want to stay that much longer) and I wish we'd kept it a holiday destination rather than moving here. Although, in other ways I don't regret it....decisions decisions, eh?!!

Hi Lynne, we don't regret it either in a funny sort of way, and we will be back. I travelled the length and breadth of Australia when I was 21, so know a bit of what is here in Oz to see, it truly is an amazing country, and just wish I could of shown my kids a bit more whilst we were here, oh well. It's with a heavy heart we leave here, but knowing one day we will come back and enjoy it has a holiday.

just very roughly, we are only a little short of filling a 20ft, so here goes

2 x 2 seater leather sofas

1 x 2 seater sofa

1 x 3 seater sofa

nest of 3 side tables

1 buffet cabinet

1 table

10 chairs

2 large drawer sets

1 bed

camping equipment

3 bikes

4 boxes of photos

about 6 boxes of kids toys etc

4 tvs

2 tv cabinets

4 smaller bedroom cupboards, tall boy

tools about 3 boxes

very large esky

couple of boxes of clothes, prob suitcase size

2 boxes of shoes

iron

all kitchen stuff, pots pans, glassware, pottery cake tins etc

Think that's about it - gives you an idea, hope this helps!

We are going groupage though as we don't have enough to fill a 20ft, so ours is less than a container load, can't believe they want $6750!!!

Oh wow, we paid less than that for a full 20ft container, around $6400!

Oh wow, we paid less than that for a full 20ft container, around $6400!

I know, this is what's doing my head in. We are in Cheshire, so half an hour south of Manchester, so not as far as yourself in road freight. Of all the quotes so far this is the cheapest, can't believe it. Was it about 6 months ago you sent your container? Only thing I can think of is that the £ is getting stronger, so may have a bit of an impact, but they wanted $7,500 for a sole use 20ft container. Think I'm going to get more quotes in, but running out of time, only 3 weeks to go!!

I know, this is what's doing my head in. We are in Cheshire, so half an hour south of Manchester, so not as far as yourself in road freight. Of all the quotes so far this is the cheapest, can't believe it. Was it about 6 months ago you sent your container? Only thing I can think of is that the £ is getting stronger, so may have a bit of an impact, but they wanted $7,500 for a sole use 20ft container. Think I'm going to get more quotes in, but running out of time, only 3 weeks to go!!

It was 6 months ago - the container arrived in Grangemouth, about 3 miles from our house so a shorter journey road freight wise. We did pack boxes ourselves - although Grace packed fragile items, wrapped furniture etc.

We had multiple quotes and played off one against the other until we got the lowest price from our preferred company.

Our price did not include insurance, it's much cheaper to get that from a broker.