Uk tax return

lozzachino

Havent seen this before. We aren't claiming a personal allowance in the uk as we have no earnings in the current tax year besides one month salary for my husband. Our rental property is running at a major loss this year and we have no chance of actually earning an income from it until we sell it.

i looked at the help page for how to fill the form in, it was 24 pages long! They dont like to make things simple do they!

Havent seen this before. We aren't claiming a personal allowance in the uk as we have no earnings in the current tax year besides one month salary for my husband. Our rental property is running at a major loss this year and we have no chance of actually earning an income from it until we sell it.

i looked at the help page for how to fill the form in, it was 24 pages long! They dont like to make things simple do they!

I hope I'm doing my UK tax return properly every year. I fill it in on line (by 31 January so beat it by two days for 2012/13.) I guess if it is too complicated to do it yourself, then find an accountant?

We do the online self assessment as requested by hmrc after we notified them we were emigrating via the non resident landlord form. They requested i do two years of self assessment rerturns, and my husband was requested to only do 2012/13, all of which have been done submitted and i even got a refund from two years ago, a whole 12 quid!

not come across this form before, so wondering if its because they dont want us to know we can still claim a personal allowance? Can we? Didnt think we could if we did not live or work there for any part of the year?

The UK personal allowance is available to UK citizens - as well as Australian citizens - even if not resident in the UK.

Lodging this supplement advises HMRC of your non-UK residency status. If it isn't completed I anticipate the assumption on HMRC's part is that you are a UK resident, which can give rise to a different tax treatment of your income and capital gains.

My view is that the SA109 should be lodged by anyone who is a non-UK resident individual who has a Self Assessment tax return to lodge. It removes any ambiguity about how you consider yourself in a UK tax residency sense.

Best regards.

Archived