New toowoomba bypass

Tina2

There are a LOT of very happy people in Toowoomba tonight, after year of asking almost begging the green light has been given for the by pass to happen. Apart from the saving on time and calming Toowoomba Central this will save so many lives. Toowoomba for those who are not aware is up on the darling downs 2 1/2 hours from Brisbane. Good retail, great medical, fantastic schools but for years it has been held back by 2 things. A decent airport and the longed for By pass. The New Well Camp Airport opens late this year and now the by pass is due to start construction in 2015. http://www.fullyloaded.com.au/news/industry/1401/toowoomba-second-range-crossing-given-green-light

:yes:

opps sorry should be in the other NEWS mods not sure how to move it or delete it

I heard about this on the news today, it will be a great thing to do and should reduce traffic accident numbers up that way.

Cal x

Yep have property up there and i can hear my bank balance growing :laugh:

Have you looked at the Well Camp airport sight what an amazing thing the wagners are doing. New airport in 2 years start to finish with an international size runway

Have you looked at the Well Camp airport sight what an amazing thing the wagners are doing. New airport in 2 years start to finish with an international size runway

Toowoomba, one very nice town and I think it was reported hereabouts re the airport.

All good news.

Cheers, Bobj.

Yes, great that Brisbane has the new Brisbane West Wellcamp Airport :)

Yes, great that Brisbane has the new Brisbane West Wellcamp Airport :)

Name is a bit confusing though. Will be so good for the growing western suburbs of Brisbane as well as Warwick and Ipswich. Quicker now that Brisbane Airport and parking will be a whole lot cheaper. Watch real estate prices grow with such good access to the Surat Basin. I love the fact the Wagners looked at "noise" and positioned the runway to reduce noise to the absolute minimum.

There is a huge bussiness park going in next to the airport also being build by the wagners. Think of the money companies can save being able to fly goods in and out almost next door.

Who would have thought that Toowoomba would grow so much?

First time I drove through T, the town ended quite abruptly at Stenner St where the Caltex petrol station is. Land was selling at, I think, $250 a house block.

Cheers, Bobj.

Who would have thought that Toowoomba would grow so much?

First time I drove through T, the town ended quite abruptly at Stenner St where the Caltex petrol station is. Land was selling at, I think, $250 a house block.

Cheers, Bobj.

:laugh: My kids were born in Toowoomba 30 odd years ago, 10 minuets from Ruthven Street was like the wild west. Places like Meringandan and Meringandan West are considered by many at 15 minuets from the center of the city not worth looking at - watch those suburbs take off now. The council have just approved plans for "street scaping" for those suburbs and Highfields, so major roads leading out to those suburbs will be lined with big trees and suburb signs, but Meringandan and Meringandan west will not be allowed "tiny" blocks of land" so the 1/2 and 1 acre blocks will keep that rural feel. So close to the freeway - that means price increases in real estate. We lived in Woodend - beautiful place, an hour from Melbourne on 4 acres, people told us we were "mad" to build "so far out" they stopped laughing when we doubled our money in 3 years. Now we could never hope to afford to buy back in to Woodend.

[video=youtube_share;vU35Y5-ivfs]

Oh gee when i look at that i get "really" excited. Yes i know people who dont know the area will think "its just a by pass" but we have waited "so long" and seen so many "killed" on the range and sat in the car for hours stuck in traffic jams when a prang happens, yes there is the back route but that is almost as bad narrow and winding and not suitable for the big semi's.

Always liked Highfields and Cabarlah...but hated going down the range in fog or icy weather...

My fav was the glorious jacarandas along Ruthven St. thumbs.gif

Cheers, Bobj.

There was a suggestion that the council re do the city landscaping with CACTUS :chatterbox: in the drought, lets say the locals were NOT impressed. Love the carnival of flowers in September, Queens Park in Autumn, as you say a lovely city.

couldnt agree more Highfields is fab we love it here and are going to build here this year, there are 2 high schools being built this year too its growing very fast, wish they'd sort out the train though that would be faster to get to brissie as to drive it a 1 hour 50 mins! The south of toowoomba is growing too Kearney springs the houses are flying up!

couldnt agree more Highfields is fab we love it here and are going to build here this year, there are 2 high schools being built this year too its growing very fast, wish they'd sort out the train though that would be faster to get to brissie as to drive it a 1 hour 50 mins! The south of toowoomba is growing too Kearney springs the houses are flying up!

Hi, where are the new high schools going in ? Yes we bought at Meringandan West as it was less expencive. Bought a 15 year old place and have done a lot of work on the inside and now the front gardens. Good size house of 20 squares but add the 4 car carport build at the front as part of the house and verandah it comes in at 38 square under room. Got it at a good price. We tend to do that buy cheap fix up and sell in a high market, but this we will probably retire to as we love Toowoomba. Other option is Tassie but with Family in Qld it makes it hard to move and leave them behind.

The Higfields state school wil be off polzin road and mary mckillop next to the primary school site on highfields road, we have just got a new aldi at the corner of Griffith street and new england highway so saves a trip going into town :) My sons friend has just had a new home built in meringandan we go to he butchers down there thats really growing too lovely area :)

The Higfields state school wil be off polzin road and mary mckillop next to the primary school site on highfields road, we have just got a new aldi at the corner of Griffith street and new england highway so saves a trip going into town :) My sons friend has just had a new home built in meringandan we go to he butchers down there thats really growing too lovely area :)

Thanks Libby hard to keep on things happening from down here. Cant find a griffith street or an aldi store on the aldi web site. I guess the children from out Meringandan will go to the new Highfields High School

Thanks Libby hard to keep on things happening from down here. Cant find a griffith street or an aldi store on the aldi web site. I guess the children from out Meringandan will go to the new Highfields High School

Here you go Tina:

https://maps.google.com.au/maps?q=corner+griffith+st+and+new+england+highway+toowoomba&hl=en&sll=-27.528928,151.957741&sspn=0.010856,0.020878&hnear=New+England+Hwy+%26+Griffiths+St,+Harlaxton+Queensland+4350&t=m&z=17

AHH I know where that is ! Thanks Libby i am a Aldi convert for a fair few things, cheaper and in most cases better than the big two, but then i lived in Germany for some years and loved the food there so Aldi being Germany makes sense i would like what they sell.

Ahhhhh Toowoomba, it's lovely:

Queen's Park (CBD Park - 1875)

queenspark1313414by5.jpg

(Source: Thanks to isoboy on SSC)

Toowoomba has lots of lovely tree lines streets like this:

IMG_1793.jpg

And streets full of character homes:

986842-cm-life-tooowoomba-russell-st.jpg

Just outside Toowoomba:

222springbluffbytannykibp5.jpg

(Source: tannykid@Flickr)

Oh now come on Fish thats not fair, we are stuck in this God forsaken town down south were the current temperature is 44.8 and "climbing" How i miss all the parks and big trees.

I thought everywhere in Australia had parks and trees...where are you :eek: it's 25c in Toowoomba atm...just saying :)

Bypass Fast facts

- Three highways converge in Toowoomba - the Warrego, the Gore and the New England;

- There is $30 billion in mining industry expansion of the nearby Surat Basin;

- 27,000 vehicles a day use the existing, steep Toowoomba Crossing up the Dividing Range

- Around 3000 of these are heavy vehicles.

- Estimated to save between 30 and 40 minutes from a journey through Toowoomba.

Read more: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/toowoomba-bypass-worth-25-a-trip-say-truckies-20140131-31rm4.html#ixzz2s30x1eLj

Archived