Qualifications - Heeeeeeelllllppppppp !!!!!!!!!!

Robbouk

Hi All

I need help, struggling to make the 60 points for a Visa 489, I can get to the pass mark if my qualifications count, but its nearly impossible to find out what the equivalent is according to this process.

The qualification in question is a BTEC First Diploma in Business & Finance (this was gained in the late 1980's).

Does anyone know what that means to this process or point me in the direction where I can find out?

Robbo

I'm in a similar boat. I've got a BTEC National Diploma in Computer Studies (from mid 90's).

I've search through many websites to find out if it's good enough, some people say yes, others no. I get the feeling it might be a "no".

I have put it in anyway for my skills assessment (ACS), if it's not good enough then i'll have to go down the RPL route and for a 190 visa.

Contact the authority who assesses skills in your area, they are the only people who can tell you for sure. This will probably mean paying something but it's the only sure way to get the right answer.

Hope all goes ok :)

Hi

Thanks you replying. I put mine through to the Australian Computer Society for the Skills Assessment (to get my pigeon hole). They have said that it doesn’t qualify as part of a professional qualification, which I agree, as my profession is ICT. I really want to use them to gain the extra 10 points I need in ‘education overseas’ section of the EOI

Paul

I'm in a similar boat. I've got a BTEC National Diploma in Computer Studies (from mid 90's).

I've search through many websites to find out if it's good enough, some people say yes, others no. I get the feeling it might be a "no".

I have put it in anyway for my skills assessment (ACS), if it's not good enough then i'll have to go down the RPL route and for a 190 visa.

Contact the authority who assesses skills in your area, they are the only people who can tell you for sure. This will probably mean paying something but it's the only sure way to get the right answer.

Hope all goes ok :)

The BTEC National Diploma equates to a AQF Cerificate V....1 qualification lower than the AQF Diploma. I only had a BTEC National and so upped my qualification through RPL. I needed to do this to satisfy Vetassess. If your occupation requires a AQF Diploma, you will fail the vetassess if you only have a BTEC National Diploma. An AQF Diploma is equivalent to a HND/HNC. I agree the info is quite hard to find out took me a while.

Claire

The BTEC National Diploma equates to a AQF Cerificate V....1 qualification lower than the AQF Diploma. I only had a BTEC National and so upped my qualification through RPL. I needed to do this to satisfy Vetassess. If your occupation requires a AQF Diploma, you will fail the vetassess if you only have a BTEC National Diploma. An AQF Diploma is equivalent to a HND/HNC. I agree the info is quite hard to find out took me a while.

Claire

Hi Claire

Is that official that the BTEC National Diploma is a AQF Certificate V? and will the RPL up qualifications?

Paul

Hi Claire

Is that official that the BTEC National Diploma is a AQF Certificate V? and will the RPL up qualifications?

Paul

Hi Paul,

Yes that is correct. The BTEC National Diploma is NOT equivalent to the AQF Diploma, I too thought it would be but unfortunately not!! I did a AQF Diploma in management through RPL with a company in Tasmania...Academy3. No problem with Vetassess who classed the qualification as highly relevant.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do

Claire

A BTEC national diploma is equivalent to A Level standard. An HND/HNC is Equivalent to Advanced Diploma. I got a positive VETASSESS with an HND and got 10 points. Hope this helps

Also O levels etc are school qualifications and I don't believe they count towards skills assessments. But I may be wrong.

Edited by Mxmanus

Looks like I may have to go via the RPL route.

I wonder if I can get a vendor qualification (e.g. Microsoft Certified Solutions Developer) after a successful ACS skills assessment, and use that to gain an extra 10 points from DIBP, as that would not be used as part of the skills assessment...