Are there any jobs for Plumbers without Australian experience?

Downunders

Hi there, this is my first post so go easy on me , i'm only a newbie.

Me and my wife are still in the deciding stage of whether to uproot us and our 2 little ones to Australia.

We've been thinking about it for a while and now need to make a decision, but the only problem my wife has read about is that it can be almost impossible to get a job without Australian work experience.

I've got about 8 years experience and have been running my own company since 2009 so feel pretty established. I understand that I'd have to go through the VETASSESS process and that once completed and visas granted i'd only get a provisional licence to work for 12 months. What i'd like to know is what the provisional licence entails? is it that you have to be employed with a firm until you have completed the further plumbing exams?

But the main things is whether someone with my experience could even get a job with a firm.

Obviously I don't want to spend a small fortune on visas and assessments if I cant get a job when I get there.

Any comments would be much appreciated.:unsure:

Hi and welcome to PIO.

I cant say i agree that its almost impossible to get work without Aussie experience as millions of migrants have got work without Australian experience. In some professions and from reading on here it has happened to some but not everyone, some trades actually like and prefer to take on uk migrants, so i would be keeping an open mind on the job front for now.

Plumbers and Electricians do seem to have lots of hoops to jump through to get their State licences. What to do to get your licence, does vary from State to State so without knowing where your heading its hard to say exactly. This link is for QLD and should answer a lot of your questions - http://www.hpw.qld.gov.au/construction/BuildingPlumbing/Plumbing/PlumbersDrainersLicences/Pages/default.aspx

Hope this helps a bit

Cal x

Hi there, this is my first post so go easy on me , i'm only a newbie.

Me and my wife are still in the deciding stage of whether to uproot us and our 2 little ones to Australia.

We've been thinking about it for a while and now need to make a decision, but the only problem my wife has read about is that it can be almost impossible to get a job without Australian work experience.

I've got about 8 years experience and have been running my own company since 2009 so feel pretty established. I understand that I'd have to go through the VETASSESS process and that once completed and visas granted i'd only get a provisional licence to work for 12 months. What i'd like to know is what the provisional licence entails? is it that you have to be employed with a firm until you have completed the further plumbing exams?

But the main things is whether someone with my experience could even get a job with a firm.

Obviously I don't want to spend a small fortune on visas and assessments if I cant get a job when I get there

Any comments would be much appreciated.:unsure:

Hi. Its always a concern on the work front but I would be making sure I qualify for a visa first , enough points etc otherwise why worry. Check out poms in Adelaide theres some plumbing stuff on there. there is a lot of negativity about but you will only get a plumbing job in Aus when in Aus after you get your visa, no job without visa, chicken and egg iam afraid. Go for it, pr visas last for 5 years loads of time to sort things out and things change. In short You can subcontract on a prov license better to work for a company thou until you complete further training at more cost, until fully licensed work has to be signed off by a registered plumber.etc etc . Were off in a few weeks but I will not be looking for plumbing work I want something a bit easier on the body, lol . Good luck

Hi and welcome to PIO.

I cant say i agree that its almost impossible to get work without Aussie experience as millions of migrants have got work without Australian experience. In some professions and from reading on here it has happened to some but not everyone, some trades actually like and prefer to take on uk migrants, so i would be keeping an open mind on the job front for now.

Plumbers and Electricians do seem to have lots of hoops to jump through to get their State licences. What to do to get your licence, does vary from State to State so without knowing where your heading its hard to say exactly. This link is for QLD and should answer a lot of your questions - http://www.hpw.qld.gov.au/construction/BuildingPlumbing/Plumbing/PlumbersDrainersLicences/Pages/default.aspx

Hope this helps a bit

Cal x

Thanks for the link Cal, To be honest I think the wife got a little lost in the MBTTUK section so was reading quite a few negative comments and it panicked her as the the last thing we need is to uproot the kids and not find work. Think the wife would like everything to be a guarantee which obviously isn't going to happen.

Was looking at either Sydney or Brisbane areas but still not 100% sure, so many factors to consider.

its all just a bit daunting, so great to hear other peoples experiences

Hi. Its always a concern on the work front but I would be making sure I qualify for a visa first , enough points etc otherwise why worry. Check out poms in Adelaide theres some plumbing stuff on there. there is a lot of negativity about but you will only get a plumbing job in Aus when in Aus after you get your visa, no job without visa, chicken and egg iam afraid. Go for it, pr visas last for 5 years loads of time to sort things out and things change. In short You can subcontract on a prov license better to work for a company thou until you complete further training at more cost, until fully licensed work has to be signed off by a registered plumber.etc etc . Were off in a few weeks but I will not be looking for plumbing work I want something a bit easier on the body, lol . Good luck

That makes sense getting the visa first, don't imagine any employers would be interested in anyone that couldn't for possibly 18 months (or however long the process takes)

Going off the basic tests with some migration assistants we've got between 65 and 75 points depending what type of visa we go for. 65 on the PR visa, which I'd prefer to get as it sounds safer that the temporary ones.

Good luck with your move.

I have been in Adelaide 2 weeks now, started work last week after only one week here, and have had 4 other job offers too..

Not sure about plumbing jobs, I'm a metal fabricator/ sheet metal worker

Great news. Sheet metal work is an area that is in demand in Adelaide, along with some other jobs. The ability to secure work quickly can very much depend on the job you do and the supply/demand of that job, so not everyone will be as lucky.

I have only been in Sydney 2 days and I have managed to secure a plumbing job with no experience. There is so much work going on in Sydney at the moment

Please correct me if I have misunderstood (I am based in Adelaide so maybe things are different over there) but my understanding is that you need a Cert III qualification to gain the licence and you need to have a licence to undertake plumbing work. Have they taken you on while you complete this process? Are you on the apprentice wage rate?

http://www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/ftw/Tradespeople/Plumbers_and_drainers.page

http://www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/ftw/Tradespeople/Home_building_licensing/Licence_classes_and_qualifications/Plumbing_draining_and_gasfitting.page

http://www.jobguide.thegoodguides.com.au/occupation/Plumber/NSW

That makes sense getting the visa first, don't imagine any employers would be interested in anyone that couldn't for possibly 18 months (or however long the process takes)

Going off the basic tests with some migration assistants we've got between 65 and 75 points depending what type of visa we go for. 65 on the PR visa, which I'd prefer to get as it sounds safer that the temporary ones.

Good luck with your move.

Hi again, you must go for pr you wont get sponsored by a company iam 99.9% sure of that ( but never say never ) we used visa bureau. Cheers

• 2 weeks later...
I have only been in Sydney 2 days and I have managed to secure a plumbing job with no experience. There is so much work going on in Sydney at the moment

Also a gas fitter / plumber with gas and plumbing qualifications thinking of moving(houses sold just renting) what is the actual plumbers salary in sydney? And how much is your rent?

Thanks

Mike

Archived