Total panic 457 disaster

Pavlova

Having a total nightmare

I have a 457 visa which expires 10th February. I had applied for a 4 year visa and around 3 weeks ago learnt from my employer that it is in fact only a years visa (there is a complicated back story here). After spending 3 weeks being directed to different departments in order to try and get this extended I was finally told today I had to apply for an entirelly new visa. I have applied and paid for this now. Obviously I don't think that this new one will be granted in time. What do I do? Someone told me its not normally a problem if there is one processing but somehow I feel there is an expensive option I'm meant to be following? Has anyone else been in this situation???

Hi - I was told by immigration that my application for a new 457 automatically put me on a bridge when the previous 457 expired - no cost. Send them an email if you want the peace of mind in writing. There was no issue at all and you still work for the employer on a bridge and it still counts towards your two years if you're going to apply for your 186 down the line. I didn't have a MA by the way. Good luck!

You should never rely on advice from immigration. They often give incorrect advice and there have been many people found themselves in serious problems as a result. They have no responsibility for incorrect advice.

I suggest you contact a registered migration agent.

Hi Pavlova,

You can't just apply for a new 457, you have to be nominated again by the sponsoring company. Also the regulations have changed significantly since last year so there's a lot of additional criteria that needs to be met. Saying that there is a complicated back story, having a visa expiry date within the next couple of weeks and being unsure about the process is not an ideal situation. Yes applying for a new 457 onshore will give you a bridging visa that comes into effect when your existing 457 expires, but your post suggests that some professional guidance would be wise.

All the best,

Hi Pavlova,

You can't just apply for a new 457, you have to be nominated again by the sponsoring company. Also the regulations have changed significantly since last year so there's a lot of additional criteria that needs to be met. Saying that there is a complicated back story, having a visa expiry date within the next couple of weeks and being unsure about the process is not an ideal situation. Yes applying for a new 457 onshore will give you a bridging visa that comes into effect when your existing 457 expires, but your post suggests that some professional guidance would be wise.

All the best,

Surely he wouldn't have been able to apply and pay for a 457 without an employer nomination? My employer sent my application in with theirs last year

You can apply for the 457 without a nomination being lodged, though I wouldn't recommend it. All you need is the SBS TRN or approval number. However, a decision won't be made on the application without the nomination being decided first.

As it wasn't mentioned on the original post it makes me wonder if a nomination has been made.

Archived