how long does the invitation to lodge a Skilled 189 visa application last?

kirksummers

hello all

how long does the invitation to lodge a Skilled - Independent (Subclass 189) (Permanent) visa application last???

as we was hoping to move this year but due to a few reasons it is going to be more like 3 years, will the invitation still be valid then? or will i have to re-apply?

thankyou for any help on this

regards, kirk summers

If you are invited to apply for a visa, and receive an invitation from SkillSelect, you then have 60 days to make a valid visa application online, before the invitation expires. Applications received outside this timeframe will be invalid.

The immigration rules, requirements (and costs) are changing constantly and you may not be able to get an invitation at some future time. Your occupation could be removed from the SOL or the points test may change in a way that disadvantages you or you may get some medical condition that will exclude you or...

Given that a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush and you have an invitation in hand, why not apply for the visa now and when/if you get it, come to Australia for a short holiday to validate it and then return to your home country until you're ready to make the final move. You have until 5 years after the visa grant date to make the move.

really appreciate that advice, its got me thinking totally different about my whole situation and i am going to try and do what you have suggested ozmaniac

does it not matter how long i am out of the country after validating to near the 5 years? i thought i had to be in the country mainly and working in the country in those 5 years?

thankyou, kirk

Once you've visited Australia to validate your permanent visa, you could leave and stay out of the country until literally the day (Australian Point of Entry time) before your visa validity date which will be 5 years from the date of grant. Your visa doesn't actually expire but your right to enter Australia on it does.

If you're in the country when the 5 years comes around, you can stay forever without doing anything even if you were away for nearly all of the 5 years. If you're out of the country when the 5 years comes about or if after that date, you want to leave Australia and re-enter the country, you can only do so if you have a Resident Return visa and that's where the need to have spent time in Australia comes into the picture.

If you have spent at least 2 out of the previous 5 years in Australia on your 189, you will have no trouble getting a 5 year RRV which resets your right of return for another 5 years - spending 2 years out of the previous 5 is the only way to get a 5 year RRV. If you've spent less than 2 years out of the previous 5 in the country, then you must meet certain conditions to get a 1 year or 3 month RRV. Read "Who could get this visa?' under Visa Applicants on the following to see the conditions for the shorter RRVs:

http://www.immi.gov.au/Visas/Pages/155-157.aspx

brilliant!!! thankyou so much for all this info ozmaniac!!!

last couple of questions i promise...........

1. once i have been granted my 189 visa, how long do i have to go over to oz to validate the visa?

2. the 189 visa is going to cost me around £4000, do i have to pay the full amount on application of the visa?

thanks again for all the info....i really appreciate it!!!

regards, kirk

1. once i have been granted my 189 visa, how long do i have to go over to oz to validate the visa?

The visa will have an initial entry by date. That date will be 12 months after the date of your police check or medicals, whichever is the earlier. You will need to enter Australia by that date to validate the visa.

brilliant!!! thankyou so much for all this info ozmaniac!!!

last couple of questions i promise...........

2. the 189 visa is going to cost me around £4000, do i have to pay the full amount on application of the visa?

thanks again for all the info....i really appreciate it!!!

regards, kirk

1. You will have to enter Australia to validate you visa by the Last Entry Date which will be 12 months from the date of your earliest medical or PCC i.e. it will be less than 12 months from the visa grant date. You only need to pass through immigration to validate the visa - you could turn around and catch the next plane out if you're short of time.

2. You have to pay the full Visa Application Charge when you lodge your visa application.

haha yes i admit it would be a bit of a killer to turn around and fly back straight away, we would have a family holiday though if we was to do ozmaniacz's suggestion!

if i wasnt to accept this invitation of 189 visa at the minute and re-apply in a couple of years, does it go against you when you re-apply because i have already had an invitation that i didnt take up???

thanks, kirk

It wouldn't go against you but keep in mind that there is simply no guarantee that you will still be eligible for a visa a couple of years down the track. I've seen dozens of posts on here and in other places from people who have delayed starting the process only to find that their occupation had been removed from the SOL or that the points test had changed or something else changed only to find that they were no longer able to meet the visa requirements by the time they felt ready to make the move.

Archived