Visa 461 NZ family

waterbaby76

Hi all,

my children both hold NZ passports and from what I can see under this visa NZ Citizen family relationship I would be able to move to OZ as they are aged 8 and 6.

Is anyone able to comment on the pro's and con's of the 461 visa please?

I could wait another year and come under the skilled migrant but want to put roots down sooner. Any comments would be appreciated, thanks - Too excited :biggrin:

S

Guest Ryan the wizard of oz
Hi all,

my children both hold NZ passports and from what I can see under this visa NZ Citizen family relationship I would be able to move to OZ as they are aged 8 and 6.

Is anyone able to comment on the pro's and con's of the 461 visa please?

I could wait another year and come under the skilled migrant but want to put roots down sooner. Any comments would be appreciated, thanks - Too excited :biggrin:

S

Good evening Water Baby,

If your children hold NZ passports i'm assuming your wife is NZ citizen?

The reason I ask is there is no mention of a parent of a NZ citizen being able to qualify for the 461 however the partner of a NZ citizen can. This visa would allow you to live and work in Australia for 5 years and I would advise that during that time you apply for PR.

Kind regards

Based on the eligibility criteria, I think you only qualify as a parent of a NZ citizen if you are dependent on them.

"You must be related to the New Zealand citizen as either:

• their partner
  • their (or their partner's) dependent child
  • the dependent child of their (or their partner's) dependent child
  • their (or their partner's) relative who:
    • does not have a partner
    • usually lives in the New Zealand citizen’s household
    • is dependent on the New Zealand citizen."

As far as pros and cons, the 461 is a temporary visa so you'd have to apply for another visa (or new 461) after 5 years. So a skilled migrant visa would provide you permanent residency.

Based on the eligibility criteria, I think you only qualify as a parent of a NZ citizen if you are dependent on them.

"You must be related to the New Zealand citizen as either:

• their partner

• their (or their partner's) dependent child

• the dependent child of their (or their partner's) dependent child

• their (or their partner's) relative who:

• does not have a partner

• usually lives in the New Zealand citizen’s household

• is dependent on the New Zealand citizen."

As far as pros and cons, the 461 is a temporary visa so you'd have to apply for another visa (or new 461) after 5 years. So a skilled migrant visa would provide you permanent residency.

Thank you Maggie. As the children reside with me on a permanent basis I believe as you quoted I would rightly be eligable. Thank you for answering the question I raised which was not if I would be eligable for that visa (sorry folks but thanks anyway) but what is the pros and cons compared to the skilled migrant.

If I applied and was successful maybe I could apply for the skilled migrant the following year or is there a time limit whereby I couldn't apply for two yes eg? How do employers view the 461, any ideas please?

thanks all for contributing :))

Good evening Water Baby,

If your children hold NZ passports i'm assuming your wife is NZ citizen?

The reason I ask is there is no mention of a parent of a NZ citizen being able to qualify for the 461 however the partner of a NZ citizen can. This visa would allow you to live and work in Australia for 5 years and I would advise that during that time you apply for PR.

Kind regards

Hi Ryan,

Thanks for your input. (I'm the female lol) My ex husband moved back to NZ and remarried. On that basis, do you think it would still be possible to apply as the partner (albeit ex) of a NZ citizen? We were married for 7 years and living in NZ for 2 (I do have a resident visa which I could extend to be permanent).

There doesn't seem to be many conditions on the 461, as with the skilled migrant you need to be employed in the category you applied under whereas the 461 I could do "anything to make ends meet"? Does that sound right to you?

Thanks

S

I interpret the criteria of the 461 eligibility as you need to be dependent on your children, meaning you'd have to provide evidence that they fully support you. So you should double-check whether you qualify. Sorry, I realise this isn't what you were originally asking about, but since you mentioned your children being the NZ citizens, I wondered if they were able to act as your sponsors.

As for the skilled migrant visas, as far as I know you can work in any occupation but you need to be qualified in the one you apply under. So for example, if you applied and were granted a visa based on being a qualified Accountant or Software Developer, you could arrive and take a job working as a waitress. With some visas you definitely need to work in your specified occupation (e.g. 457 visa) but I don't believe that's the case with other visas such as 189, 190, etc.

Archived