Getting PR as quickly as possible after marriage

Bridetobe2014

Hi

i am currently waiting on a subclass 300 (PMV) to come through. I expect to be married in December and to go onto a temporary spouse visa then.

I understand that PR is usually granted 2 years after marriage (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong!). I am just wondering if there is there any way to speed this up? We will be together 3 years in March next year and it is my understanding that if we were to apply for a spouse visa after the 3 year mark I would automatically get PR... Unfortunately we won't be able to wait until the March to apply as my PMV will have expired after 9 months (probably in January).

It just seems unfair that because I can't wait to apply for the spouse visa (with PR) until March, I then have to wait two years to get it...

Would love to get some opinions on it. It's particularly important for me to have PR ASAP because of the job I do...

thanks

Hi

i am currently waiting on a subclass 300 (PMV) to come through. I expect to be married in December and to go onto a temporary spouse visa then.

I understand that PR is usually granted 2 years after marriage (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong!). I am just wondering if there is there any way to speed this up? We will be together 3 years in March next year and it is my understanding that if we were to apply for a spouse visa after the 3 year mark I would automatically get PR... Unfortunately we won't be able to wait until the March to apply as my PMV will have expired after 9 months (probably in January).

It just seems unfair that because I can't wait to apply for the spouse visa (with PR) until March, I then have to wait two years to get it...

Would love to get some opinions on it. It's particularly important for me to have PR ASAP because of the job I do...

thanks

It looks as if you have not gone about things in a less than optimal manner.

May I suggest that you consult a registered migration agent to ascertain whether it is realistic for you to adopt a better strategy?

Why did you chose the PMV if you had been together for 3 years - did you not have 12 months of defacto evidence.

You get assessed for the PR vise 2 years after the Partner visa was lodged. It is not automatic that you will get PR partner visa if you have been in a relationship for 3 years - it says they will assess you for the PR visa if you have need together for 3 years.

If you needed PR due to your job there would have been better visas than the PMV.

If you were applying for a PMV, this was presumably because you were living overseas and your fiance was living in Australia. If that is the case, it would be difficult to make the case for having been together for 3 years anyway.

I presume the employment issue is that your employer is reluctant to give you an ongoing job until you have an ongoing visa. This is a pain, but it is not going to persuade anyone to waive or speed up the process. It is also unlikely to mean that they could/would sponsor you for skilled migration. You might persuade an employer that a temporary partner visa does not have an end date and is indefinite, therefore should not cause them to have to end-date your employment. You might also persuade an employer to allow you an ongoing job subject to your providing updated visa notifications in a timely fashion. However, they don't want to get caught employing someone who loses their right to work and doesn't tell the employer - it would be an expensive mistake for them to make.

Archived