How much should you cost to register an NSW car in ACT costing $12000?

Maggie2012

After having bad luck with cars in Canberra, we are looking to get another one in NSW. We looking at a car that is $12000 Nissan Xterra. A friend of ours said it would cost roughly $1500. Holy Cow even if it includes CTPI, is it true?

You pay stamp duty on cars when you bring them between states. http://www.revenue.act.gov.au/duties-and-taxes/calculators/motor-vehicle-registration-duty-calculator

After having bad luck with cars in Canberra, we are looking to get another one in NSW. We looking at a car that is $12000 Nissan Xterra. A friend of ours said it would cost roughly $1500. Holy Cow even if it includes CTPI, is it true?

Bad luck how exactly?

Bad luck as 2 cars died on us and a reputable dealer on one of them answered our warranty claim as "sue me". Anyhow, distant friend of us has this X-Trail up for sale in NSW. Still doesn't add up. Stamp duty would be only $360 so where does that $1500 quote comes from? Looked at the sites for AXT rego still cannot figure it out.... Some hidden charges ? quiet hefty though...

Bad luck as 2 cars died on us and a reputable dealer on one of them answered our warranty claim as "sue me". Anyhow, distant friend of us has this X-Trail up for sale in NSW. Still doesn't add up. Stamp duty would be only $360 so where does that $1500 quote comes from? Looked at the sites for AXT rego still cannot figure it out.... Some hidden charges ? quiet hefty though...

Who is quoting you $1500? Both times I've moved a car interstate, I had to go to Canberra Connect with all the docs myself..

Bad luck as 2 cars died on us and a reputable dealer on one of them answered our warranty claim as "sue me".

If you have a warranty which hasn't been honoured you need to go to the ACT Office of Fair Trading.

And have a vehicle inspected by your local motoring body before buying a second hand car.

Which reputable dealer as the vehicle warranty is mandated by the govt. Something here doesn't gel.....

Get an NRMA inspection before buying anything from anybody, no different than buying a vehicle anywhere else.

Yup, cant beat the NRMA unless you have a pet mechanic that you would trust with your life.

I'd second the Fair Trading follow up - dealers are obliged to offer a 3 month warranty IIRC (unless of course you do something stupid like run it into a brick wall) and they should honour that.

Archived