Townsville/cairns road trip

Eng32

Hi all,

My family and I are doing a road trip from Central Queensland to Cairns/port Douglas. We only have two weeks and want to stop off on the way there and back to break up the journey. But the main reason for post ing is to find suggestions for campsites at Townsville and Cairns possibly Daintree if we make it that far. We will be tenting and using cabins on a few night to make life a bit more comfy. Also best things to do in Townsville/Cairns while were there? As we are only stopping a few days at each location. We have a 4x4 Pajero but don't want to do heavy off roading. Light to medium is fine though.

Any and all help would be great...thanks in advance :wubclub:

Hi all,

My family and I are doing a road trip from Central Queensland to Cairns/port Douglas. We only have two weeks and want to stop off on the way there and back to break up the journey. But the main reason for post ing is to find suggestions for campsites at Townsville and Cairns possibly Daintree if we make it that far. We will be tenting and using cabins on a few night to make life a bit more comfy. Also best things to do in Townsville/Cairns while were there? As we are only stopping a few days at each location. We have a 4x4 Pajero but don't want to do heavy off roading. Light to medium is fine though.

Any and all help would be great...thanks in advance :wubclub:

T'ville to Cairns is only a 4 hour drive, but if you want a break, Cardwell is about half way.

Cheers, Bobj.

T'ville to Cairns is only a 4 hour drive, but if you want a break, Cardwell is about half way.

Cheers, Bobj.

were trying not to drive more than 4 hours each day so Townsville to cairns should be ok for one trip.but will definatly need a stop break half way, were also planning a couple of days at Innisfail. Thanks Bobj.

were trying not to drive more than 4 hours each day so Townsville to cairns should be ok for one trip.but will definatly need a stop break half way, were also planning a couple of days at Innisfail. Thanks Bobj.

Goodoh, if that is the case, have a squiz at Mourilian Harbour and Paronella Park.thumbs.gif

Cheers, Bobj.

Well you have to stop at tully to see the big wellie! Maybe stop at mission beach for an hour or so, that's about 20 minutes north of Tully. I'd say the babinda boulders and josephine falls are worth seeing, they're about an hour south of Cairns. If you want to drive inland a bit Millaa millaa falls are good, there's a circuit of 3 waterfalls, also the drive around Atherton is nice. Then nearer Cairns obviously you have the GBR! Barron Gorge, Kuranda, Ellis beach, palm cove, basically a lot of beaches and waterfalls nearby. We didn't see a lot of Daintree as we just drove to cape trib but you are driving through the rainforest to get there, you can either go to cape trib or go to the daintree village - don't know what that's like. Cape trib is beautiful, but it IS (just) a beach, it'll take 2 and a half hours to get there. Still worth seeing though!!

Paluma is worth a visit, just north of Townsville, beautiful rainforest with lots of waterfall. At the other end of the trip you find Mossman Gorge which is near Port Douglas, also stunning. The road inbetween is pretty dull though! My husband was at JCU in Townsville and his parents are near Port so he's driven it a lot.

Guest The Pom Queen

The waterfalls are the only exciting thing between Brownsville and cairns! Britchickx has given you the info I would have shared! I would also look at Jourama Falls. I will try and post some photos tomorrow

This will be great for my next trip to Townsville. I've been there loads of time and never really bee out of Townsville very far. Magnetic Island is well worth a visit if your in Townsville for any length of time. Might be an option to camp over there too. Nice relaxing place and a very short ferry trip from Townsville.

Townsville has some of the best restaurants I've been to in Aus, surprisingly. The brewery is good too. Had some ribs there one night and they were brilliant. Lot cheaper than the restaurants on Palmer Street.

Archived