Melbourne bound.......where to live??

andymitch7

Hey all,

Newbie here so hope you can help us out.

Myself, my partner and 2 kids (4,7) are arriving in Melbourne at the beginning of Feb as i have a new job here in the CBD :-)

We will be living in temporary accomodation within the CBD for the first month but need to find accomodation after that.

Our prorities are - getting a good school for our eldest, max 30 min commute via public transport to CBD, near the beach, and preferably a modern build of house.

Any suggestions or advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

It depends whether you are going to go for private schools or not, really. Most of the good ( and expensive) private schools are in the Eastern suburbs. At your kids ages it probably won't be a necessity ( most primary schools are fine) so all you need is a nearby train line. A lot depends on how much money you have- the closer to the city the more it costs as a rule of thumb. I would be looking East rather than West, personally.

Modern build and 30 mins to the city do not really go together unless you want an apartment or town house and it will depend on your budget. An hour is more like the commute you would find what you are looking for and actually even living close in it sometimes takes an hour to get to work in peak times.

Frankston train line is the one to follow out and have a look at the stations on it and then check realestate.com.au for property.

If you look the other side of the Yarra try Williamstown, Altona and a lot of people like the new suburbs in the west like Sanctuary Lakes and Point Cook because of the new housing available.

Join up with the Life in Victoria forum there is a link at the foot of this one. A lot of the members are new to Melbourne and they will be able to help you with all the differences from the UK which are many

Good luck

I would check out the Sandringham train line, this has trains every 15 mins to the city, with Sandringham being the end of the line and its about 30 mins journey time to the city. The area along the foreshore near Sandringham is referred to as Bayside (similar to the borough/council district in the UK). Their are some great schools in the area and the lifestyle is very good. bayside can be expensive in terms of rental as it is near the beach and on good commute lines. Start with Sandringham but also look at Beaumaris. If you are OK to look a bit further from the beach, say a 10 minute drive look at the Frankston line and maybe Mentone. Its a busy but fun area with plenty of services and handy distance to both beach and schools and City.

We moved over 3 weeks ago and like yourselves were after a modern house. Over here the houses for lease have inspection days where the house is opened up for people to view for 15 minutes. We viewed 5 modern homes and there were 20 couples viewing at the same time at every property!

A tip I would give you is to view and identify properties online on real estate, apply for the properties on the same webpage. When you have been to the houses to view you can then cancel the applications of the houses you dont like.

Amazingly we were accepted for the 1st house we viewed and it was our favourite property, we cant understand how we were chosen out of all the others that applied.

We move in next week in our newplace in Bentleigh.

We moved over 3 weeks ago and like yourselves were after a modern house. Over here the houses for lease have inspection days where the house is opened up for people to view for 15 minutes. We viewed 5 modern homes and there were 20 couples viewing at the same time at every property!

A tip I would give you is to view and identify properties online on real estate, apply for the properties on the same webpage. When you have been to the houses to view you can then cancel the applications of the houses you dont like.

Amazingly we were accepted for the 1st house we viewed and it was our favourite property, we cant understand how we were chosen out of all the others that applied.

We move in next week in our newplace in Bentleigh.

good tip thanks!

Archived