WA to Brisbane Western suburbs

Cairnswanabe

Hi there. Can anyone give me some advise please. We are hoping to moving to Brisbane Western Suburbs later this year after 6 years in Perth. The suburbs I've looked at are Kenmore,Chapel Hill, Ferny Grove or the Gap. My husband likes Bellbowrie/Mogill (which look great), but I want to be near the high schools and I want my kids to be able to walk/bike to school. Can anyone tell me of how walkable these suburbs are and what facilities they have? Also, whats the main difference between these suburbs.

i know these suburbs are green and leafy, which really appeals to us and in stark contrast to where we are now, but facilites wise - which one is better. Whats important to me is to be near the high school/primary school, a playpark , a gym or leisure centre for fitness classes, swimming pool for VAC Swim, easy access to the city, basic shopping (for milk or bread) plus nearby to a shopping centre for anythig else. At the moment we leave in Perths suburia in a newish flat subdivision which lacks anycharacter (or trees) DH wants a suburb rolling hills, and greenery (basically a mini Scotland would suit him fine!). So after extenssive reasearch Ive narrowed it down to these suburbs as i dont want to move the kids once they start school (so I haveto be in the school catchment zones for Kenmore, The Gap and Ferny Grove High Schools with a nearby primary school as well) and I know that all the schools are good - plus as there are 5 of us, I cannot afford to come over and do a recki.

Finally, can anyone tell me about rentals over there? Are they easy to come by? and has anyone every made the move from Perth, and if so, could you give me a ball park figure of what the cost was for a 20ft container from WA to Brissy and how long it took to get there.

Hi!

we are also moving from perth to Brisbane in a couple of months..and a mini sunny Scotland would suit us too!!! we were there in January and drove around some suburbs, the gap being one, we found it a bit isolated but we want to be closer to the city for the hubbys commute, it is lovely tho, some fab houses but very hilly!!! I got travel sick driving around haha!!

not sure what rental market is like but I think its better than perth as there is more choice and they don't seem to go as fast... but maybe that's coz its xmas time?? we have had a few quotes and range is from 4k to 6k for a container, its crazy, going to cost us double to get our stuff from wa than it did to ship across the world!!

best of luck with the move...exciting!!!

Distance from the CBD (start of suburb -> suburb limits):

The Gap: 6km -> 12km

Chapel Hill: 7.5km -> 12km

Kenmore: 8.5km -> 12km

Ferny Grove: 12km -> 15km

As you say they are all green leafy places in particular the first 3. They are in the higher socio-economic part of Brisbane so schools and facilities are generally better than elsewhere but higher prices comes with this of course. Chapel Hill state primary was the highest performing primary school in Qld in 2011 I think. Kenmore State High has always had a good reputation. The Gap State High is regularly very high up in the results lists above many non-govt schools. The Gap also has 3 well regarded state primary schools. I don't know much about Ferny Grove State High. I think in the past it might have had a mixed reputation but things change. Have you read good things?

In terms of demand/expense I think Chapel Hill would be number 1, then Kenmore and The Gap, with Ferny Grove a fair bit more affordable than the rest of them.

"Can anyone tell me of how walkable these suburbs are and what facilities they have? Also, what's the main difference between these suburbs. I know these suburbs are green and leafy, which really appeals to us and in stark contrast to where we are now, but facilites wise - which one is better. Whats important to me is to be near the high school/primary school, a playpark , a gym or leisure centre for fitness classes, swimming pool for VAC Swim, easy access to the city, basic shopping (for milk or bread) plus nearby to a shopping centre for anythig else."

I don't think anyone of them could be labelled outright better for those things....it very much depends on which part of each suburb you live in. You could have a walkable life or a totally unwalkable life depending on which part of each suburb you plonked yourself in.

I know The Gap a little from previous research so I might use it as an example. The main road down the middle of the suburb, Waterworks Rd, is where many of the facilities are located. If you live not too far from this road in the area where the main shops, the high school, primary school, bus terminus, swim club, football club etc are located you could walk/cycle to many of them. A 385 bus from The Gap Village is timetabled to take around 20 mins in the morning peak to reach the city centre.

If you live up the back of the suburb on the hill sides (it is almost totally surrounded by hills on all sides) you may feel more isolated and your walk score (<- Click me) would drop dramatically from say 65 to 35.

8339777589_5f2e8a3a39_b.jpg

TheGap by fish.2, on Flickr

You asked about facilities so I'll try and outline some of the facilities in The Gap. Hopefully some locals of the other suburbs can fill you in on them.

Getting There

To get to The Gap from the city centre you head west along Waterworks Rd until at about the 6.5km mark you pass between "the gap" in the mountains and enter The Gap. At around the 11km mark the suburb ends and the road enters D'Aguilar National park and begins winding up the slopes of Mt Nebo. Mt Nebo is part of the D'Aguilar Range. Other mountains in the range include Camp Mountain, Mount Pleasant, Mount Glorious, Mount Samson and Mount Mee.

From the map below you can clearly see "the gap" between the mountains which gave The Gap it's name (just below the "p" in the suburb name). Notice how it is surrounded by mountains/hills on all sides so is very green with many nice outlooks from people's back decks.

6336450663_b6623fc3d0_z.jpg

Here's a few snaps I took while coming down the hill towards the entry to The Gap:

6337157106_90f8f47b0f_z.jpg

6336400313_fe77d69790_z.jpg

Five schools, plus others in neigbouring suburbs

Police Station

Ambulance Station and Fire Brigade are just over the border in neighbouring West Ashgrove.

Churches

City Bus Services

Smallish suburban style shopping village with supermarket, fruit/veg shops, vets, dentists, doctors, banks, chemists, bike shop, real estates, hardware, small business services, mcdonalds, takeaway's, cafes etc

6336398305_03dfe80d2a_z.jpg

The Walkabout Creek Wildlife Centre - a simple little wildlife centre that my young kids enjoy (go on a tour):

6337154964_b23242fac3_z.jpg

The wildlife centre is also the entrance to many bush walking, cycling and horse riding tracks that skirt Enoggera Dam in the west of the suburb. The govt is currently considering expansion of facilities around Enoggera dam to include zip lines, canoe launching, picnic grounds, childrens bike mountain training centre etc. Hopefully some of this will get up.

There are also many walking tracks in the mountains surrounding the suburb. Here is a council brochure showing tracks in Mt Coot-tha forest which adjoins the suburb:

http://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/2010 Library/2009 PDF and Docs/4.Environment and Waste/4.4 Bushlands and waterways/mt_coot-tha_track_map_and_brochure.pdf

DSCN3413.jpg\

It has quite a few sporting facilities including a football club that seems well run, with nice pitches in a lovely setting. The football club is a particular favourite with Scottish expats.

6337156198_ae3dc64d0d_z.jpg

6337156504_c0f0b76f4a_z.jpg

http://www.gapfootball.org.au/

A health and tennis club.

"What began in 1970 as The Gap Squash Club with three courts has now grown into a first-class health club and one of the largest tennis operations in Brisbane with over 600 children in the coaching academy and 400 players involved in playing each week. In 2001, the squash courts were converted to a brand new Health Club, the only one in The Gap which now has expanded to accommodate 1800 members and offer cardio, strength and conditioning studio as well as a full range of group fitness classes and a ladies only circuit gym."

The%2BGap%2BHealth%2B%26%2BRacquet%2BClub.jpg

http://www.healthracquet.net/

A children's athletics club.

Regional%20Relays.jpg

http://www.thegaplittleathletics.org.au/index.html

An amateur swimming club:

Picture%20070.jpg

http://www.thegapgators.com/

(Note: Some pictures just randoms from google image search)

A 18 hole Golf Course which, despite it's name, is in The Gap:

header_pic.jpg

http://www.ashgrovegolf.com.au/new/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=50&Itemid=2

A family friendly tavern:

From a newspaper review: "This icon of a great suburban venue includes a playground, kids' meals and an indoor play room with Playstations. But the menu and atmosphere is sophisticated enough that everyone will enjoy it."

745831-cm-life-family-pub-gap-650.jpg

http://www.gaptavern.com.au/

A road cycling club:

clubkit.jpg

http://cycling.isport.com/cycling-clubs/au/queensland/the-gap/gap-cycling-club-893103

Lots of lovely bike paths and parks.

The council website lists 45 gazetted parks from little to big in The Gap alone with about 5 having council facilities:

http://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/facilities-recreation/parks-and-venues/parks/parks-by-suburb/the-gap-parks/index.htm

Here's The Gap's bikeway map:

https://maps.google.com.au/?ll=-27.451466,152.938957&spn=0.044329,0.083513&t=m&lci=bike&z=15

6337156814_871fbb6dde_z.jpg

the-gap-brisbane-008.jpg

the-gap-brisbane-009.jpg

It also next door to a great spot for mountain biking. There are many trails maintained by Brisbane cyclists.

Here is the government brochure listing the trails and information. There are different grades suitable for all abilities.

http://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/2010 Library/2009 PDF and Docs/4.Environment and Waste/4.4 Bushlands and waterways/bushland_and_waterways_mt_coot-tha_mountain_bike_trails_2010.pdf

mt_coot_tha_gap_creek_photo_14_555.jpg

http://www.mtbdirt.com.au/qld-trails/view/trail/22/mt-coot-tha-gap-creek

As I mentioned The Gap is at the entrance to D'Aguilar National Park which has many bbq area's, picnic grounds, lookouts and nice drives nearby.

Here's the Queensland Govt National Parks departmental website which lists facilities in the D'Aguilar national park:

http://www.nprsr.qld.gov.au/parks/daguilar/about.html

6336396667_a7ca06822e_z.jpg

6337149126_6ffc3dd7d8_z.jpg

6336390497_e2066247e4_z.jpg

The Gap's local council library is situated in neighbouring Ashgrove:

See here for library facilities and family events:

http://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/facilities-recreation/libraries/opening-hours-locations/ashgrove-library/index.htm

DgAIYmnPOQHP84e309MuisHB.jpg

Wattle Creek Riding School, The Gap

lessons%20at%20wcec.jpg

http://www.wattlecreekridingschool.com.au/

Hi all

We are a family, also from Scotland, and have been in Perth for 12 years and have really struggled with the place, for many of the reasons that have been mentioned regularly on PIO. One of the many things we miss is the greenery and the hills, and have been looking at locations that might provide this option, Brisbane being one, along with Melbourne and Tasmania being the others. We miss the greenery and fresh air so much we have even thought about moving back to Scotland, but our hearts would be ruling our heads in this case. We are at a critical point in our kids' education and would need to make the move this year, so any others' experiences pf making move from Perth to Brisbane would be appreciated.

A lot of people put us off when we mention Brisbane by mentioning the humidity, but is it really that hard to get used to?

All feedback appreciated.

Hi there. Can anyone give me some advise please. We are hoping to moving to Brisbane Western Suburbs later this year after 6 years in Perth. The suburbs I've looked at are Kenmore,Chapel Hill, Ferny Grove or the Gap. My husband likes Bellbowrie/Mogill (which look great), but I want to be near the high schools and I want my kids to be able to walk/bike to school. Can anyone tell me of how walkable these suburbs are and what facilities they have? Also, whats the main difference between these suburbs.

i know these suburbs are green and leafy, which really appeals to us and in stark contrast to where we are now, but facilites wise - which one is better. Whats important to me is to be near the high school/primary school, a playpark , a gym or leisure centre for fitness classes, swimming pool for VAC Swim, easy access to the city, basic shopping (for milk or bread) plus nearby to a shopping centre for anythig else. At the moment we leave in Perths suburia in a newish flat subdivision which lacks anycharacter (or trees) DH wants a suburb rolling hills, and greenery (basically a mini Scotland would suit him fine!). So after extenssive reasearch Ive narrowed it down to these suburbs as i dont want to move the kids once they start school (so I haveto be in the school catchment zones for Kenmore, The Gap and Ferny Grove High Schools with a nearby primary school as well) and I know that all the schools are good - plus as there are 5 of us, I cannot afford to come over and do a recki.

Finally, can anyone tell me about rentals over there? Are they easy to come by? and has anyone every made the move from Perth, and if so, could you give me a ball park figure of what the cost was for a 20ft container from WA to Brissy and how long it took to get there.

Hi all

We are a family, also from Scotland, and have been in Perth for 12 years and have really struggled with the place, for many of the reasons that have been mentioned regularly on PIO. One of the many things we miss is the greenery and the hills, and have been looking at locations that might provide this option, Brisbane being one, along with Melbourne and Tasmania being the others. We miss the greenery and fresh air so much we have even thought about moving back to Scotland, but our hearts would be ruling our heads in this case. We are at a critical point in our kids' education and would need to make the move this year, so any others' experiences pf making move from Perth to Brisbane would be appreciated.

A lot of people put us off when we mention Brisbane by mentioning the humidity, but is it really that hard to get used to?

We've been in Brisbane for about 18 months now, previously in Sydney for 4 months and previous to that I'd never been to Australia.

I won't comment on most of what you're after as we are a young couple living near the city (Auchenflower), most decent houses around here are over $700k but you could pick up an apartment.

With regards to the humidity I genuinely don't find it too bad. Before I came here, I was never one for heat and was prepared to take a change of clothes to work each day so that I didn't sit in my own sweat but so far I've never had to do that. Late autumn to early spring is beautifully refreshing in the morning with deep blue skies, low humidity and a really nice crisp feel to the air. Playing golf at 6am in any season other than summer is also pretty much perfect.

Queenslanders tend to get up early and go to bed early, particularly in the week but I've found them generally friendly and will readily invite you over for drinks and want to catch up (showing an interest in cricket or the union certainly helps).

If you're after cooler temperatures then the Sunshine or Gold Coast hinterlands would be great for you. Good, close communities as well with the only (rather major) drawback being the long commute times if you need to work in Brisbane.

I'm Scottish but have lived in Sydney for over 30 years. It does get humid in the Sydney summer and I find it hard to put up with, even after all this time. I found the humidity in Brisbane/Gold Coast far worse - I used to visit friends there every summer. To me, it doesn't feel like "fresh" air at all!

The hinterland (Mount Tamborine) has lovely cool breezes but you have to be high up, and the commute to Brisbane would be unreasonable.

I'm Scottish but have lived in Sydney for over 30 years. It does get humid in the Sydney summer and I find it hard to put up with, even after all this time. I found the humidity in Brisbane/Gold Coast far worse - I used to visit friends there every summer. To me, it doesn't feel like "fresh" air at all!

The hinterland (Mount Tamborine) has lovely cool breezes but you have to be high up, and the commute to Brisbane would be unreasonable.

Although summer here can be hot and humid at times I find that autumn, winter and spring are very pleasant. Can't really comment on Sydney as I was only there for 4 months (Feb to June) but found it to be wet, cold and miserable from mid April onwards. I think if you came north outside of the summer season you'd find it pretty much perfect weather wise.

Yeah, you wouldn't be coming for fresh air in the summer. Saying that the rest of the year is fantastic with masses of low humidity, dry, low 20c's, perfect days with many lovely crisp mornings thrown in. Would have the most perfect days like this than any other capital I'm guessing.

Hi all

Yeah the fresh(but often frozen) air of scotland is hard to beat!! and the scottish water i miss that!! my mum and dad live in brisbane and we have been over to visit a few times, recently in january when it was very humid and hot but to be honest i didnt find it too bad, my wee one found it warm but we had the added bonus of her wanting to nap in the afternoons which gave us a rare treat of some peace!!! i think it all balances out, they dont get the cold winters like we do in perth, and i think the rest of the year around spring and autumn are generally nice and sunny, my mum and dad are scottish and love the weather there, like everything i suppose you adapt and get used to it!!

good luck with your decision, they all sound like exciting places to try!

Yeah the fresh(but often frozen) air of scotland is hard to beat!! and the scottish water i miss that!! my mum and dad live in brisbane and we have been over to visit a few times, recently in january when it was very humid and hot but to be honest i didnt find it too bad, my wee one found it warm but we had the added bonus of her wanting to nap in the afternoons which gave us a rare treat of some peace!!! i think it all balances out, they dont get the cold winters like we do in perth, and i think the rest of the year around spring and autumn are generally nice and sunny, my mum and dad are scottish and love the weather there, like everything i suppose you adapt and get used to it!!

good luck with your decision, they all sound like exciting places to try!

If you can cope with the weather in January then you can cope with it anytime! It's well known among the locals that January is the most unpredictable and unpleasant month of the year.

If you can cope with the weather in January then you can cope with it anytime! It's well known among the locals that January is the most unpredictable and unpleasant month of the year.

Well after 14 years in Brisbane and working outside I didn't know that! most of the southern capitals have longer and hotter heatwaves than Brisbane, I have just had a week of over 40deg where I am working in Adelaide at present. But Qld has better winters by far.

Keith

Yep just got to get through January and the weather in Brisbane is awesome. I particularly love spring and autumn. After a while the winters do start to feel a little chilly - but I still do laugh when I see girls walking down the street with a scarf and hat and their other halves walking becide them in a t shirt!!!

Archived