Planning a move to Oz for a year at 19

DavidPrescott

Hi,

I am currently in the midst of planning a move to Oz, and am in need of advice on how to go about doing this.

In the end I would ideally like to emigrate to Australia, I would like to go over to Sydney for a year on a W/H visa to get a feel for the lifestyle and the demands of living in Australia. I understand the conditions such as the $5,000 AUD needed for the W/H visa and the 6 months with one employer condition to this visa etc... I would like to get a good basis to eventually move to Oz so would like to study to obtain a personal training qualification whilst I'm in the country, I would like people's opinion on this? I would also like to stress that this is not some kind of "spur of the moment" decision and I am taking this seriously. I would also be going over alone or with a friend but that is undecided as of yet. I will miss home at times and know that it will be probably the hardest thing I will ever do but I think its about time I did something I'm truly passionate and enthusiastic about, and what better time to do it that whilst I'm young! Also, what is the case about staying in the country beyond the year? Is this possible and if so how? Any advice and comments would be more than welcome!

Thank you!

You sound like you have a good understanding and it's the right visa choice. Couple of things to note:

- You can only study for up to 4 months on a WHV

- You could be eligible for a 2nd year if you complete 3 months regional specified work experience.

Hope you enjoy the country, all the best.

Agreed. Courses are mega expensive here too. I had to study for two years to be able to apply for pr. It cost me over $20k (and that was one of the cheaper courses) and you can only work 20 hours a week (assuming you study more that four months which you would have to to have even a vague chance of staying).

They are making it harder and harder to stay at the end of your course.

Thanks for all the comments and advice, they are much appreciated! I have contacted one specific college about my chosen course and it totals in at around the 4k mark

The problem is, you can't just study anything and then get a visa. Believe me, I looked for the cheapest and quickest way of doing it. Even to go straight to a 457 you need to have studied for at least a year (which you can't do on the whv) and then you have to be sponsored as soon as your student visa finishes. It is not easy at all.

It took me 5 year and thousands of $$$ to get pr. Not to mention the stress.

Your best bet is to contact a GOOD agent (try go Matilda of George Lombard) so they can advise how the course you are looking at would work out IF the rules don't change in the mean time. They changed the rules drastically twice in the time I was getting ready to apply for pr. Adding two years onto my wait.

Given your looking at a course that only spans 4months at the most I can only assume your looking at short pt courses. Id be surprised if that was enough to get your a working visa. A lot of people do those courses here, they are very popular and very cheap for people to do so you may also find it hard to get work. Have a look at the SOL and CSOL lists, your job needs to be listed on one of these lists (keep in mind they change all the time) for you to be able to get a working visa.

Without any qualifications or experience you will find it hard to stay beyond your WHV so perhaps think of Australia as a long term goal :)

Given your looking at a course that only spans 4months at the most I can only assume your looking at short pt courses. Id be surprised if that was enough to get your a working visa. A lot of people do those courses here, they are very popular and very cheap for people to do so you may also find it hard to get work. Have a look at the SOL and CSOL lists, your job needs to be listed on one of these lists (keep in mind they change all the time) for you to be able to get a working visa.

Without any qualifications or experience you will find it hard to stay beyond your WHV so perhaps think of Australia as a long term goal :)

A four month course isn't enough. If it was hundreds and thousands of international students wouldn't have bothered with two year diplomas.

Also, when you find the job title you are considering on the sol or csol, google the number which goes with the job. This will bring up the official job description and more importantly requirements. This is the MINIMUM qualifications and experience you need to apply for a 457 visa. To apply for pr you normally need a skills assessment. There require generally a few years of post qualification experience.

Archived