best shipping companies

tracybayliss

Guest Guest62720

I am a Director of Insure Your Move Ltd.

As part of our on-going risk management assessment we regularly review the ratio of reported claims on a remover by remover basis which is shared with Insurers and is independently verified. Based on the number of insured moves arranged by ourselves the top five removers in 2013 to Australia with the lowest number of reported claims against number of insured moves includes PSS Int, Pickfords, White & Co, Crown Relo and Anglo Pacific.

This is not a recommendation as you will need to satisfy yourself that your chosen remover can meet your specific requirements but this does give an indication, from the records we keep, as to some of the better performing removers to this destination.

We used Crown and were very happy with them although most (if not all) of the companys mentioned in the above post get good feedback on here so im sure you would be ok with any of them. Its best to get them out to quote you and go with who you feel will give you the best service.

Cal x

hi everyone

can anyone help with advice on best shipping companies we have a four bed house but not going to bring all our stuff as most bedrooms are fitted and may just use a 20 ft container would prefer recommendation.

The British Association of Removers Trusted Mover website (http://www.trustedmover.org) is a directory of BAR removal companies which also includes reviews from previous customers if it helps to get a feel of what working with each company is like. Make sure to look for members of the overseas moving group as not all BAR movers are international movers.

I'm a plus one for Crown despite a couple of niggles that we sorted out amicably.

We did have to claim on insurance for a couple of items (fortunately nothing of sentimental value) and that was handled well but could have been avoided if they had read the "do not place heavy items on top of leather suite" when they emptied the container at this end and caused crush damage to it when re packing it for delivery. (Short time spend in storage prior to contents being delivered)

Packers were first rate at the packing stage but delivery guys maybe a bit less friendly when we got here but still professional.

We are getting the stuff we shipped tomorrow!! And we have a time between 8.30-10am (which iv found so far in Oz they stick to the quoted time usually they earlier half!:) ).

We used John Mason they came and packed all our goods on October 19th and then we waited for the container to be filled. They have kept us to to date with the progress. Will let you know tomorrow if we loose anything!! Ally xx

• 2 weeks later...
Anyone used Doree Bonner? They have been recommended butu i have no experience of such matters....

I'm in the process of finding a company to move me from the UK to NZ.

I had originally thought of using a MoveCube but my volume is too large for their crates.

I measured and calculated all my stuff (allowing for packaging) and having been researching the best option.

I saw a recommendation on here for Doree Bonner.

Their website quote made MoveCube look very expensive especially when you have to pack yourself too.

The Doree Bonner website has "40% off" Ads but when you click on them it sends an email which gets returned to you with an error.

I called them up and they suggested someone came out for a "FREE survey.

The Doree Bonner website says the same thing, "Arrange FREE home visit" on their front page.

The guy comes out, measures up and comes up with the same figure I had.

As he was leaving he said "whatever quote I give you will be the same as the website gives".

That's reassuring I thought, keeps to the "free visit" promise.

His quote, when I got it 2 days later, was £400 more than the website.

The website now gives me his more expensive quote.

However if I use a UK postcode that's more than 25 miles away from me it gives me the old cheaper quote.

I've tried Inverness to Manchester and the UK location makes no difference unless its where I live.

I've emailed them and asked for an explanation which they won't answer directly, they just want to haggle a bit on the price.

I won't be using Doree Bonner as I'm moving internationally, not buying a 2nd hand car.

If you can't trust them to be straight up in their business dealings how can you trust them with your worldly possessions?

PSS have been very good with quoting, transparency & communication.

I'm swinging towards them, but going to try the other ones quoted by IYM.

We used PSS and it was THE WORST SERVICE EVER!!! So use any other company, but DO NOT USE PSS.

For instance, our case manager simply did not know how to manage and seemed not to have any sense of what a customer is, things got broken and the quote they gave us was simply a percent of what we actually paid. It was a real bad and uncomfortable experience, but of course.. It may have been bad luck too...

Good luck!

We used PSS and it was THE WORST SERVICE EVER!!! So use any other company, but DO NOT USE PSS.

For instance, our case manager simply did not know how to manage and seemed not to have any sense of what a customer is, things got broken and the quote they gave us was simply a percent of what we actually paid. It was a real bad and uncomfortable experience, but of course.. It may have been bad luck too...

Good luck!

That's a shame, moving is stressful enough as it is without the moving companies adding to it.

Where Doree Bonner let me down isn't just in dirty online sales tactics and sleazy sale men.

It's in total lack of transparency, honesty, helpfulness and customer service.

Their quotes lack detail, purposely obscuring what's covered and what isn't.

PSS are the complete opposite.

Their initial quote wasn't just lower than the Doree Bonner, it was detailed and clear.

I followed up the quote and they were quick to answer with further additions and revisions (e.g. I live in a 2nd floor flat, their quote stated that it was based on being no higher than 1st floor).

Also NZ customs randomly selects containers and bio-scrubs them (the outside of the container), the cost is passed onto the owners of the contents of the containers and not the shipping company. PSS warned me about this in their quote and included the option of insurance to cover this.

The quote I got was door to door, I've yet to get that from Doree Bonner even though I was told by the salesman he'd give me a quote for door to door and not just to Auckland.

In the end you want no nasty surprises and less to worry about and in this respect Doree Bonner are the worst.

I'm not put off PSS as the insurance director who posted rates them in the top 5 for lowest claims for breakages. Good enough for me.

Guest Guest 47403
Will do, will share it all once I have the quotes and the details...

Yeah let us know how they stack up, I have PSS coming out on Tuesday, not arranged any others yet.

Hi all

we are at the stage where we need to get quotes too. We only have a one bed flat and we're not taking any sofas/chairs or wardrobes or white goods, however it's surprising still how much we want to take! I think movecube looked too small so now looking at John Mason what others would you recommend?

Cheers

kez

Hi all

we are at the stage where we need to get quotes too. We only have a one bed flat and we're not taking any sofas/chairs or wardrobes or white goods, however it's surprising still how much we want to take! I think movecube looked too small so now looking at John Mason what others would you recommend?

Cheers

kez

We got loads in a large Movecube. King size bed and frame, 2 sets of drawers, chair, blanket box, 2 bikes, 35 plus boxes, golf clubs and more. The quotes we had for the same stuff in a shared container with shipping companies were well over a £1000 more.

We got loads in a large Movecube. King size bed and frame, 2 sets of drawers, chair, blanket box, 2 bikes, 35 plus boxes, golf clubs and more. The quotes we had for the same stuff in a shared container with shipping companies were well over a £1000 more.

ah really thats loads! were they good? how big in feet is the largest container then? im sure i read it was just over 6ft? must have read it wrong...they certainly seem cheap, dont mind packing it all up ourselves either if it saves us some money.

ah really thats loads! were they good? how big in feet is the largest container then? im sure i read it was just over 6ft? must have read it wrong...they certainly seem cheap, dont mind packing it all up ourselves either if it saves us some money.

They list the exact measurements on their website. Just a case of being organised and a bit ruthless with de cluttering.

I've had 7 quotes so far and what I'm learning is to read the fine print in their quotes.

The cheapest is still PSS, with MoveCrop & Crown the most expensive (By a good £600!)

I believe all these companies are just agents who would hire the same packers in my area regardless of who I picked.

Same goes for shipping.

It can be tiring entertaining several salesman visits to "measure up" so I've only had 1 round who came up with the same figure as I did.

Entering each individual item into a website for an online quote can be time consuming.

I skipped that by creating a spreadsheet of all the large, non-box-able, items and emailing it to them to quote from.

A standard packing "tea box" is 4.5cuft and you'll need to work out how many of these you'll need, for small items, in your estimate too.

For "unseen" quotes things you need to tell them are access to property, availability of lifts if you are above 1st floor, etc.

Insurance seems pretty standard at 3% of valuation (with the exception of Crown who charge a bit more).

Hi

We used John Mason ( Liverpool) ,I have nothing but praise for the company and its employees. The packers arrived on time were very friendly and extremely helpful.

Upon arrival in Perth a company called Wridgeways completed the customs procedures and delivered the furniture etc on time and as promised.The delivery guys were fantastic,nothing was too much trouble,they even put together a very complicated tv stand and fixed the 50 inch tv to it for us.

After reading many negatives on this forum, I am proud to announce a completely positive experience.Well done John Masons

The Barlows - now living the dream yahoooooooo

Archived