Visa advice, submit directly or use an agency?

Baxtersinc

Hi All,

I'm British but have an Australian husband whom I have been with about 4 years, according to the website I can submit a partner visa application and may even be able to get PR straight away as we have been together long enough...

I wondered if anyone else has the same scenario and/or whether generally it is worth using an agency to make the application or if it is safe enough to make the application directly?

Any other her advice would be great too, on shipping etc.

we are heading for the hills district as our family is based there and we are so excited!

Just got got to hope work prospects are good and the house prices haven't gone up too much by 2015!

I applied for the same visa and did it myself. I'm a pretty organised person and didn't find it too difficult. I used the guidance booklet and made my own lists as well. Waiting for friends /family to write their statements was probably the most time-consuming part! Also, don't get a notary to sign your docs, any willing solicitor will do it for a fraction of the price.

We did it ourselves. An agent is useful for complications but partner visas are an evidence gathering, form-filling exercises mainly. You would have to do all of the evidence gathering anyway. If you miss anything your CO would get back to you anyway. We have had no comeback at all. Good luck.

• 6 months later...

I know that every case is different, but I submitted a 189 visa application my self and it went through with no hitches. It seems that it is only worthwhile getting help if either a) forms and processes really aren't your thing or b) you have a complicated family/background/employment etc. The skills submission was a worrying wait, but the Visa process was a breeze.

And as for notaries - I submitted high resolution colour scans of everything without a single signature and there was no question asked whatsoever - I think this requirement harks back to dodgy photocopy days possibly. I couldn't find a hard and fast requirement anywhere of when to to have notarised copies, just advice of who can notarise.

Good luck.

Its a simple application compared to some of the other visa types. Many do so without using an agent.

Download and read the partner visa PDF, make notes, go over it again. Once you get to grips with the forms (don't fill them out in a hurry) and have compiled all the supporting evidence you should be fine. There will be a medical and police check to provide at a later date once a CO is assigned. So long as you don't have a criminal record or some medical condition that may hinder an application I'd think you would be fine going the DIY.

FWIW they are looking for supporting evidence like you being at the same address, sharing household bills or at least having them to one or the other at the same address. Plus stuff like being named driver on the car insurance, life insurance policies or wills etc. Things like photos and stuff are small details and you need only include a few, if any.

Your husband as the sponsor will need to provide his birth cert, Aus passport and proof of his UK visa/right to abode in the UK and/or UK citizenship (if he holds it). You'll need your marriage cert, birth cert, passport.

Good luck with it. There is a partner visa thread active on the forum with lots of other people posting to it who are going through the process.

• 3 weeks later...

I agree with snifter.... I married an Aussie but we chose to use Go Matilda and they smoothed the way. Applicants often send too much information with the form, esp photos and evidence, so our agent focused on what was important and we are certain that helped. He knew what was relevant and what could irritate an Immigration Officer if they have to plough through loads of holiday snaps and plane tickets. We had one minor query at provisional stage which was more of an update than anything else. At the final stage, Immigration asked for our update some 7 months before we expected it. Our agent told us then not to waste money on him as we were virtually there. So we sent in up to date financial and personal information and within days the visa came through. We didn't even have an interview by phone.

My wife thought at first she had been sent the wrong form as it was the mirror of mine. But I am Australian she said! Made no difference so the history was still needed from her.

Things we did to help - put each other on car insurances as named drivers, make sure Club memberships were joint (e.g National Trust and Caravan Club lol), make new wills.

We had a joint bank account but had our own houses and utilities. Joint savings account. Check Electoral roll accuracy. Ensure post is going to your marital home and not to historical address.

I have done all my applications myself - I was set against using an agent after being given the hard-sell at a migration expo and vowed never to use one.

There is so much information out there so provided you are methodical and organised I think most people should be able to do it just fine.

I have done all my applications myself - I was set against using an agent after being given the hard-sell at a migration expo and vowed never to use one.

There is so much information out there so provided you are methodical and organised I think most people should be able to do it just fine.

Well I am sorry you had that experience. We researched agents. Some were pushy but we spoke to ours on the phone and he gave us an hour or so of free time and advice first and our guy certainly didn't give us a hard sell - in fact in my post I said he told us not to use him for stage 2.

I think with the volume of applications Immigration receives, it makes sense to seek expertise. Both my wife and I have certain professional qualifications and expertise but were daunted by the visa process and I am convinced that our agent not only reduced the amount of stuff we would have produced if left to our own devices but sped up the process, warned us in advance of things to do and saved us loads of our time.

But if you are confident to do it yourself then go ahead.

Archived