Which Visa???

sjelves

Hi,

My partner and I are starting the process of moving to Australia.

We are both 23. I am a paediatric nurse and he works in finance. We want to move to Australia for 2 years.

My understanding is that if I can get sponsored by an employer on the 457 visa my partner can come on my visa too.

Are there any other options? I'm slightly concerned that finding a sponsor is going to be really difficult.

Many thanks

Sophie

If your sponsored on 457 visa, your parner can be sponsored as a secondary applicat ( if employers agree, most do), you will need to show that you have been in a defacto relationship for 6 months, I.e living together, joint bank accounts, on same car insurance, wills as beneficiaries etc.

another option could be to travel out on a WHV and try to secure sponsorship from Australia.

Thanks for your reply.

It's not something I had thought about as we are only planning on staying for around 2 years.

As I mentioned before, I'm worried I won't be able to find sponsorship so I was thinking along the lines of WHV but then I'm not familiar with the process of changing that to a different visa so I can stay longer.

Feeling very confused!!

For 457 or employer sponsored - the employer would so the nominating part then you would apply for the visa

or

PR visa - you would lodge Expression of interest after completed skills assessment. Once receive invitation you apply for the visa.

For PR visas you will need to show 12 months in defacto relationship.

I believe it's common to go from a WHV to sponsorship it you fit the bill. I.e easier to get sponsorship once here and building the relationship etc

The issue with the WHV is that you can only work in one place for 6 months and you need to complete 88 days regional work To extend for a second year otherwise you could spend the full period on the WHV.

Why is it that you only want to stay for 2 years? If you intend to travel at all and are a little flexible in what work you will do the WHV may not be all that bad, 6 months in one city, some travelling and regional work then 6 months in another? Sponsorship is quite a hassle for just 2 years, plus they can only do it on a salary over a certain amount so you'd need to ensure you could secure that too?

Archived