Sydney

Guest lulum1986

Hmm, I think it depends what your after. For able guys there seems to be tons of labouring available at $20-25/ hr. Stick an a in Gumtree and you'll be set.

I start applying tomorrow. So I'll let you know on the rest but from frends and looking at adverts.....

There are loads of jobs in kitchens/ bar service side of things advertised but what they pay and how easy they are to secure I don't know. A couple of English girls we know were waitressing for $15 cash (they worked different places so guess that's the going rate?) but it took them a few weeks to find that.

Retail, again lots of adverts but how easy they are to get I don't know and from friends, not full time hours and shifts can vary weekly.

Cold calling and door knocking is advertised a lot too for $700/wk but I can imagine they have high turnover and don't know how easy commission is. There's always the street charity ones too which I understand pay but can be soul destroying as the above.

There are lots of awesome city jobs advertised tonly for long term :( though if you have your 2 years now they may be ok.

If I was on a WHV and looking for work I would head down to Kings Cross and be looking to stay in one of the hostels in Victoria Street or the streets nearby. There are a lot to choose from and they look decent. We stay at the Holiday Inn Potts Point when we're in Sydney on work trips and I know there are backpackers in just about every restaurant in that area, and there are lots.

I know Kings Cross gets some bad press but it's nowhere near as bad as you might think if you just read the papers. I've been going there years and haven't had any trouble at all. I've seen a bit but it's not surprising when you see the number of people that go there on a regular basis for a few beers and a good time. There are lots of pubs, clubs restaurants to choose from and generally a good atmosphere. Great place to get around from too, from Kings Cross Station.

If you make it there tingtong try the refurbished Kings Cross Hotel, great for a pint while people watching. See all types from the balcony there.

Given Ting'a dislike for backpackers I would say that while that's be good advice for many, it's would be Ting's living hell hahaha. Also, huggggeeeee competition in that area, the place is absolutely swarming with the stereotypical backpacker! Though, if you're a bit brighter than the average it would be great fun, not somewhere to get your head down bit a good laugh.

Jackaroo backpackers is really good there, directly above the station so very accessible, free wi-fi and computers for that job hunting.

Cool. What are your plans?

Weather dependant I think we're going to head to Bondi beach for the day/ afternoon tomorrow then maybe go for a couple of drinks locally. It's just me and the boyfriend but you're welcome to join if you fancy it, will just be a chilled day. I'll pm you my facebook, send me a message if you want to meet up for the beach or a beer tomorrow or some point :)

That sounds ideal! Where did you see these advertised? Thanks

Go on 'gumtree' Sydney and put an ad on for jobs wanted.

Dont do it until you get here and are ready to work as it'll likely be quick turnaround. You'll also probably need your white card, having one I'll increase your chances 100x as there are very few places you can work on site without it. You can do it online.

Archived