Building an Eco Round House in NSW (Northern Rivers)

BadgerLady

Hia,

So I have a new old ambition! To buy a plot of land and build myself a permiculture lifestyle in the form of a hobbit house in the countryside.

I'm heading off to a residential course in straw bale building soon, to learn in practical terms how to foot, frame, build and finish in my chosen construction material. A bit of research tells me that it is an approved method in NSW and is even approved for fire prone areas (I was gobsmacked). I'm also hoping to be able to process my own water and electricity.

I've bought and sold houses in the UK, but have never been in the market for vacant land and certainly not in Australia.

Can anyone please advise:

- Buying a plot of land - besides location, what are my main concerns? What planning restrictions are likely to be an issue? And why the hell are some plots advertised as suitable for building SOOO much cheaper than others?

- Building me own house - I assume I'm going to need an engineer to sign off my plans and execution, but what else is a worry? And what should I be budgeting for beyond materials and labour?

- Small holding - any restrictions on keeping some chooks, a goat and a composting loo? Do I have to steer clear of residential areas? Are there any planning advantages to being 'a farmer'?

I'm still carrying out research on all these things but it can be a bit baffling to read through. I'm not entirely sure whether I've understood everything properly, so your anecdotes will be welcome support to the government material :smile:

Hi

Have a look at this link re the Straw houses, id imagine you will pick up alot of tips from there. - http://www.strawtec.com.au/page.php?id=1

In relation to keeping animals, different councils have different rules but you see lots of small holding type properties around so when you have located the land ,check with the local shire on what you can and can't keep (some animals you need a licence for but thats mainly reptiles) and also check how many of each species you can keep as this is sometimes calculated off your plot size.

Lots of luck

Cal x

Some plots are cheap because they're a really long way from any facilities - shops, schools etc and often have no sewerage, no water, no power, no paved roads, no rubbish collection - that sort of thing.

Your first port of call should be the local council (or shire) of the area you want to buy the land in. They should have details of their building regulations on their website and what's likely to be permitted on your block.

Guest Guest40285

Yeah what Nickynook said, I live in the Northern Rivers, the three councils would be Byron Shire, Ballina shire, Lismore Shire, also further south would be Grafton. Good luck with it all, from past experience most of them are a pain in the arse to deal with, be prepared to spend a heap of money before you even start to build, happy days, Cheers Matt.

- Building me own house - I assume I'm going to need an engineer to sign off my plans and execution, but what else is a worry? And what should I be budgeting for beyond materials and labour?

- Small holding - any restrictions on keeping some chooks, a goat and a composting loo?

Your house plans will have to be submitted to the local council for their approval before you start building. This may even include whether you are allowed a composting loo. Once you know which council area you will be building in, you can have a talk to the Planning/Building department and obtain a copy of the building regulations.

Thanks guys! I hadn't appreciated that the local councils had their own rules - I thought it was just the state-wide building codes. So there you go, something very important learned!

Thanks for the link too CalNGary - great resource :biggrin: (Funny enough I am a licensed reptile keeper - got a pair of Bluetongues to control the cockroach population in my Sydney flat!)

Guest Guest40285

You will be fine with the composting toilet, I have mates that have them, lots of councils are really fussy with septic tanks now as lots of land is in catchment areas, Northern Rivers is full of tree huggers and greenies so alternative is often favoured. Good luck and if you need a Horticulturist Im your man, Cheers.

• 6 months later...

Archived